Super weird blood labs... Vitamin D over 100ng/ml, Trigs 345!

RealNeat

What in the world is going on, this is quite the mystery.

I eat a very high dairy diet, milk, cream cheese, cheese etc

But I BARELY supplement vitamin D. Sometimes I'll supplement 2-5000 IU transdermally for like a week and then stop. In no way shape or form am I religious enough nor do I take a high enough dose for 100ng/ml?!

My cholesterol and trigs are high. Cholesterol above 270 and trigs in the mid 300's.

As a cherry on top I live in Minnesota, super cold and I work in an office with minimal sunlight exposure all summer previous to this winter.

Let's brainstorm...

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I'll put some more context to this as I'm working in a cohesive theory.

1. I am slightly overweight and the extra fat likely has some impact on everything, but I've been eating low PUFA for many years. It's mainly because I'm very sedentary and probably still slightly hypo with tsh around 1.9.

2. The day I took my bloodwork I had eaten a roast beef sandwich with high oleic corn chips and a side of yoghurt. This was about 2.5 hours before the blood draw.

3. I take transdermal vitamin D vigorously rubbed into inner elbows, WHEN I take it, which isn't often. I usually take ~10,000 IU a day TRANSDERMAL. The idea is that only 10-20% gets absorbed, maybe in my case it's much more, even though the last time I took D was like a month before blood draw and I only applied for like a week.

3. My liver enzymes are very slightly elevated, I don't pay much mind to low fat or carb as long as I'm eating clean sources and saturated fat. That's probably giving rise to a lot of issues through the Randle cycle and insulin sensitivity. Likely a fatty liver.

Waiting on T results to see any hormonal abnormalities.

I'll put some more context to this as I'm working in a cohesive theory.

1. I am slightly overweight and the extra fat likely has some impact on everything, but I've been eating low PUFA for many years. It's mainly because I'm very sedentary and probably still slightly hypo with tsh around 1.9.

2. The day I took my bloodwork I had eaten a roast beef sandwich with high oleic corn chips and a side of yoghurt. This was about 2.5 hours before the blood draw.
LOL This is a reason for the high cholesterol...you have to fast for 12 hours or your fatty food will make you look worse than you are. Didn't they tell you to fast?
3. I take transdermal vitamin D vigorously rubbed into inner elbows, WHEN I take it, which isn't often. I usually take ~10,000 IU a day TRANSDERMAL. The idea is that only 10-20% gets absorbed, maybe in my case it's much more, even though the last time I took D was like a month before blood draw and I only applied for like a week.
Sometimes the amount of D in the bottle is higher or lower than stated, try a different brand perhaps.

Usually higher but in range last one, same blood draw was 9.6 Mg/dL. Previously it was 10.1
9.6 is perfect. 10.1 is the limit and you shouldn't stay there all the time or test higher than that, especially often.
Maybe your dairy sources are high in D?

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

LOL This is a reason for the high cholesterol...you have to fast for 12 hours or your fatty food will make you look worse than you are. Didn't they tell you to fast?

Sometimes the amount of D in the bottle is higher or lower than stated, try a different brand perhaps.

Right that's what I was thinking, I said wait a minute... there's no way the food didn't impact it. My dairy sources could have more vitamin D than stated, however, my wife and I drink the same milk and her levels were low. I eat more than she does however, but I doubt so much more that her levels are low and mine very high.

Supplement variation is likely, I take only reputable brands no Amazon mystery crap. I take Carlson and now brands but it's very rare that I do. If I took it every day religiously or at very high doses I'd say otherwise.

What's more, im darker skinned, so it's not like I'm getting vitamin D at 1 UV index... which is now is and has been

I remember when I was younger and I took too much vitamin d and calcium...i ended up feeling really weird in my head and took days to resolve after quitting the supplements. If you feel fine, I suspect it's okay for you

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I remember when I was younger and I took too much vitamin d and calcium...i ended up feeling really weird in my head and took days to resolve after quitting the supplements. If you feel fine, I suspect it's okay for you
I remember Ray mentioning that heat lamps/ very bright light can actually increase vitamin D WITHOUT UVB, I sit by one at home. I'm wondering if it's possibly increasing D. But then most people who do that on this forum would also have levels that high. I've gotten labs done before when I was vegan and I was low 30s on D. About 7 years ago.

I remember Ray mentioning that heat lamps/ very bright light can actually increase vitamin D WITHOUT UVB, I sit by one at home. I'm wondering if it's possibly increasing D. But then most people who do that on this forum would also have levels that high. I've gotten labs done before when I was vegan and I was low 30s on D. About 7 years ago.
that is super awesome, maybe i should try

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

"Request a test" says fasting isn't required but may be necessary if unusual test results are seen.

Jman

I rubbed 50,000 iu's, Carlsons brand, into my arms everyday for 4 months and my level only rose from 30 ng - 43 ng.

Ray might have something interesting to say if you email him about it.

Razvan

I think you should be more strict not eat whatever you want like you posted in one of your threads. Too much dairy , try some rice with proteins, no wheat.

Try low fat - high-ish soluble fiber diet + warm teas between meals + some activated charcoal.
For few years I was eating high fat diets + used probably too much vit D. Got psoriasis. Psoriasis went down only when fasting or doing this approach. Also on this type of diet my night heartrate went down.

Dave Clark

I had read that it can take months to bring down high levels of storage D. I would drop any supplemental D, oral or topical, and test again in a few months. If we get proper sun exposure in the warm weather season, our bodies are designed to use the D that is stored in adipose tissue for the winter, we have been doing this for centuries without supplementation, this is nature's design. Additionally, storage D testing in the serum does 'not' reflect what we may have in storage in our body, so a 'low' number doesn't necessarily mean we are deficient, active D levels are more important in testing.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Many good responses.

Yes, fast for a more representative lipid profile.

Vitamin D, 25 hydroxy will not convert to 1,25 hydroxy under some situations. This conversion is partly magnesium dependent.

If dietary calcium is high enough, I'd imaging the need for vitamin D and its conversion will be slowed down.

For an accurate picture, always draw these labs together.
- Calcium (and ionized)
- Phosphorus
- iPTH
- Vitamin D (25 hydroxy)
- Calcitriol (1,25 hydroxy)
- Prolactin

Good luck

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals