Sulfate And Sulfides In Ulcerative Colitis

peep

I've found an article about sulfate and UC , could it be something?

Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) - The Gas

The H2S gas is made in the colon. It is a nasty customer. It is mostly what gives flatus its foul smell. We avoid the smell when we can and make fun of it. But, there is nothing funny about H2S. Consider these facts about H2S, all medically documented.

* Half the normal population makes H2S gas in their colon. The other half makes methane gas.
* However, 90-100% of ulcerative colitis patients make H2S. That's an interesting fact, isn't it?
* H2S is a toxic gas. In higher doses, it can irritate the eyes. In even higher concentrations, it is as damaging as hydrogen cyanide. In the normal colon, there are cells that contain an enzyme that detoxifies the H2S gas.
* There is some evidence to suggest that this enzyme is deficient in ulcerative colitis patients, so that the H2S may linger and damage the colon wall.
* Most patients have ulcerative colitis in the left side of the colon where the H2S gas is mostly made.
* Certain bacteria in the left side of the colon use sulfur in our foods, water and especially in meats, to make the H2S gas.
* The good bacteria in the colon make certain acid substances, (see SCFA above) thereby acidifying the colon contents.
* Here is a possible key point. These H2S producing bacteria do not grow in an acid environment. Keeping the colon acid may be important.

Sulfate and Sulfides

Sulfate is a necessary element in the diet as our body needs it for many of its functions. However, the H2S gas producing bacteria in the left colon rely on ingested sulfur to make the sulfide gas, H2S. The more sulfate you ingest, the more of it is available for colon bacteria to make sulfide gases. So where is the sulfate we ingest?

* Drinking water - up to 20% or more may come from drinking water, depending on the source. City water is monitored so there won't be too much, but well water can vary significantly. You need to measure sulfate in well water.
* Beverages - beer, red and white wine, cider, apple, grape and tomato juice, and even cow's milk have significant amounts of sulfate.
* Foods - the following have moderate amounts of sulfate:
o eggs
o cheese
o milk
o dates
o dried apples, apricots (dried fruits are very high in sulfate)
o almonds
o wheat pasta
o breads
o peanuts
o cruciferous vegetables (broccoli,cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage
o raisins
o prunes
* Animal Protein - There are only two amino acids, methionine and cystine, that contain sulfate. These are present in all animal products, but especially in red meat. The more meat you eat, the more sulfate enters your colon.
* Supplements - chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine sulfate and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) are used by many people for bone and joint disorders.

These have significant amounts of sulfate. So does carrageenan, used as a thickening agent in many prepared foods. Read the labels.

Summary

Were I still in gastroenterology practice, I would recommend that ulcerative colitis patients follow the guidelines in the first part of this section. Additionally, I would consider:

* Reduce sulfur-containing foods in the diet, especially red meat, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts) and sulfur containing wine and beer. Check well water for sulfur.
* Increase foods that are high in inulin and oligofructose.
* Consider using a dietary supplement to get a significant dose of the beneficial prebiotics, inulin and oligofructose, into the colon every day.

The goal is to make your colon more acidic and inhospitable for the H2S gas producing bacteria. If your flatus no longer has a malodorous smell, then the H2S producing bacteria likely are not growing.

One final point. This information has some research behind it. Some of it is not conclusive, but it is at this time the best we have. Finally, check with your physician. She or he knows your case best. This information is for background use only. Prebiotic supplements are not meant to prevent, treat or mitigate any disease.

Original thread at healingwell.com:
Sulfate and sulfides in relation to UC and your diet. - Ulcerative Colitis - HealingWell.com Forum

Amazoniac

Maybe chronic exposure to an excess of intestinal toxins can sustain this even during avoidance:
Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.
"One of the basic reactions to injury is to shift the cell away from oxidative metabolism to glycolytic metabolism, which is inefficient, but can support cell division. Chemical stains show that during cell division cells are in a reduced state, with abundant sulfhydryl groups including reduced glutathione and protein sulfhydryls. This shift in itself increases the formation of active estradiol from estrone."

I already posted something related when I came across this subject:
Simple Copper Complexes Are A Powerful Alternative To Antibiotics
Am Dead, Starting To Question Peat
"I Have Liver Issues And I Am Not Making Progress"

O

oldfriend

This is interesting. I found an article about the prescribed low-sulfur diet, and it had a citation from the cutler protocol for chelating mercury: "...many mercury-toxic people are intolerant to certain foods, commonly known as ‘sulfur foods’, which have a high free thiol content. Consuming foods high in thiols raises the circulating thiol levels which in turn mobilizes mercury and creates symptoms."

I was diagnosed with mercury toxicity (by a naturopath) and ulcerative proctitis (a milder version of UC) around the same time 8 years ago. I got a lot of mercury fillings at a very early age, and had most of them removed, but still have a few big ones. I've been on a high sulfur diet (apple & grape juice, lotsa red meat, dairy, bone broth, taurine, b-complex) for the past year and admittedly haven't felt that great. So my experience seems to corroborate this information.

But what's interesting to me is that the quote seems to be describing the process of chelation. It seems that would be regarded as a good thing here, but maybe not if I still have mercury fillings. I don't fully understand this theory, but it seems elevated ammonia levels are also at play. I can attest to that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals