SUN-/UVB- Light increases Progesterone receptor expression in mice by 4,5 fold, increases T 1,4 fold

Mauritio

I recenty listened to an Andrew Huberman podcast, where he mentioned sunlight exposure (especially in the morning) as beeing very good for your hormonal state.
I found this study in his podcast notes.

They irradiated mice with UVB light, that was equivalent to about 20-25 minutes of midday sun.
They found that acute exposure wasnt effective at raising hormones, although I doubt that as there's human studies showing the opposite (Light exposure increases androsterone by 200% in males)

But chronic exposure over 8 weeks significantly increases the progesterone receptor expression in the ovaries of female mice by about 4,5 fold.

It also increased estrogen and androgen receptors,although a lot less.

The problem I have is that they didn't mention anywhere in the study how big the PR increase actually was. By reading the study you'd get the impression that the ER increase was bigger.
They always talk about "the Estrus days" beeing increased or the estrogen receptor ,but that increase was a lot less pronounced than the PR increase.
Only by looking at the chart, it becomes clear how big the PR increase actually was.
Screenshot_20220724-105531_Chrome.jpg

They also showed that the Testosterone level of male mice was increased by about 35-40% after chronic UVB-Exposure.
Screenshot_20220724-110141_Chrome.jpg

The authors also have a few more interesting discoveries concerning UVB-Exposure (partially in humans!):

-Increases levels of GnRH, FSH and LH in female mice

- Increases attractiveness in female mice

-Increases feelings of "passionate love" in humans(!) for each other

Last edited:

LadyRae

@Mauritio really fascinating! I'm not at all surprised, as nothing feels as good as the sun ?. And it's definitely useful to have some specific benefits ready to go when I see my dermatologist ?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Mauritio really fascinating! I'm not at all surprised, as nothing feels as good as the sun ?. And it's definitely useful to have some specific benefits ready to go when I see my dermatologist ?
Yeah, and the best thing is that it's totally free and probably replicable in humans.

I think this would be an effective remedy for women who can't get pregnant. Especially if they dont want to take ,or their doctor doesn't want to put them on progesterone. I'm sure they would be less resistant to go into the sun for 20 minutes per day.

LadyRae

I agree! You know it's interesting that you bring that up regarding fertility. Back in the fall of 2004, my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage. I really suspect that it was because of low progesterone, as I had been having pretty short luteal phases... In November of 2004, I went to Hawaii and sat in the sun quite a bit for several weeks. In early December when I got home I got pregnant right away, and everything worked out great! (Gorgeous result is almost 17 and will be hiking a 300 mile backpacking trip with me next month)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jack Kruse right again.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I agree! You know it's interesting that you bring that up regarding fertility. Back in the fall of 2004, my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage. I really suspect that it was because of low progesterone, as I had been having pretty short luteal phases... In November of 2004, I went to Hawaii and sat in the sun quite a bit for several weeks. In early December when I got home I got pregnant right away, and everything worked out great! (Gorgeous result is almost 17 and will be hiking a 300 mile backpacking trip with me next month)
Makes perfect sense with your pregnancy!

Funny, I'll also go on a long distance backpacking trip next month in spain :) where do you go?

LadyRae

Makes perfect sense with your pregnancy!

Funny, I'll also go on a long distance backpacking trip next month in spain :) where do you go?
Pacific Crest Trail. Washington State, North Cascade Mtns. We did 246 miles last summer ...

I made dehydrated beef liver, and will bring dried fruit, taurine, Methylene blue, and gelatin powder.

Have fun!

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Pacific Crest Trail. Washington State, North Cascade Mtns. We did 246 miles last summer ...

I made dehydrated beef liver, and will bring dried fruit, taurine, Methylene blue, and gelatin powder.

Have fun!
Awesome don't forget coconut oil. I also made list of supplements to bring ,already.

Nik665

I recenty listened to an Andrew Huberman podcast, where he mentioned sunlight exposure (especially in the morning) as beeing very good for your hormonal state.
I found this study in his podcast notes.

They irradiated mice with UVB light, that was equivalent to about 20-25 minutes of midday sun.
They found that acute exposure wasnt effective at raising hormones, although I doubt that as there's human studies showing the opposite (Light exposure increases androsterone by 200% in males)

But chronic exposure over 8 weeks significantly increases the progesterone receptor expression in the ovaries of female mice by about 4,5 fold.

It also increased estrogen and androgen receptors,although a lot less.

The problem I have is that they didn't mention anywhere in the study how big the PR increase actually was. By reading the study you'd get the impression that the ER increase was bigger.
They always talk about "the Estrus days" beeing increased or the estrogen receptor ,but that increase was a lot less pronounced than the PR increase.
Only by looking at the chart, it becomes clear how big the PR increase actually was.
View attachment 39430

They also showed that the Testosterone level of male mice was increased by about 35-40% after chronic UVB-Exposure.
View attachment 39432

The authors also have a few more interesting discoveries concerning UVB-Exposure (partially in humans!):

-Increases levels of GnRH, FSH and LH in female mice

- Increases attractiveness in female mice

-Increases feelings of "passionate love" in humans(!) for each other

What’s interesting is that this study equated sunlight of mid day sun for about 20 minutes. Ray peat said avoiding mid day sun is best as it supposedly increases histamine and estrogen due to pufa oxidwtion but the more I look up studies the more I find mid day sun so long as skin is not burning seems to be the best sun to be exposed to

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

What’s interesting is that this study equated sunlight of mid day sun for about 20 minutes. Ray peat said avoiding mid day sun is best as it supposedly increases histamine and estrogen due to pufa oxidwtion but the more I look up studies the more I find mid day sun so long as skin is not burning seems to be the best sun to be exposed to
I think during every part of the day the sun light has its own benefits . If there's one thing that was always present during our evolution it's the sun, we're evolutionary adapted to it.

But I agree that midday sun seems beneficial, if it doesn't spill over into the inflammatory territory .

Last edited: