Supplemental Potassium

Is there a good way to supplement potassium?
Anyone had good results doing so?
I also heard somewhere you should not to so without taking sodium with it.

treelady

I take a potassium supplement when my body wants it and I take salt when my body wants it. I muscle test to let my body tell me what it wants and when.

I thought this was interesting... Found it when transcribing the KMUD: Ray Peat-Alkalinity vs Acidity 3/16/2012 interview

RP:
Another person who studied cancer at the very basic level, was William Frederick Kolk. He in working on the parathyroid hormone before he did his famous cancer preparations, he found that the alkaline minerals to a tremendous extent would substitute for each other. So you could, for example, cure... You can take out the parathyroid glands which cause a calcium problem. But you could cure that with sodium, potassium or magnesium.

Herb Doctor:
So the salt could replace the calcium or the potassium or the magnesium.

RP:
Yeah. To a great extent any of those alkaline minerals can replace the others so you don't have to worry about balance so much because having an excess your body can sort them out.

Herb Doctor:
Well that's a good fail-safe mechanism of the body. I think we have another caller on the line.

The full interview is here
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s496/sh/ ... 144f5bf0e7

tara

embs2001 said:
I am curious about this too. I am cautious about supplementing with anything other than fruit and veges though, because I think Peat has said the body does not have such good mechanisms for getting rid of excess potassium as it does for eg sodium.

4peatssake

Jenn uses cream of tartar.
She's been around lately and maybe can say more about it.

As I understand it, a pinch goes a long way as 1 tsp. cream of tartar contains 5 g, or 5000 mg of potassium.

jyb

embs2001 said:

I once did a very large amount of filter coffee. Like, boiled water in a saucepan together with the entire coffee bag. I then filtered it properly. I don't think it was too high caffeine, because despite the huge quantities used, hot water without pressure is not effective at extracting caffeine compared to other methods, and I didn't feel any jittery effect.

Well, after drinking it I got immediate runny stools. Repeated the experiment another time, same results. Not particularly painful or anything, but clearly there was some kind of nutrient excess. For example potassium excess is said to cause such symptom. For sure, you'd get a lot of potassium...

Poppyseed13

Hello. I have a high need for potassium ---and I supplement with Potassium Chloride (buy in bulk from Bulk Supplements via Amazon.com). I add a quarter of teapoon to my OJ and slug away. It seems to work effectively to alleviate low potassium symptoms.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

aquaman

Poppyseed13 said:
Hello. I have a high need for potassium ---and I supplement with Potassium Chloride (buy in bulk from Bulk Supplements via Amazon.com). I add a quarter of teapoon to my OJ and slug away. It seems to work effectively to alleviate low potassium symptoms.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

Bump - what are your symptoms?

Pulstar

Hi folks, I'm thinking about getting some supplemental potassium. Which form is better to get? Gluconate, chloride? Any other?
I'm seeing some people mention potassiun bicarbonate. Is it something you can buy or you prepare it somehow from ingredients?
Bump - what are your symptoms?
I don't have any scientific data, but muscle cramps, imo, is a sign of low potassium.

Last edited:

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

Yeah what is low potassium symptoms? Thanks

I supplement with LiteSalt or NoSalt sometimes. Just a pinch or two in water alleviates muscle cramps. I never found success with drinking OJ. The inorganic potassium seems to be the only thing that helps.

I seldom get them anymore though unless I'm traveling and on a wonky diet with too much salt.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals