Supplement Advice For A Middle Aged Lady Who Wants To Lose That Stubborn Menopausal Weight

Discussion in 'Female Issues' started by Hildy, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Hildy

Hildy Member

Hi newbie Peat forum member here.

What supplements are you middle aged but attractive ladies using for weight control and hormone balance?

Any advice would be helpful from other ladies as to what is working for you, but men also.

My research into DHEA is what led me to this forum. I just started with 15 mg. of DHEA cream. Should I also be using a low dose amount of pegesterone as well?

Can't get rid of this stubborn 20 lb. menopausal weight gain no matter what I do. I'm eating better than ever, but since reading the forum, guess I'm going to have to up my carbs. I was doing more fat, low carb but getting no where.

2. OP
    Hildy

Hildy Member

3. johnwester130

johnwester130 Member

the basic supplements reccomended are

a,d,e,k2
    the b vitamins
    progesterone/dhea drops

4. OP
    Hildy

Hildy Member

Thanks! Then I'm doing pretty good as I'm doing the progesterone/DHEA, b vitamins, d, k2 now. I have a multivitamin that has vit E, A in it but I might need to up the amount. Eliminating the starches is what I feel I need to do now ( personally)

5. baccheion

baccheion Member

I recommend getting labs run. A comprehensive hormone, thyroid, and nutrient/NutrEval panel. Maybe even genetic testing. Results will show what's necessary. Good, as you don't want to take too much DHEA and other hormones.

Melatonin is associated with delayed/reversed menopause.

Where's the weight? Stomach suggests cortisol issues. Love handles = blood sugar and/or low DHEA/HGH/etc. Back = same as love handles. All over evenly = HGH low. You can look up the rest.

Vitamin D (+ sufficient calcium + magnesium + vitamin K2 MK-4 + vitamin A; also likes B2, B3, and zinc) increases uncoupling protein (ie, wasting energy as body heat).

1g protein per pound of lean body mass. Added gelatin may take the number higher. Requires proper hydration (many cups of liquid) and good kidney function. And some calisthenics at least if possible.

Essentially, look into the therapeutic dose of all vitamins and minerals. And also consider tamer hormones like pregnenolone, progesterone, melatonin, etc. And maybe DHEA.

Another approach is to first attempt increasing pregnenolone, progesterone, etc with vitamin B5 + C (500 mg : 1g). Vitamin A and thyroid hormone (and sun/light) are the main cofactors in the conversion of cholesterol into pregnenolone. Magnesium oil spray increases DHEA synthesis in the skin.

6. poilochio

poilochio Member

From what I have learned from this forum is that 15mg of DHEA is alot at once for it can aromatase into estrogen. Maybe 5mg at once would be better up to 3x a day (BTW please look into this)

7. teds

teds Member

How many calories are you getting each day?
    What foods are you eating- give us a list?

Supplements won’t really do anything if the food etc is off.

8. OP
    Hildy

Hildy Member

This is good advice, thanks!

I'mdefinitely increasing my calcium (made another thread on it) since I read how good it it for keeping weight off- was not a big milk drinker but I definitely am increasing that now.

Yeah, getting the labs- I haven't had it done in a couple of years.

Melatonin- are you recommending taking it as a supplement? I sleep pretty well. The one time I took it I was up all night, it had the opposite effect so I'm a little leery of taking it again unless you mean taking it during the day.

The weight gained is kinda all over- more in the belly than I'd like. How do you get your HGH up? Take HGH?

As far as vitamins/supplements I'm taking:

-DHEA pill (micronized) it's a 25 mg pill so I empty part of it out and take half. OR I do the body cream method with DHEA cream 15 mg
    -I take a multivitamin ( Pure Encapsulations) plus I take extra 100 mg B1, 100 mg B2, zinc 40 mg, extra vitamin C 2,000 mg. a day, 500mg magnesium glycinate the or citrate (natural calm), vit D 2,000 iu,
    -Ubiquinol
    -Super Enzymes with Ox Bile (since I don't have a gallbladder) (with each meal)
    -HCL 2x a day w/meals
    -choline/Inositol 250mgs. ( Chris Masterjohn has written about this that we are low in choline- plus I use it for my liver since I don't have a gall bladder)

my multivitamin has all the Bs as well but should I be taking higher does of them than I listed since you mentioned "therapeutic " doses?

Maybe up the vit B3? My multi only has 83 mgs. Should I take a higher dose of the other B's than I am taking already or are the dosages good?

My multi has vitamin A listed as 7,500 iu- should I increase that?

I was considering pregnenolone but was a little hesitant since I'm already taking the DHEA.

Just ordered some progesterone cream to balance out the estrogen.

What's Mk-4?

I walk regularly for exercize so I'm getting the sunshine

If I recall my thyroid panel was good ( from a couple of yrs ago) but I've also read that blood work is not always reliable.

I would consider taking some low dose T-3 after having read about it.

9. OP
    Hildy

Hildy Member

That's a good idea. I think I'll split up the dose and take 5mg 3 x a day. Guess that's easier to do with a pill than the cream.

Do they even sell DHEA at 5 mgs. a pill?

10. OP
    Hildy

Hildy Member

Since you asked :D

As far as food( this was my previous way of eating) Since learning how important calcium/ dairy is, I've been changing it up:

This is my average diet before I was enlightened to the Peat way.....

-a green smoothie 3-4 X a week with either spinach or kale ( sometimes both) with a cup of almond milk, but have now switched to milk instead- I'll put in fruit w/ it, cranberries, mango, blueberries, or other fruits - do use 1/2 a banana,

-or 2/3 eggs regularly with a pat of butter and some cheese at time

-some bacon at times with breakfast, or sausage links

- or yogurt occasionally with walnuts, some granola

-or an apple with peanut butter

- coffee w/ either half & half, lt cream, little sugar

-sometimes no breakfast

-lunch usually a sandwhich with mayo and either roast beef, turkey,tuna etc. romaine lettuce, onions, tomatoes- sometimes chips

-or Asian Thai/Chinese with chicken, rice, broccoli, coconut milk, various vegetables, etc.

-dinner, either steak, baked chicken, lamb etc. almost always a meat dish- sweet potatoe 2x a week?) potatoes, more broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus etc., rice

- sometimes salmon

- or Mexican - tacos, burritos, enchiladas nachos rice etc

-or Indian- chicken tikka etc

-snacks salsa and chips I LOVE but they don't love me

Rarely/ never drink sodas, eat chocolate

I do like ice cream but don't really eat it that much

- important note, I think It's come to my awareness that I just don't do good with starches.....at all. Pasta REALLY bloats me, tacos ( which I LOVE) the tortilla chips really bloat me, bread really bloats me, beans REALLY bloat me/don't agree with me, corn, so I think this is where my "problem foods" are-

The STARCHES ..I really do think they make me retain water .....I just don't feel good on them

SO THIS IS WHAT I'M DOING NOW.....

Eliminating the starches, grains, beans, bread, corn ( no tortilla chips etc. :eek:) I feel PRETTY DARN GOOD actually doing this...

PLUS I am forcing myself to drink skim or 2% milk now and eat more cheese, cottage cheese, and dairy

So the starches are being replaced with dairy....

What I have found with eating more dairy is it really is filling to me- the milk kinda replaces a meal, and it fills me up

And I started drinking a big glass of o.j. In the morning......something that I NEVER used to do but I like it and it makes me feel good

And also having the carrot salad or eating some carrots with a sour cream dip.

11. OP
    Hildy

Hildy Member

I'll have to think about how many calories I am eating - I never really tracked my calories in the past because I could eat pretty much what I wanted but when I did eat too much I would just cut back.......but I am guessing I eat about 2,000 calories? but it's hard to say unless I write down what I eat each day and I hate doing that

12. Taotatoes

Taotatoes Member

What is your current exercise routine like? Activity level? Time frame in the accumulation of those 20 lbs? Were you eating the diet as mentioned above when the gains happened or during low carb high fat phase? Whats your alcohol consumption been like? Were you underweight until menopause? Can you look back and recognize any dietary habits (even seemingly insignificant) or cravings that occurred during that time? I.e, more chips which equates to more calories than usual due to hormonal salt cravings etc.

13. OP
    Hildy

Hildy Member

For exercize basically I brisk walk 4x a week. Try to do it regularly but not always consistent.

rarely drink alcohol.

