Suicides Have Elevated Serotonin, 5-HIAA, And Lower Serotonin Turnover

meatbag

Elevated serotonin and 5-HIAA in the brainstem and lower serotonin turnover in the prefrontal cortex of suicides.
-Elevated Serotonin and 5-HIAA in the Brainstem and Lower Serotonin Turnover in the Prefrontal Cortex of Suicides
-

Bach, Helene; Huang, Yung-Yu; Underwood, Mark D; Dwork, Andrew J; Mann, J John; Arango, Victoria.
Synapse; 68(3): 127-30, 2014 Mar.
-
*5-Hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) is the main metabolite of serotonin. In chemical analysis of urine samples, 5-HIAA is used to determine serotonin levels in the body. (5-Hydroxyindoleacetic acid - Wikipedia)
-
Higher 5-HT in rostral brainstem was consistent with the greater number of 5-HT synthesizing neurons in the midbrain. 5-HT correlated with 5-HIAA along the rostrocaudal axis (r = 0.837, p = 0.001) of the raphe nuclei measured. Compared with nonpsychiatric control cases, suicides had four times as much total 5-HT (nonpsychiatric controls: 271 ± 58 vs. suicides: 1091 ± 280 picomoles/mg protein, t = -2.87, p = 0.017) and 1.5 times more 5-HIAA (nonpsychiatric controls: 4158 ± 534 vs. suicides: 6404 ± 898 picomoles/mg protein t = -2.15, p = 0.05). The difference in 5-HT between controls and suicides was present throughout the rostrocaudal extent of the brainstem samples (Figure 1; F = 95.9, p < 0.0001). The differences in 5-HT and 5-HIAA amounts in suicides and controls were independent of age and postmortem interval (p > 0.05). The sample size was too small to determine a relationship of MDD or other Axis 1 diagnoses to either 5-HT or 5-HIAA. To index 5-HT turnover, we calculated the ratio of 5-HIAA to 5-HT. The 5-HIAA:5-HT ratio in the brainstem was 15.3 in controls and 5.9 in suicides (co-varying for age and sex, t = 2.76, p = 0.02).

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Very interesting. I had a sister with schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder and she was hospitalized in the state psychiatric hospital for 9 months. During that time they were trying to find a medication cocktail that would work for her, but many meds actually made her worse. I did not know about serotonin and especially serotonin syndrome at that time, and I now suspect that was causing her to be completely mad. She would scream, hit her head, do crazy things and sometimes had to be restrained - none of these behaviors were "normal" for her. Outside of a hospital, she could very well have harmed herself and in fact did try to commit suicide once at a younger age.

Looking at relatives and family history, I think there are "familial tendencies" toward excess serotonin, or at least inability to metabolize a normal amount. I know I was analyzed as having excess 5-HIAA but fortunately escaped the major mental illnesses.

Mauritio

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals