Supplemental minimalism

Lee Simeon

Since 2016 I have spent several thousand on supplements each year. I am a 21 year old male and I dont find myself that much healthier than when starting. I know I am moving out next year to start university so cant keep up with the current supplemental routine because of finances. What is a good baseline supplemental routine to keep healthy enough at a low enough cost? Any help appreciated.

Fexxx

I feel your pain. Sometimes it’s better to reduce things first than adding constantly new fancy things. Eating Liver is one of the best Multivitamins and very cheap. Stopping also potential toxic Things would also safe you money. Less coffee, less sugar, less gluten, less alcohol ect. - you know best what’s healthy for YOU.

TheSir

What is a good baseline supplemental routine to keep healthy enough at a low enough cost?
To ingest none. Vitamin D during the winter can be considered. But long term supplementation largely is pointless. Eat food instead of powders and avoid stressors. Your ancestors lived to 90 on just rice ang eggs.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Since 2016 I have spent several thousand on supplements each year. I am a 21 year old male and I dont find myself that much healthier than when starting. I know I am moving out next year to start university so cant keep up with the current supplemental routine because of finances. What is a good baseline supplemental routine to keep healthy enough at a low enough cost? Any help appreciated.
Typically no supplements are needed if your diet is good or if you're relatively healthy.
During stress, magnesium, aspirin and vitamin B1 can be very helpful.
Also making sure your vitamin D is optimal is very necessary, so this might be the only 1 necessary to supplement if you can't get enough light. Alternatively, you can always get a vitamin D lamp.

bogbody

I try ro be minimalist as possible with my supplements as well also having wasted so much money trying different things with little benefit. As others have noted if your diet is good you don’t really need to supplement at all especially if you eat liver and oysters, but I personally think taking D in the winter is helpful and magnesium. How to Heal Your Metabolism by Kate Deering has a great breakdown of how to meet all your nutritional needs with food alone.

Perry Staltic

Find a good multivitamin and be done with it. Easy peasy. Pop one once a day and you know you've got 100% of what you need for the day. Maybe add additional D and zinc, and other stuff not in the multivitamin, like Cu, Mg, iodine, etc.

Velve921

Not sure your budget. But here’s a way I go
About it for a low price. I buy:

gelatin only bulk - affordable in bulk
Folgers coffee; brew at home - cheap in bulk
Turkey Hill Ice cream - cheap in bulk
Coconut oil
Honey or sucrose
Raw carrot
Beef liver - very cheap

secondary - if necessary and budget permits

milk by the gallon
OJ by gallon
Cheese
Dark chocolate

supplement

anti-histamine before bed - cheap
Aspirin - cheap

other stuff that’s cheap:

incline bed therapy - free
Blue blocker glasses - $5
Mouth taping while sleeping - cheap
Red light bulb - $10
Sunlight - Free

Don’t eat at restaurants or pay for alcohol.

these are just some examples. Everyone responds differently. Just start thinking about what you need that makes the biggest changes in your life. I would actually say this is a good thing as you will naturally find more particular awareness because you’ll be forced to keep an eye on your bank account. So each implementation you will find more meaningful.

gaze

a lot of good advice so i'll just add my own experience and thoughts. at 21 years old, i think you should just be focusing on eating enough good foods, avoiding harmful foods (mainly vegetable oils and added iron), vitamin d, and a good environment. I think your body is probably young enough to sort itself out without the use of any supplements barring any serious health complications or past.

Last edited:

youngsinatra

vitamin D3 and K2 drops are pretty cheap. Magnesiumglycinat.
+ maybe pure encapsulations B-complex

David90

For Me Personally, i try also to be as Minimalist about my Supplements as Possible.

I Personally use:

-Vitamin D3/K2 Drops
-Magnesium Oil (aka Magnesium Cholride)
-Taurine Powder
-Choline Bitartate Powder
-Vitamin E Capsules
-Ashwagandha KSM-66

I personally drop the Choline Bitartate Powder in a few days since it's getting WAY more Expensive (it costs 40€ now instead of 22€). Maybe I switch it with a good Vitamin B Complex but that's about it. The Rest of My Missing Vitamins and Minerals are coming from Real and Good Food.

@Lee Simeon
At Least Good Vitamin D3/K2 Drops. A Good Vitamin E and Magnesium (Glycinate or Chloride) would be a good Baseline. Maybe also some Good B-Vitamin Complex if you are not into eating Liver or Meat.

Last edited:

youngsinatra

I really enjoy magnesium chloride footbaths with sodium bicarbonate in it. (1/2 cup each)

The ingredients are actually quite cheap and you can do this 2-3 times a week.

rr1

If someone is young and in a somewhat good health already, you could get away with just a good quality Vit E and B1+B2+B3 to help excrete estrogen and serotonin.

Inabruzzo

Forum Supporter
Our seventeen year old so is going off to college, and we’re sending him with basically what we take here at home:

Desiccated/freeze dried beef liver capsules (180 count per bottle - 30 day supply and 6 pills 4-5 days per week equates to about 4 oz liver.)
Vitamin K complex (120 count)
Vitamin E (mct oil base - 60 count)
Camu Camu organic or other whole food Vitamin C anything (120 count) 2-3 per day.
Any Magnesium Glycinate 200 mg (120 count - 3-4 per day)

This is obv just a suggestion. The indications are not hard science as you know and you can certainly cycle and stretch any and all of the indications based on your metabolic needs. Following that schedule and I'm guessing you are eating reasonably smart (lower pufas, fortified iron, etc.) you could essentially decrease your supplement cost over the long term by stretching the bottles as long as you're feeling decent.

gaze

Yes. Their homemade vanilla
i just found some at ralph's. there's actually two homemade vanillas. one is called
homemade vanilla and it has carrageenan and gums, but they also have a "all natural" homemade vanilla with only sugar cream milk vanilla. hopefully ice cream brands are turning the corner and bringing back normal ingredients

Serge

Who knows maybe freeing yourself of any synthetic drugs will finally make you feel healthier. Maybe the body will thank you for finally chucking all that garbage :)

Velve921

i just found some at ralph's. there's actually two homemade vanillas. one is called
homemade vanilla and it has carrageenan and gums, but they also have a "all natural" homemade vanilla with only sugar cream milk vanilla. hopefully ice cream brands are turning the corner and bringing back normal ingredients

i buy the all natural. They did not give the gum option at my grocery store. But thanks for pointing that out.

Quelsatron

Our seventeen year old so is going off to college, and we’re sending him with basically what we take here at home:

Desiccated/freeze dried beef liver capsules (180 count per bottle - 30 day supply and 6 pills 4-5 days per week equates to about 4 oz liver.)
Vitamin K complex (120 count)
Vitamin E (mct oil base - 60 count)
Camu Camu organic or other whole food Vitamin C anything (120 count) 2-3 per day.
Any Magnesium Glycinate 200 mg (120 count - 3-4 per day)

This is obv just a suggestion. The indications are not hard science as you know and you can certainly cycle and stretch any and all of the indications based on your metabolic needs. Following that schedule and I'm guessing you are eating reasonably smart (lower pufas, fortified iron, etc.) you could essentially decrease your supplement cost over the long term by stretching the bottles as long as you're feeling decent.
Fyi peat doesn't recommend the dried liver capsules because of oxidation problems (iirc)

Mito

Use Cronometer to identify dietary deficiencies and target supplements accordingly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals