Sunbathing Causes Shortness Of Breath, Palpitations, Weakness, High Pulse

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

It would be also interesting to try eating just sodium (soda bicarbona) and just chloride (potassium chloride?), to see which one is the culprit.

Diokine

This is going to seriously get into the weeds, but hopefully we can find something useful there.

I wonder - how old are you? The reason I ask is because I'm framing this in the context of a drop in blood pressure due to changes in the osmotic pressure maintained in your blood vessels, essentially caused by a rapid condensation of and inability to retain calcium. High parathyroid hormone would be a fundamental mechanism in this. Additionally, the role of transient receptor potential channels (ion channels which are very important for maintaining mineral and electrolyte levels,) and histamine (along with nitric oxide) would probably play a big role. Parathyroid hormone tends to rise with age, especially in women.

Heat stress presents a complex stimulus to our bodies. Maintaining temperature in a comfortable range is critical in managing this stimulus, and sweating is obviously one way we handle this. But our bodies ability to perceive the temperature and the effect of it's efforts to maintain it are pretty tricky. So we feel hot, parts of our hypothalamus register this, and tell our brains to talk to our tissue to cause them to condense water and to squeeze it out of glands on our skin. Human beings are the most capable at sweating, and I think the complexity of our nervous system and the systems for maintaining fluid levels and electrolytes are responsible for this. We need to maintain a hot brain and high metabolism, but if we couldn't throttle this quickly we would be much more likely to overheat and suffer serious consequences.

So the brain says to the body "cool off" - and the nervous system is activated to relay this signal. Acetylcholine is the primary actor in this context, and basically what it can be imagined as doing is extending the duration and phase of particular electrical signals which exhibit characteristic frequencies to activate the systems responsible for accumulating "sweat." Well this is all fine but that system is intimately connected with the system that controls blood pressure and electrolyte balance. So here we have a potential to send a signal that could significantly alter the dynamics of our circulatory system which would require intervention from other systems to maintain homeostasis.

What these nervous signals do essentially is activate certain receptors which then selectively allow for movement of water, minerals, and other compounds. Transient receptor potential channels are intimately involved here. So pulling all of these minerals and water out of your blood is going to require good communication between the systems maintaining them. In cases where calcium levels are not maintained with good range (high parathyroid, low vitamin D, inflammation, etc.) opening these channels can lead to a precipitous drop in serum ionized calcium levels, which is pretty stressful.

Histamine is definitely going to factor in to this movement of calcium, and exposure to sunlight could be said to stimulate the release of histamine from mast cells. In a case where parathyroid hormone is high and calcium lability is low, exposure to sunlight and release of histamine could reduce sweating and would represent a condition not unlike a mild allergic reaction, with a drop in blood pressure and generalized swelling due to inability to orchestrate fluid movement.

How does salt play into this? Increased sodium intake, especially in women nearing menopause, has been shown to increase excretion of calcium and decrease serum calcium. Decreasing sodium intake seems to a viable approach, and I'd be curious to see the results of your experiment. There is a lot more to the picture here, including sympathetic nervous drive, adrenergic fluency, etc, but I don't have the capacity to organize these thoughts currently.

The effect of dietary sodium on calcium metabolism in premenopausal and postmenopausal women
upload_2020-7-26_12-20-19.png

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

This is going to seriously get into the weeds, but hopefully we can find something useful there.

I wonder - how old are you? The reason I ask is because I'm framing this in the context of a drop in blood pressure due to changes in the osmotic pressure maintained in your blood vessels, essentially caused by a rapid condensation of and inability to retain calcium. High parathyroid hormone would be a fundamental mechanism in this. Additionally, the role of transient receptor potential channels (ion channels which are very important for maintaining mineral and electrolyte levels,) and histamine (along with nitric oxide) would probably play a big role. Parathyroid hormone tends to rise with age, especially in women.

Heat stress presents a complex stimulus to our bodies. Maintaining temperature in a comfortable range is critical in managing this stimulus, and sweating is obviously one way we handle this. But our bodies ability to perceive the temperature and the effect of it's efforts to maintain it are pretty tricky. So we feel hot, parts of our hypothalamus register this, and tell our brains to talk to our tissue to cause them to condense water and to squeeze it out of glands on our skin. Human beings are the most capable at sweating, and I think the complexity of our nervous system and the systems for maintaining fluid levels and electrolytes are responsible for this. We need to maintain a hot brain and high metabolism, but if we couldn't throttle this quickly we would be much more likely to overheat and suffer serious consequences.

So the brain says to the body "cool off" - and the nervous system is activated to relay this signal. Acetylcholine is the primary actor in this context, and basically what it can be imagined as doing is extending the duration and phase of particular electrical signals which exhibit characteristic frequencies to activate the systems responsible for accumulating "sweat." Well this is all fine but that system is intimately connected with the system that controls blood pressure and electrolyte balance. So here we have a potential to send a signal that could significantly alter the dynamics of our circulatory system which would require intervention from other systems to maintain homeostasis.

What these nervous signals do essentially is activate certain receptors which then selectively allow for movement of water, minerals, and other compounds. Transient receptor potential channels are intimately involved here. So pulling all of these minerals and water out of your blood is going to require good communication between the systems maintaining them. In cases where calcium levels are not maintained with good range (high parathyroid, low vitamin D, inflammation, etc.) opening these channels can lead to a precipitous drop in serum ionized calcium levels, which is pretty stressful.

Histamine is definitely going to factor in to this movement of calcium, and exposure to sunlight could be said to stimulate the release of histamine from mast cells. In a case where parathyroid hormone is high and calcium lability is low, exposure to sunlight and release of histamine could reduce sweating and would represent a condition not unlike a mild allergic reaction, with a drop in blood pressure and generalized swelling due to inability to orchestrate fluid movement.

How does salt play into this? Increased sodium intake, especially in women nearing menopause, has been shown to increase excretion of calcium and decrease serum calcium. Decreasing sodium intake seems to a viable approach, and I'd be curious to see the results of your experiment. There is a lot more to the picture here, including sympathetic nervous drive, adrenergic fluency, etc, but I don't have the capacity to organize these thoughts currently.

The effect of dietary sodium on calcium metabolism in premenopausal and postmenopausal women
View attachment 18770
Wow, thank you very much for this post, you are spot on in pretty much everything! After years of struggling to get a diagnosis or explanation of my symptoms, this feels almost like a miracle.

I'm 29, but I've had low blood pressure since I was born (was often fainting as a child).

Something is definitely wrong with my calcium balance. I have high serum calcium (both ionized and total), but at the same time, I have symptoms of low calcium (osteoporosis, horrible tooth decay, brittle nails with white spots...). I have low blood phosphorus, too.

Also, something is definitely wrong with my histamine, I'm allergic to pretty much everything.

My mother and grandmother have exactly the same issues.

What could be the underlying reason behind all this? Would be eating more calcium helpful? If you could point me in the right direction, it would be awesome!

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I have swelling / edema around my ankles and hands, yet I'm dehydrated all the time, with dry mouth, low blood pressure and lack of sweating. The water in my body goes where it should not, and doesn't go where it should. And salt (and sunlight) makes it worse for some reason.

Last edited:

ursidae

No, I am not sure how you got to increased calorie intake. If you start eating a bunch more you could cause bloating, dysbiosis, increased endotoxin...it would all depend on how your gut handles the increased load. My idea was just to lay off the liver (a metabolic stim) and introduce something that maybe slows or moderates metabolism like sardines (while still being decently healthy for you), and to see what happens. If you handled the sun better you would know you were on the right track.
Why is a faster metabolism undesirable?