Sulfur In Human Nutrition And Applications In Medicine

Giraffe

"Because the role of elemental sulfur in human nutrition has not been studied extensively, it is the purpose of this article to emphasize the importance of this element in humans and discuss the therapeutic applications of sulfur compounds in medicine. Sulfur is the sixth most abundant macromineral in breast milk and the third most abundant mineral based on percentage of total body weight. The sulfur-containing amino acids (SAAs) are methionine, cysteine, cystine, homocysteine, homocystine, and taurine. Dietary SAA analysis and protein supplementation may be indicated for vegan athletes, children, or patients with HIV, because of an increased risk for SAA deficiency in these groups. Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), a volatile component in the sulfur cycle, is another source of sulfur found in the human diet. Increases in serum sulfate may explain some of the therapeutic effects of MSM, DMSO, and glucosamine sulfate. Organic sulfur, as SAAs, can be used to increase synthesis of S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe), glutathione (GSH), taurine, and N-acetylcysteine (NAC). MSM may be effective for the treatment of allergy, pain syndromes, athletic injuries, and bladder disorders. Other sulfur compounds such as SAMe, dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), taurine, glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate, and reduced glutathione may also have clinical applications in the treatment of a number of conditions such as depression, fibromyalgia, arthritis, interstitial cystitis, athletic injuries, congestive heart failure, diabetes, cancer, and AIDS. Dosages, mechanisms of action, and rationales for use are discussed. The low toxicological profiles of these sulfur compounds, combined with promising therapeutic effects, warrant continued human clinical trails."

full text link

burtlancast

Awesome find. :2cents

There seem to be an endless list of diseases where sulfur can ameliorate/prevent things.

Of note:

Subjects who showed hypersensitivity to
aspirin, oral antibiotics, and other NSAIDS were
drug-tolerant when MSM was given with or within
an hour of ingesting the sensitizing drug.

I wonder if that could prevent tinnitus induced by aspirin (my case).

OP
Giraffe

Giraffe

Have you tried glycine with aspirin?

MSM sure is worth a try for tinnitus. Some DMSO and MSM users reported that symptoms increased before they left. I had a similiar experience when I tried taurine the first time.

burtlancast

Giraffe said:
Have you tried glycine with aspirin?

MSM sure is worth a try for tinnitus. Some DMSO and MSM users reported that symptoms increased before they left. I had a similiar experience when I tried taurine the first time.

Glycine is for reducing gastro-intestinal troubles, which i managed just fine anyway by dissolving the aspirin then drinking it with meals.

Then tinnitus got me, but thankfully it went away 10 days after i stopped entirely the aspirin.
I might try lower dosages ( 0.5 g instead of 2 g per day) and , alternatively, willow bark.

Parsifal

Interesting. It seems that Peat doesn't like a lot of these amino acids (he only seems to like Taurine in the list?).

I tried MSM some times ago and felt good and stimulated on it, I wonder how that works in the body.

tara

Parsifal said:
post 99865 I tried MSM some times ago and felt good and stimulated on it, I wonder how that works in the body.
Like the related DMSO, I think it makes it easier for many substances to travel around in the body and get into all the nooks and crannies and cells. My impression is that it is often helpful, but not necessarily great if you are exposed to poisons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheila

The full text link from post #1 no longer works, and the article is harder to find now, so here is the pdf of this article for those Sulphur buffs who are interested. Quite interesting. Sheila

Attachments

• Sulfur in human nutritition - 2002.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 89

Amazoniac

Here's one that's still working:
https://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=2028

"Orally administered cysteine markedly improves growth and reduces liver copper deposition in animals fed high levels of inorganic copper.[54] Excessive copper ingestion impairs SAA utilization and increases the dietary requirement for SAA as well."

"With the exception of cow’s milk, taurine is widely distributed in foods from many animal (but not plant) sources." ?

"Methylsulfonylmethane is one of the least toxic substances in biology, similar in toxicity to water. The lethal dose (LD50) of DMSO for mice is over 20 g/kg body weight.[106] Since MSM is a metabolite of DMSO, this should be a reflection of MSM toxicity. According to research done at the MSM clinic at the Oregon Health Sciences University, long-term use of MSM at a dose greater than 2 g/day is well tolerated, producing no adverse effects.[107]"

"In patients with ulcerative colitis (UC), whey protein or other foods high in SAA should be used with caution. There is evidence linking protein fermentation and subsequent formation of sulfide in the pathogenicity of this disease. Hydrogen sulfide, sulfide, and thioacetic acid are produced and cause irritation to the colonic mucosa, resulting in possible damage to colonic epithelial cells, and leading to inflammation.[202-204] One study found 96 percent of patients with UC carry sulfate-reducing bacteria in the colon compared with only 50 percent of healthy individuals.[205] In another study, a diet low in SAAs produced an improvement in UC patients.[204]"

"Organic sulfur compounds are metabolized by the molybdenum-dependent mitochondrial enzyme sulfite oxidase (sulfoxidation). This is also the process that detoxifies sulfite food additives.[208] Sulfite is toxic to the nervous system and molybdenum is necessary for its metabolism to a nontoxic form, since sulfite oxidase contains molybdenum in its active center. Normally, sulfite oxidase metabolizes sulfites to sulfates, which are excreted in the urine or reused by the body.[208] A deficiency in molybdenum or sulfite oxidase may make an individual more sensitive to sulfur-containing drugs and compounds. Animals can be made deficient in molybdenum by feeding them high amounts of tungsten or copper.[208] Molybdenum deficiency has been described in populations where the soil is low in molybdenum and in patients on long-term total parenteral nutrition.[208] Sulfite oxidase deficiency is also known; it is a rare autosomal recessive disorder, usually presenting at birth. Those with a poorly functioning sulfite oxidase system will demonstrate an increased urinary sulfite:sulfate ratio. Theoretically, molybdenum requirements could increase in patients with increased sulfoxidation or sulfation needs; e.g., sulfur supplementation or drug metabolism."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals