Super Warming Hashbrowns

I made these based on Matt Stone's idea of "maximize salt and carbs in proportion to water," and they were the most warming food I've ever had, raising my body temperature over a degree to 99.0F.

Ingredients:
  • Two large russet potatoes
  • 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • salt to taste (add tons of salt!)

Recipe:
  1. Peel potatoes and remove eyes
  2. Grate potatoes in cheese grater or food processor
  3. Warm up a large frying pan and add coconut oil
  4. Spread potatoes evenly in frying pan
  5. Flip once, and then cover with salt

tara

Thanks for this reminder. Hash browns with eggs and cranberry sauce for dinner. Kids happy, after first complaining about not getting bought (PUFA) ones.

jyb

Do you know the theoretical reason why maximizing carbs in proportion to water is good? Only thing I see is that too much water without salt is bad, but otherwise...

Also, you say your temps rose, but for how long? A meal can raise temps because of the warm food and digestion without it having any relation to metabolism.

OP
CellularIconoclast
jyb said:
Do you know the theoretical reason why maximizing carbs in proportion to water is good? Only thing I see is that too much water without salt is bad, but otherwise...

I don't know the mechanism for sure, but in hypothyroidism renal glomerular filtration is significantly impaired, so the kidneys are unable to compensate for excessive water intake and mild hyponatremia is common, or perhaps even chronic. Increasing salt and reducing water would help avoid activation of osmotic stress responses. This would avoid vasoconstriction and warm the hands and feet, causing a person to feel warmer even if body temperature itself is unaffected.

It's a common observation amongst Matt Stone and his followers that avoiding an excessive water intake and increasing salt is key to successfully raising metabolism. Personally I've also found having a lot of liquids without salt (OJ, milk) makes my hands and feet feel very cold and drops my pulse and body temperature. I seem to do a lot better with dry starches than sugary liquids unless it's a hot day and I replace my normal water intake with the liquids. I think the warming effect here lasts a few hours, but I've been eating this several times a day and it has helped me keep my metabolism steadily higher.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have ate this 3 days in a row. Much heat! :mrgreen:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm making them tonight! Thanks for the inspiration CellularIconoclast!

Inaut

Anybody still doing this? I could eat pounds of hash browns and would be happy as a fly in _____ but it's quite laborious to make....? Also, does anybody know of store bought hashbrowns that aren't full of crud?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals