Sulfur Intollerance

What promotes regular assimilation of sulfur?

I can't tolerate any food and not even B1 ... excess sulfur increases ammonia and lactate.

Molybdenum help ?

Thanks

Zpol

You might want to check out the below thread if you haven't already. There's no clear answer yet but taking Molybdenum might cause other problems. The gut ecosystem may be producing excess sulfur in response to some other process failing . My best (somewhat educated) guess is that it's due to under methylation plus possibly choline deficiency. And usually an imbalance in redox plays into these issues as well.
Problems With Sulphur

OP
Highserotonin90
You might want to check out the below thread if you haven't already. There's no clear answer yet but taking Molybdenum might cause other problems. The gut ecosystem may be producing excess sulfur in response to some other process failing . My best (somewhat educated) guess is that it's due to under methylation plus possibly choline deficiency. And usually an imbalance in redox plays into these issues as well.
Problems With Sulphur

Of course, I imagined there was a problem in the methylation cycle ... I understand that CBS is the offending gene.

Yasko and other doctors suggest Molybdenum, Vitamin E

rob

Problems With Sulphur

Re: Issues with molybdenum supplementation:
Is this regarding how metals could interact with a dysbiotic microbiome prior to absorption? I know about such concerns over iron, zinc and manganese but haven't looked much into Mo on this particular front.

Wouldn't simply a liquid Mo supplement taken sublingually circumvent this?

I know there was also conerns over possible Mo neurotoxicity, but that was from a case study of a person taking very hefty doses if I remember correctly. Haven't seen any such reports in those taking around the RDA .

Personally, if I was really struggling with sulphur, I would be more concerned with sulfite toxicity and ensuring I supported the sulfation pathway with the likes of Mo.

Last edited:

Andman

although its not really peaty ive seen an article a while ago that the problem could be an excess of sulfur reducing bacteria in the gut. the proposed therapy was increasing bifidobacteria by consuming fiber like inulin

rob

although its not really peaty ive seen an article a while ago that the problem could be an excess of sulfur reducing bacteria in the gut. the proposed therapy was increasing bifidobacteria by consuming fiber like inulin

Yes, some studies have implicated sulphate-reducing bacteria and increased hydrogen sulfide (H2S) levels in a number of matters, including colitis. One of the reasons why some researchers have linkd higher intakes of red meat, dairy and eggs to such diseases.

I imagine the bifidobacteria/prebiotic angle is in regards to increasing butyrate as excessive H2S can antagonise its oxidation and, thus, comprise intestinal integrity.

If there isn't significant damage to crypt architecture then the OP could also look at increasing specific fibres alongside reducing sulfur intake.

Andman

Yeah i believe thats what the article came down to, thanks for clarifying. might be worth a shot, 1-2 weeks of low sulfur diet should suffice to see if its helping or not

rob

Btw, if you're interested, remembered reading the following article a while back now: https://www.eonutrition.co.uk/post/...-as-a-protective-adaptation-to-supply-sulfate

...interesting idea that sulfate-reducing bacteria colonisation and increased H2S production could be an adaptive strategy coordinated between host and microbiome to protect against potential toxicity when sulfite oxidation is impaired. Of course, this logic would swing things back around to Mo and the likes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals