Sunshine helpful against diabetes.

LucyL

But don't worry, a simple nitric oxide cream has the same effect. :roll: No need to go outside.

Sunlight is key to fighting diabetes.

A natural gas called nitric oxide, which is released by the skin after exposure to sunlight, helps people to control their metabolism and slow weight gain.

Rubbing a cream containing nitric oxide on to the skin can have the same effect, experts from the University of Edinburgh have found.

The discovery could lead to a treatment that halts the progress of Type 2 diabetes, which is fuelled by obesity and an unhealthy lifestyle and costs the NHS £9billion a year.

Scientists from Edinburgh and Southampton, led by colleagues at the Telethon Kids Institute in Perth, Western Australia, found applying nitric oxide to the skin of overfed mice had the same effect of curbing weight gain as exposing them to ultra-violet light.

pboy

theres no replacement for actual sun. Im sure there is more undiscovered factors to it, and probably some that will never be chemically understood...only through experience. Its a type of nourishment that is unique and necessary. I don't know exactly what it helps, but it is a huge reliever...and gives resilience. Its probably more than vitamin D...im pretty sure of it

I think everyone should maintain a light tan as many days as possible for optimal health...its hard sometimes, but any chance its good to get at least 15-30 minutes.
I think wounds heal much quicker in sunlight...I cant say for sure, but ive tried to watch it and it appears that way. Its also anti microbial. The more full body exposure the better

SaltGirl

What about us who live where the sun don't shine? Summer in Iceland was rain almost all the time, and now it's just cloudy and the few days of sun we get are cold and the sun is low in the air.

pboy

get as much as you can! ive found it takes about 2 hours or so, 1h hour a day consecutive to get a light tan that lasts a few days...so I dunno, it might be hard and don't stress but if you can, like if I lived there id make it a priority to watch for opportunities...or at least id be aware of it

your body is probably adapted to take it in rapidly, so you might need less...im not sure from personal experience how Id handle it, ive lived in texas all my life and its pretty sunny here most of the year