Supplements, Spectracell, Carnitine Deficiency

messtafarian

So I posted here somewhere a couple days ago that spectracell says I have a carnitine deficiency. All other vitamins, minerals and so on were normal or baseline, but the thing that bothers me is that I think the only reason they were like that is because I have been supplementing *everything* for the last eight months. I was still only baseline for folate and vitamin c and several others.

When I was reading about what a carnitine deficiency could mean I read that this deficiency is common in people who are on total parenteral nutrition without the addition of carnitine. Carnitine is also found in baby formula now to avoid "floppy baby"syndrome.

Since I've been supplementing vitamins EDAK, and all the b vitamins, those were adequate. I was also on a mutiple with copper and iron so all the other trace minerals were also covered including selenium. On top of that I was eating a big box of rice krispies every day so that's another like 15 servings of basic cheap supplements like folate and thiamine. I was also taking a ton of extra thiamine and put myself over the top for b12 and vitamin D.

I'm worried I'm really not getting *any* nutrition from food at all. My liver was swollen when I got to the hospital despite lots of caffeine and K2. When I supplement it shows up in the bloodwork but I have no idea how scary that picture would be if I just ate food.

I am hoping the carnitine deficiency had to do with a longterm blockage of my bile duct and low liver function due to infection and congestion; and additionally I decided that despite RP's warning against it I'm going to supplement. Carnitine is supposed to be made by the body but I was not making any.

My problem is getting these damn things down every day. With cypro and aspirin it can go up to twenty pills.

Has anyone else done nutrient testing and found deficiencies? What I am meaning to ask is whether the Peat Diet without supplements is giving people adequate nutrition.

Makrosky

messtafarian said:
So I posted here somewhere a couple days ago that spectracell says I have a carnitine deficiency. All other vitamins, minerals and so on were normal or baseline, but the thing that bothers me is that I think the only reason they were like that is because I have been supplementing *everything* for the last eight months. I was still only baseline for folate and vitamin c and several others.

When I was reading about what a carnitine deficiency could mean I read that this deficiency is common in people who are on total parenteral nutrition without the addition of carnitine. Carnitine is also found in baby formula now to avoid "floppy baby"syndrome.

Since I've been supplementing vitamins EDAK, and all the b vitamins, those were adequate. I was also on a mutiple with copper and iron so all the other trace minerals were also covered including selenium. On top of that I was eating a big box of rice krispies every day so that's another like 15 servings of basic cheap supplements like folate and thiamine. I was also taking a ton of extra thiamine and put myself over the top for b12 and vitamin D.

I'm worried I'm really not getting *any* nutrition from food at all. My liver was swollen when I got to the hospital despite lots of caffeine and K2. When I supplement it shows up in the bloodwork but I have no idea how scary that picture would be if I just ate food.

I am hoping the carnitine deficiency had to do with a longterm blockage of my bile duct and low liver function due to infection and congestion; and additionally I decided that despite RP's warning against it I'm going to supplement. Carnitine is supposed to be made by the body but I was not making any.

My problem is getting these damn things down every day. With cypro and aspirin it can go up to twenty pills.

Has anyone else done nutrient testing and found deficiencies? What I am meaning to ask is whether the Peat Diet without supplements is giving people adequate nutrition.

What's your diet besides the daily box of krispies ? maybe that junk food is the problem?

OP
M

messtafarian

Well I was having serious gut issues at the time. I lived on rice and butter and other very low residue things because anything else I ate ended up giving me daily and pretty comprehensive gut misery. This was only for a period of about two months -- I should not have been low in folate or borderline on b2, regardless, considering how much of it I was supplementing.

Normally -- fruit, sugar, coke, rice, cheese, coffee, potatoes, beef, oysters, sometimes a gluten free pizza or ricemac and cheese. Before i got really sick I'd eat masa harina and coconut oil.