Supplementing 5a-DHP While On Finasteride?

Walter94

I've been on Finasteride 1mg/day for one month now and I'm thinking about adding in 5a-DHP 5mg/day to raise my allopregnanolone back up. However, I've also read that 5a-DHP can cause an elevation in DHT...which I don't want, since I'm really trying to keep my hair. Does anyone know the extent to which 5a-DHP raises DHT levels in somebody who is taking fin?

Thanks

DatAudioGuy

Hi! I notice its your first post, so welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new here as well, and I'm here mainly because of (former) finasteride use. Hopefully some of the "veterans" of the forum will chime in on this, but I wanted to give you my 2 cents. First of all, although I personally would not recommend it (at all), I respect your decision of going down the Finasteride route for hairloss. Hairloss can be pretty upsetting, especially if your in your early/mid 20's. I take for granted that you have done your research, especially since you are on this exact forum, but I would highly recommend that you catch up on some of the Finasteride threads on this forum.

Now, for your question, I borrowed this image from another thread:
proxy.php

As you can see, it's not only DHP and Allopregnanolone that is affected by 5ar inhibitors (for which you mention the use of 5a-DHP). This whole cascade of hormones is much, much more intricate than what people are led to believe. Trying to supplement 5a-DHP for Allopregnanolone while on Finasteride would be a shot in the dark, seeing that you still would want to keep THDOC and Androstanediol up as well, since these also affect GABA-A. Even if these other substances were available, you still would have no way of safely measuring the doses, and know how the inhibition and/or supplementation of these will affect the endocrine system as a whole.

A much safer option would be to look at your hairloss from a metabolic standpoint. After all, this is a Ray Peat forum :)

All the best

Dhair

I've been on Finasteride 1mg/day for one month now and I'm thinking about adding in 5a-DHP 5mg/day to raise my allopregnanolone back up. However, I've also read that 5a-DHP can cause an elevation in DHT...which I don't want, since I'm really trying to keep my hair. Does anyone know the extent to which 5a-DHP raises DHT levels in somebody who is taking fin?

Thanks
There's a very slim chance that finasteride will do anything significant for your hair. You are playing with fire, and probably for no good reason. Doing damage control while you're on finasteride is not wise, and will not work because finasteride causes a massive reduction in DHT levels that persist 24 hours after taking the drug, and there is absolutely no way that 5a-DHp will counteract such a significant reduction. Some of us have to learn the hard way, but I truly hope nothing terrible happens to you as a result of taking finasteride. Unfortunately, this possibility is much more likely than you seem to believe. Good luck.

Last edited:

Kyle Bigman

Thanks
Hey Walter, have you added 5a-dhp, and if so, have you noticed any improvements regarding the allopregnanolone? Any increased hair loss?