Supplementing K2 Less Than Every Day

Franz

I want to try supplementing vitamin K2 in small doses. Thorne's K2 seems like a good choice but 1 drop is already 1 mg a day, much higher than the RDA.

Therefore, I was thinking about using 2 drops a week. I was wondering if the K2 stays effective long enough...

J

j.

Carlson is MK4 of animal origin. Thorne is also MK4, but it uses tobacco extract as a precursor. Some person in paleohacks mentioned that he feels better with Carlson, but that is 5 mg, even a higher dose.

jyb

If you buy Thorne, keep in mind that you could apply it topically so that with 1 drop, much less than 1mg is absorbed.

BaconBits

j. said:
Carlson is MK4 of animal origin. Thorne is also MK4, but it uses tobacco extract as a precursor. Some person in paleohacks mentioned that he feels better with Carlson, but that is 5 mg, even a higher dose.

Wait, Carlson is of animal origin? Are you sure. That means that it will stay in blood longer than the tobbaco plant extract which weston price foundation does not recomend. Or not.

J

j.

I think both are chemically MK4, the type that is produced in cows, so they have the same half life and will stay in the body the same amount of time.

BaconBits

j. said:
I think both are chemically MK4, the type that is produced in cows, so they have the same half life and will stay in the body the same amount of time.

Well, what I meant was, WAP foundation says that the tobbaco plant is "synthetic" and not very usefull and that the natural from dairy was OK. Not very solid evidence was given.

I think that the mk-7 could be taken every other day or even every third day. But mk-4?
To bad not much research was done on k2 for now.

J

j.

ksemen said:
I think that the mk-7 could be taken every other day or even every third day. But mk-4?

MK4's half life is shorter. A person can take more MK4. MK4 is usually sold in milligrams, while MK7 in micrograms.

BaconBits

I was researching today about the difference between MK-4 and MK-7 and the plasma level reason seems to come from the MK7 manufacturer and means almost nothing. Vitamin K1 has also short half life but it works. I am switchin to Carlson 5 mg MK-4 from today on. If its made from tobacco plant it does not mean its synthetic plus many vitamins which are in fact synthetic do work, like b vitamins.

Chrism Masterjohn says this:

"If there were an MK-4/MK-7 combo supplement, I'd probably take it, but I think it makes more sense to go for MK-4 given the choice between the two for the reasons you stated. The plasma half-life reason is utterly absurd, considering the reduction in plasma half-life is due to the MK-4 being delivered to the tissues where it carries out its functions! It's also much easier to get MK-7 from the diet in amounts comparable to the supplements, since fermented foods can be quite high in it and the supplements are quite low in it. "

"The reason MK-7 has a longer half-life is because it has a longer side-chain, is thus more fat-soluble, and thus is located more in the core of the lipoproteins that carry it in the blood then the surface, thus having less interaction with enzymes that would bring it into the cells. I don't think the liver holds on to it; if it did, it wouldn't appear in LDL very much."

OP
F

Franz

Hm I've been reading up on mk-4 vs mk-7. From what I've read it seems that you need a much higher dose of mk-4 than of mk-7 to get results, and that therefore supplements also have much higher amounts of k2 if they are in the form of mk-4 instead of mk-7.

It's confusing! Maybe I'll just go for life extensions (they have both mk-4 and mk-7) and experiment a little with different doses; once a day or two/three times a week.

BaconBits

Franz said:
Hm I've been reading up on mk-4 vs mk-7. From what I've read it seems that you need a much higher dose of mk-4 than of mk-7 to get results, and that therefore supplements also have much higher amounts of k2 if they are in the form of mk-4 instead of mk-7.

It's confusing! Maybe I'll just go for life extensions (they have both mk-4 and mk-7) and experiment a little with different doses; once a day or two/three times a week.

The Life Extension has some black pepper extract, if it burns your tongue, question is what problems could in be doing in intestine. Besides it is more economical do use Carlsons and split the dose plus buy a mk-7 separatly.

There really isnt any studies comparing mk-4 to mk-7, there is a lot of studies comparing mk-7 to k1.
Body seems to use mk-4 and conversion needs to take place from mk-7. Who knows for now.

Maybe a mk-7 every third or other day just to be sure on a basis of regular mk-4. Plus the reviews speak in favor of mk-4. My experience is that mk-7 works, but I will be trying mk-4 for comparison.

OP
F

Franz

BaconBits said:
Franz said:

The Life Extension has some black pepper extract, if it burns your tongue, question is what problems could in be doing in intestine. Besides it is more economical do use Carlsons and split the dose plus buy a mk-7 separatly.

There really isnt any studies comparing mk-4 to mk-7, there is a lot of studies comparing mk-7 to k1.
Body seems to use mk-4 and conversion needs to take place from mk-7. Who knows for now.

Maybe a mk-7 every third or other day just to be sure on a basis of regular mk-4. Plus the reviews speak in favor of mk-4. My experience is that mk-7 works, but I will be trying mk-4 for comparison.

:)

By the way, has anyone here tried high vitamin butter oil?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have, and that is around the time my metabolism super crashed. But I was also doing the liver oil to.

But here is the something to think about. In one of their advertisements for the high vitamin butter oil they bragged about how much and how concentrated the unsaturated fats(omega 6) were in it. Once I saw that, I tossed my overly priced bottle of poison. Even if someone would have said oh I will take that off your hands I still would have chucked it into the trash because it's crap. :2cents

OP
F

Franz

Well, I dont think the added PUFA in it would matter all that much. At least for most people the little bit that's in a daily dose wont really make a difference. But it is definitely overly priced.

ddjd

how do you know carlsons MK4 is animal origin?

LadyRae

This thread is 10 years old and I don't think that Idealabs was even around yet .... Their Kuinone K2 (MK4) is so excellent I don't know why anyone would buy anything else...

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
This thread is 10 years old and I don't think that Idealabs was even around yet .... Their Kuinone K2 (MK4) is so excellent I don't know why anyone would buy anything else...
Lady Rae,
That is a great point.
I will get the Idealabs' Kuinone.
Paul