I was average weight until menopause but seems like the last couple of years I have lost 10 lbs and then gained 10- it's like a cycle.

I have strongly suspected that lately, my tendency to hold onto these 20 lbs is related to when I had my gall bladder out some years ago AND being in menopause. I had my suspicions confirmed when I read that others who have had their gall ladders removed also had stubborn weight gain as the result of surgery. People don't digest as well once your gall bladder is removed. I got IBS as a result of this too. So at times I was really hungry and others times not at all-

I don't feel I was getting enough nutrients as a result so maybe ate more at times.

Have been trying to remedy the lack of having a gallbladder by ( now) taking digestive enzymes with Ox bile and choline. I haven't been consistent in this so my goal is to take them regularly and they really help.

Yeah when I was eating too many carbs in the form of tortilla chips - salty stuff nuts things like that

14. Taotatoes

Taotatoes Member

Ahh, good stuff to know!

If were you I'd definitely start some form of strength/resistance training to gain/maintain muscle (it will help in a myriad of ways) but the main aim is to restore your metabolism (menopause + the same as always eating habits + loss of muscle due to aging and being mostly sedentary = quicker than usual fat gains).

Women need to continue to strengthen the core throughout ALL phases of life, but even more so to support the laxity which starts to occur within the reproductive system during menopause. A lot of women think the midsection weight gain/pooch is just fat or hormonal bloat, but in reality it has a lot to do with those organs/parts no longer getting their monthly "workout" through cramping/contracting and thus it all starts to sag/swell outwards.

Kegels, Pilates and yoga is a great place to start, but isn't enough to create lean mass gains to promote balanced hormones/metabolism. A well rounded exercise routine of low impact LISS cardio, strength and mobility/meditation, plus what you're already doing (while tracking TDEE and calories for a few weeks) should give you a good push in the right direction.

Just remember to enjoy your workouts both on a physiological/physiological level and the mind/body will respond in kind. If you need any suggestions on where to find some great freebie workout videos you can do at home I would be happy to help, just DM.

15. OP
    Hildy

Hildy Member

I agree, I probably have to do some strength training in addition to my walking. I used to do it in a limited way- but I have to be careful due to spinal surgery I had years ago.

16. poilochio

poilochio Member

Well I don't know about pills I have a liquid DHEA and also pure bulk DHEA powder... I do need a scale for that

17. Taotatoes

Taotatoes Member

If you're able to afford or have coverage to start out exercising with a physiotherapist in the early stages that would be of great benefit, they will put together an appropriate program based on your limitations. I too know those back issue woes all too well and will probably need some osteophyte removal through my 40s/50s, but from my experience/struggles something is always better than nothing. ☺️

Have you ever heard of the "Sit to be Fit" PBS series? Super popular with older and limited mobility folk. Essentrics and Callanetics are both awesome gentle workout programs that focus on creating dancers strength throughout the entire body without putting tons of stress or pressure on the joints. These workouts can be a lil dry... but hey, its all good if it works. :woot: Lol. Well wishes and luck to you!

18. OP
    Hildy

Hildy Member

No never heard of that but doesn't really sound like something I'd be interested in tbh. Maybe if I was an old fart or something :D I don't have trouble with arm work using the weights- I actually have pretty good muscle tone-I just have to be careful about my back- used to do a lot of exercize- too much probably and now have to be careful of my spine because it's fused.

19. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

Oh my gosh, I don’t think we are old yet just because we are in menopause. :lol:

20. Dolomite

Dolomite Member

@Taotatoes said:
    "Women need to continue to strengthen the core throughout ALL phases of life, but even more so to support the laxity which starts to occur within the reproductive system during menopause. A lot of women think the midsection weight gain/pooch is just fat or hormonal bloat, but in reality it has a lot to do with those organs/parts no longer getting their monthly "workout" through cramping/contracting and thus it all starts to sag/swell outwards."
    I like Katy Bowman and her alignment exercises. Almost everyone has tight psoas between the lower back and femurs and that will cause the lower abdomen and any external fat layer to stick out. You can see it even on low weight people. I wonder if the compression of the gut can cause some digestive problems, too.