Supplements + Hormones + Not Feeling Good

marsaday

Hi

I am trying to help another guy out on a thyroid forum who is having a tough time with thyroid replacement and testosterone replacement.

He is now off all thyroid meds as they were making him worse and he was doing good over the summer, but come the autumn his body is going wrong again. He is now really tired with less focus and no motivation. He has swollen glands and cracking joints and aches and pains. All the symptoms he had before he tried thyroid meds, but also while on them (hence he came off).

He has given me some more info tonight and he is on quite a lot of supplements as well plus he is injecting testosterone. This is his list:

I have actually been taking 30mg Pregnenolone for about eight months. I take it in the morning. I also take vit b complex, d3, melatonin, 5-HTP, magnesium, vit c, adrenal cortex, L-theanine and 800mg metformin.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going wrong. I have told him he might well be artificially raising his cortisol to much and so sending his adrenals out of whack with his other systems.

His best bet is to stop all these supplements and just continue with the testosterone and see how he gets on.

Anyone spot any other interactions. I mean he is also on diabetes meds (metaformin) so how does this affect things ?

Tarmander

metformin will raise lactate which can add to a bit of the lethargy he is feeling.

With so many supplements and TRT, it is tough to get a clear view of what is working and what isn't. I am guessing he is taking the 5htp, l theanine, and melatonin because he cannot sleep, and the B vit, adrenal cortex because he has no energy. He may be able to just stop all that and be okay instead of taking uppers and downers simultaneously. Coming off might be rocky for a day or two though.

Simplify simplify simplify

CLASH

Diet > supplements.

Many of those supplements are bad news and some contradictory.

OP
M

marsaday

It makes sense with raising and lowering his system. Not a good idea.

i would recommend to stay on all Nutrition-Supplements like B and C,and cut only regulatory/pharmaceutical intake of melatonin,5htp etc.

D

danishispsychic

off all supplements and on LOTS of coffee, SUGAR, whole milk, oj, cola.

..but coffee,sugar oj,and cola are really just supplements.its like white flour meals.empty.

lampofred

5HTP (and probably melatonin too) directly causes aches and pains and low motivation. Metformin will increase lactate and contribute to the problem. All the other supplements like B complex are also likely increasing endoxtoxin, which will further increase serotonin. Serotonin and testosterone have an inverse relationship in males so it is counterproductive to take serotonin while trying to increase T. Lowering serotonin will powerfully raise T and also serotonin is known to cause blood sugar problems so if he lowers it then he might not need metformin anymore.

Coffee and sugar are empty but they are great for lowering serotonin/stress in the short term. Milk and OJ are very nutritious. Whole milk is more nutritious than low fat but it also has more toxins and estrogen in the fat (although the fat also has testosterone and progesterone).

Has he tried chicken liver and aspirin and red light?

If in doubt and you arent a hormone-witchmaster,maybe reduce the Pharmaceutical-substance thing
and keep on physiologic supplements and clean-eating?how about that.

Stupido

i have tried severel supps for sleep improvement, even different brands tryptophane, 5 htp, melatonin, theanine .. while i noticed longer , deeper sleep and a more relaxed serotonin like feeling, it still gave me groggyness and stiff joints after using them for a while.