Supplemental Riboflavin (B2) And Insomnia

Vinero

I have been taking riboflavin 400 mg a day. I am getting very positive effects from it. It feels like it lowers my serotonin. I don't have any problems with insomnia at all. Does anyone know if riboflavin is ok to take if you are getting lots of sunlight or using red light?
here is a quote from Dr Peat on riboflavin but he only mentions blue light as being bad in combination with riboflavin

RP: I always recommend eggs and liver as the easiest way to get both trace minerals and vitamins. But you can look at food charts and find things that are not necessarily as good. But you can put together a diet with a high content of certain vitamins. Vit B2 is one that I've seen lot of serious deficiencies; people with red noses, rosacea, nose bleeds, some mood problems for memory and such. You can’t use oxygen if you’re deficient in Vit B2. But besides the fact that the synthetics are so allergenic for a lot of people, if you take up a very large amount (some of the pills have 50 or 100mg in each tablet), it can reach the level in your skin and your eyes where it sensitizes you to the sunlight. Even blue light will react with riboflavin in your eyes and skin, causing free radical change.

Andy316

@Vinero How has your experience been with B2 supplementation since this post?

I have been taking riboflavin 400 mg a day. I am getting very positive effects from it. It feels like it lowers my serotonin. I don't have any problems with insomnia at all. Does anyone know if riboflavin is ok to take if you are getting lots of sunlight or using red light?
here is a quote from Dr Peat on riboflavin but he only mentions blue light as being bad in combination with riboflavin

RP: I always recommend eggs and liver as the easiest way to get both trace minerals and vitamins. But you can look at food charts and find things that are not necessarily as good. But you can put together a diet with a high content of certain vitamins. Vit B2 is one that I've seen lot of serious deficiencies; people with red noses, rosacea, nose bleeds, some mood problems for memory and such. You can’t use oxygen if you’re deficient in Vit B2. But besides the fact that the synthetics are so allergenic for a lot of people, if you take up a very large amount (some of the pills have 50 or 100mg in each tablet), it can reach the level in your skin and your eyes where it sensitizes you to the sunlight. Even blue light will react with riboflavin in your eyes and skin, causing free radical change.

cs3000

@andy316

practically all the supplements are dosed that high, looking around it seems max absorption through oral route is ~30mg so I don't think extra doses at a time do anything more? unless through IV route

Examine says low doses are needed to correct low levels/increase stores 2mg - 4mg for 4 weeks if dipping into deficiency. (and correcting it also raises hemoglobin in the study).
"Moderately poor" riboflavin level lowers iron absorption and increases iron loss. So that's why hemoglobin improved.

"One study assessing riboflavin repletion found that supplementation was able to increase riboflavin stores in the body after six weeks (1.6mg daily)[41] with higher doses (2-4mg) being able to increase stores at four weeks, with levels remaining elevated over eight weeks.[42] After supplementation is ceased, riboflavin stores have been shown to return to baseline after six months.[41]"

Chicken liver has about 2mg-ish per 100g , maple syrup has ~1mg per tablespoon apparently - but is also high in manganese, and high in polyphenols so if eating a lot.might chelate some metals

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals