Supplements For Parkinson Disease

NathanK

From what Ive read, Parkinsons is largely the result of iron oxidation of dopaminergic neurons and preventing further oxidation would be important.

Drinking daily coffee is a great start for its many overall benefits including lowering iron. Donating blood and keeping iron stores low should go a long way. It's been shown that UV rays are a major catalyst, with iron, of oxidation of the substantia negra so staying clear of excessive UV is smart. Conversely, using red light therapy would help. Red light is well known for wound healing, but also as an antidote to UV. That said, once damage has already been done in Parkinson's any regeneration is a tough bet. As a progressive disease, i think it would be smart to try and halt the progressive degeneration first.

Dancing is often used theraputically. There's also a new brain implant device they use to stimulate areas of the brain. It looks promising. Currently, Ive seen it used mainly for people that no longer respond to medication.

B Vitamins and anything that can restore ox metabolism is a good default response for most maladies on this forum...and for good reason. There are a lot of awesome ideas to find on the forum. I wouldnt be surprised if methylene blue could be beneficial though I know it more as beneficial for Alzheimers and beta amyloid plaque reduction.

I have a short journal at home dedicated to Parkinsons in general so this is all off the top of my head. Good luck.

Btw, LDopa is likely what his doctor will put him on. It will help mitigate issues for a while, but it isnt a cure or preventative and in time it loses its effectiveness. Id personally try to save that as a last bullet while his symptoms are still managable. Just my 2c

DaveFoster

Coupling of nos and nmda means that activation of nmda increases nitric oxide. A cofactor of Nos is bh4 without which nos will release superoxide instead of NO, bh4 formation is in part regulated by the thyroid. Bh4 also is a cofactor in the formation of tyrosine which is necessary for producing t4 and t3.

Nmda activation increases learning and memory. D-aspartate increases dendrite formation. Polyamines which have a site on the nmda receptor helps prevent age related memory deficits.
I've experienced some horrible excitotoxic effects of NMDA while taking D-aspartic acid over the span of a week. It lasted for the better half of a month.

haidut

Forum Supporter
By "coupling" I'd assume that this suppresses the activity of NO. I keep hearing great things about memantine; it's a shame it's so expensive.

Preventing neurodegeneration seems like the primary concern, but do you know of any ways to raise intelligence haidut? Peat talks about LSD's ability to accelerate learning, but I can't find very much on improving mathematical/logical intelligence.

Creatine has been shown to actually increase IQ in humans. Google "creatine intelligence". Considering that eating glycine raises creatine, that may be another reason to up glycine/gelatin intake.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks for all the posts and advices :D

Isn't theanine preventing overstimulation of glutamate receptors as well? Could that be beneficial then in parkinson disease?

I will see my uncle next weekend, I think I will advise him to start with b-mix (energin) and extra b1, fat solubles (estroban), taurine, theanine, extra gelatin and maybe aspirin. Getting all vegetable and seed oils out of his house and replace it with coconut oil. I think that would be a good start to begin with.

Excellent point, and there is even an animal study on that if you Google around.

DaveFoster

Creatine has been shown to actually increase IQ in humans. Google "creatine intelligence". Considering that eating glycine raises creatine, that may be another reason to up glycine/gelatin intake.
Do you think 60 g glycine/day would have negative effects? I'm currently at 16.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Regina

One of the these natural NO deactivation mechanisms is cytochrome C oxidase (CCOX). CCOX levels are greatly diminished in pretty much all chronic conditions, and CCOX levels depend primarily on availability of T3. This links suboptimal thyroid status to pretty much all such degenerative conditions. Also, in a state of low thyroid function there would not be enough CO2 produced and as such NO levels will rise adaptively. NO and CO2 are antagonistic like pituitary and thyroid - i.e. the higher the activity levels of one the lower the activity/level of the other.
:thumbsup:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals