Supplement Calcium when PTH is low?

mad539

My food intake of calcium is around 500 mg per day (i'm lactose intolerant) + around 200 mg of calcium with water, so around 700 mg of calcium per day. My serum calcium is normal (2.31 mmol/L, range 2.15 - 2.50). When testing PTH, it is in the very lower half with 2.8 pmol/L (range: 1.60 - 6.9). My vitamin d is very high with 227 ng/ml (range: 75-250).

When checking phosphours in cronometer, is see that it's very high between 2.000 mg to 3.700mg per day, which would be a 1:3 or 1:5 ratio of calcium to phosphorus.
Ray peat says it should be more a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio for optimal health.

My question is, when the PTH is in range, does the calcium:phosphours ratio even matter? Should i supplement with calcium?

lampofred

Too much fat relative to carbs will lower PTH in a bad way (associated with lowered respiratory quotient). If your vitamin D is that high then that's probably what is happening. It's probably causing you to synthesize a lot of endogenous fat or it's liberating fat from stores and displacing sugar, and when you run on fat PTH is unhealthily low.

Yes, calcium to phosphate ratio is still very important. Too much dietary phosphate is very harmful for heart and kidneys.

mad539

Thanks, i will then up my calcium consumption with eggshell powder to reach at least a 1:1 ratio.

mad539

I now start with eggshell calcium and up my calcium intake.

baccheion

Too much fat relative to carbs will lower PTH in a bad way (associated with lowered respiratory quotient). If your vitamin D is that high then that's probably what is happening. It's probably causing you to synthesize a lot of endogenous fat or it's liberating fat from stores and displacing sugar, and when you run on fat PTH is unhealthily low.

Yes, calcium to phosphate ratio is still very important. Too much dietary phosphate is very harmful for heart and kidneys.
Would increased magnesium compensate for lower calcium here? I am assuming vitamin D level is just normal.

How much phosphorus is too much? Would magnesium aid in clearance? What would be the magnesium:phosphorus ratio?

I read about phosphorus ideally being 800-1200 mg. That's not much room to get in many whole calories, especially ones containing protein.

lampofred

Would increased magnesium compensate for lower calcium here? I am assuming vitamin D level is just normal.

How much phosphorus is too much? Would magnesium aid in clearance? What would be the magnesium:phosphorus ratio?

I read about phosphorus ideally being 800-1200 mg. That's not much room to get in many whole calories, especially ones containing protein.

I'm not sure, but my guess is that calcium is particularly important for heart and vascular health and can't be compensated for by magnesium. Dr. Peat in an email I saw on here recently said something along the lines of magnesium intake is irrelevant and calcium to phosphate is what matters for magnesium retention.

Fructose (and cortisol, so coffee, cold, & T3) lowers phosphate so it might help to compensate for high phosphate protein foods.

gaze

I'm not sure, but my guess is that calcium is particularly important for heart and vascular health and can't be compensated for by magnesium. Dr. Peat in an email I saw on here recently said something along the lines of magnesium intake is irrelevant and calcium to phosphate is what matters for magnesium retention.

Fructose (and cortisol, so coffee, cold, & T3) lowers phosphate so it might help to compensate for high phosphate protein foods.
Just as a clarification, I think he said the magnesium to calcium ratio is irrelevant compared to calcium/phosphate, however you still need quite a good amount of magnesium, ideally from milk, OJ, and coffee/chocolate, but also leafy green broth if you dont drink milk or OJ