Sunglasses and natural light?

Curt :-)

Hi all :):
Does anyone know wether wearing sunnies reduces the positive effects of being in natural light? I find I almost NEED to wear my sunnies outside as the sun just about blinds me. If I don't have my sunnies, I usually walk around looking at the ground because the sun is just so bright to me for some reason. I do spend a reasonable amount of time outdoors (with my sunnies on), and have a semi-outdoors job.
Also, if Im outside without my sunnies for a while, I squint so much that my face wrinkles up real bad lol.

Any input would be appreciated :):

Curt

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good question.

We talked a little bit about it , click here.

OP
C

Thanks Charlie. I did do a quick search but didn't come across this. Cheers

pboy

sunlight should never be a problem...I don't know what factors contribute to people being sensitive. I started out not being sensitive to the sun, then became highly sensetive, and now am not sensitive at all to it. Sunglasses should only be worn at night for purposes of looking cool

Mittir

Here is a RP quote on light sensitivity.
With aging, there is not only a tendency to have chronically higher free fatty acids in the blood, but for those fatty acids to be more unsaturated. The phospholipids of mitochondria and microsomes become more unsaturated with aging (Laganiere and Yu, 1993, Lee, et al., 1999). In the human retina there is a similar accumulation of PUFA with aging (Nourooz-Zadeh and Pereira, 1999), which implies that the aged retina will be more easily damaged by light.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fa ... ion3.shtml

IIRC,In one of the audio interview RP recommended someone to use
amber sunglass to protect eyes against blue lights.

paper_clips43

Yes! This confirms my desire to wear sunglasses when using my lap top.

IIRC Vitamin A can help with the eyes adjusting to sun light.

I remember when I started eating liver a year and a half ago I squinted a lot less when in the sun and overall barely ever used my sunglasses.

dd99

Mittir said:
IIRC,In one of the audio interview RP recommended someone to use
amber sunglass to protect eyes against blue lights.
That's very interesting, Mittir. So is the consensus on sunglasses not to wear them? Or, if you have to wear them because it's so bright (like Charlie said, for example, when driving), should we only wear ones with amber lenses to filter out the blue light?

SQu

I never went without sunglasses till last summer I suddenly realized I didn't feel the need anymore. Glare doesn't bother me now and there is plenty glare here. But I'm guessing you shouldn't force it.

pboy

once your system is clear on the inside and you have good blood flow, and vit a and e/c basic endogenous antioxidants the sun wont bother you

im almost certain serotonin makes sensitive to the sun, most herbs known to raise serotonin also are known to make people sensitive to sun. I drive around and walk around everywhere (I live in texas, its sunny all the time here and really hot), and everyone is wearing sunglasses and it doesn't make sense to me. All windows up and visors down and people squint....I can look directly into the direction the sun is coming at, up toward the sky and keep my eyes fully open. Maybe most people around here are undernourished as fat as far soluble antioxidants and lutein and stuff like that, and probably all have high serotonin. Theres a big time connection between gut inflammation (aka fat, a belly) and serotonin levels, and also im pretty certain sesetivity to the sun

they probably do protect if you are sensitive...but its a good thing to know that you shouldn't need them when in optimum health. So I guess use it as an indicator or progress

(btw I used to be highly sensitive toward the sun when in my lesser health states, partying and late nights and fast food and all that, back in the day, but as a kid and as soon as I started changing my diet and lifestyle, the sensitivity went away over time)

dd99

Thanks, sueq. pboy, your comments struck a chord, because I - for the first time in my life - haven't needed sunnies outside in the middle of summer. If it's an indicator of progress, then I have definitely made some.

pboy

awesome man, good going

I think vit a/e/lutein might all be involved and overall antioxidant status

SQu

Serotonin! Of course. For me the biggest symptom of high serotonin is sunlight sensitivity. I use this as an indicator. When I am trying to avoid a migraine I take note of light sensitivity and if it's higher than usual I make sure to get more light during the day at intervals. A pre migraine state for me is very like a hangover and if I get enough light all symptoms including light sensitivity dissipate and no migraine happens. It really works for me but if you're too far down the line maybe light on the body not the face might be more tolerable, or even red light. This system might not work in cloudy climates though.
I've also always noticed that the blue light of ultraviolet lighting makes me feel a bit hungover.

SQu

It's surprisingly liberating to throw away your sunglasses. Not a benefit I was expecting!

OP
C

I've been feeling less blinded by the sun recently, so hopefully that's a good sign, though it's winter here and the sun does not have much kick. Bring on summer!!

SQu

It's winter here too and it's very bright though warm not hot except from behind a window. I think it's the light that matters more than the heat, if the latitude is not too high. It's 35 degrees + that's the problem IIRC.