Supplemental Pregnenolone?

pone

Peat seems to espouse the value of pregnenolone as a hormone. Is this ever given in natural or synthetic form as a supplement? If not, how does one promote this hormone? Is it something we should be explicitly measuring in a hormone blood panel periodically?

kiran

Yes, it should be pretty safe to take as a supplement. I don't think it needs to be measured in a blood test. People around here are taking a wide range of doses, from a few mg to a gram or more. Just need to experiment with it to see what dose is good for you.

OP
P

pone

kiran said:
Yes, it should be pretty safe to take as a supplement. I don't think it needs to be measured in a blood test. People around here are taking a wide range of doses, from a few mg to a gram or more. Just need to experiment with it to see what dose is good for you.

How does Peat think Pregnenolone will metabolize for most people, and why is more better?

Since this is a "master hormone" that can become bad hormones such as estrogen, I would worry about taking it unchecked and not periodically getting a full hormone panel.

kiran

pone said:
How does Peat think Pregnenolone will metabolize for most people, and why is more better?

Since this is a "master hormone" that can become bad hormones such as estrogen, I would worry about taking it unchecked and not periodically getting a full hormone panel.

More is not better here. But some people find that pregnenolone releases more estrogen initially, and it might be necessary to increase the amount to counter the estrogen. Apparently progesterone is required to "export" the estrogen into circulation where it can be detoxified by the liver. Additionally older people may need more...
All in all it's individual.

Ray Peat said:
Pregnenolone is largely converted into two other "youth-associated" protective hormones, progesterone and DHEA. At the age of 30, both men and women produce roughly 30 to 50 mg. of pregnenolone daily. When taken orally, even in the powdered form, it is absorbed fairly well. One dose of approximately 300 mg (the size of an aspirin tablet) keeps acting for about a week, as absorption continues along the intestine, and as it is "recycled" in the body. Part of this long lasting effect is because it improves the body's ability to produce its own pregnenolone. It tends to improve function of the thyroid and other glands, and this "normalizing" effect on the other glands helps to account for its wide range of beneficial effects.

OP
P

pone

I have high total estrogens, and high E1 and E2 which are the two toxic forms of estrogen. E3 is benign.

Are you saying pregnenolone might help to clear E1 and E2 from the system? Sounds like you are saying too low a dose might also increase them?

What does one measure to know the right dose? Fractionated estrogens for one....

kiran

pone said:
I have high total estrogens, and high E1 and E2 which are the two toxic forms of estrogen. E3 is benign.

Are you saying pregnenolone might help to clear E1 and E2 from the system? Sounds like you are saying too low a dose might also increase them?

What does one measure to know the right dose? Fractionated estrogens for one....

I doubt E3 is benign: http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/estriol-des-ddt.shtml

Too low a dose might just bring it out from the cells, making it *appear* higher.
I think most people here just go by feel. Not sure if you're comfortable with that.

Aspirin is also good for reducing estrogen.

All the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K will reduce estrogen.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals