Suggestions To Lose Belly Fat?

OP
C

cfhunter

Could be but how would I know? :( For breakfast I had 2 oz milk, 6 oz OJ, two eggs in one tsp CO with .5 oz goat cheese, four pieces of pineapple, two cups of coffee with a total of 4 tbsp of coconut milk and I am already up to 89% of my fat quote according to cronometer if I want to lose .5 lbs of weight per week. How is tis food plan even possible and still lose weight? It's 8:00 am and I have already satisfied most of my protein and fat requirements? I measured everything so this is accurate portions.

wildtruffle14

if you haven't already, you may have to adjust the percentages of protein/fat/carbs on cronometer to fit what you need. As examples, fat would probably be the very lowest percentage. Then protein would be the next most dense. Then carbs would be the highest percentage. Not sure if Cronometer's numbers on how much fat you can lose would be accurate. From everything I've gathered, the only way to truly lose weight is to have a calorie deficit. (in the case of pro-metabolic, very slight deficit). I think the only things that seem intrinsically fattening are whole milk products and starches.....or some other physiological issue.

wildtruffle14

yes, I would say in the context of everything I've read on the necessity for fats in our diet, you could drop the fat percentage to even 10 or 15%, but not sure if this would be your own requirement.

natedawggh

I'm fairly new to the whole peat way of eating, but already from reading your post it sounds like you're not getting enough sugar and saturated fat. In none of the articles I've read does peat say to count calories, which it sounds like you're doing. If you are calorie deficient your body isn't going to let go of the fat. Also, Dr peat says numerous times how coconut oil does not accumulate as fat on the body and that it also helps rid the body of the bad fats, but you're barely getting two teaspoons. Try getting a minimum of one tablespoon of CO a day like Peat does, and increase your fruit consumption significantly, especially since sugar counteracts cortisol. Also, you're unspecific about what veggies you're eating and even if you really are cooking the hell out of them, if they're the kinds that go against mr peats advice, no amount of cooking is going to make them healthy. Non starchy Fruit is a better way of getting nutrition anyway.

Jib

I used to be skinny my whole life. I'm 5'11" and was at 140lbs for a few years. About a year and a half into "Peating" I've jumped up to 193lbs and have quite a pot on me for the first time in my life since I was on Zyprexa when I was around 15 years old.

I put "Peating" in quotation marks because it's taken me a while to understand his ideas. I'd actually say it's only been over the past couple months that I started doing a more Peat-style approach, since it took me about a year to get a general grip on his ideas. For example, I didn't take the lower-fat thing seriously until more recently. I was getting 80-20 beef, now I'm getting 93-7, am eating 2% fat cottage cheese instead of full fat hard cheese, and trying to keep coconut oil as my main fat source while upping my calories from sugar (orange juice, maple syrup, white sugar).

The Minnesota Starvation Experiment showed an accumulation of abdominal fat post-calorie restriction and re-feeding -- aka "skinny fat."

I don't like having a gut, but I see it as a temporary tradeoff. I have more energy, my moods are much more stable, and I'm able to work out again. I've gotten strong enough to do handstand pushups and now knuckle pushups and chin-ups with a weighted vest.

My approach now is to do strength training and build as much muscle as I can while cutting back on fat intake and getting more sugar to replace it.

wildtruffle14

from a random Google search: "Cortisol increases blood sugar levels in response to stress. Magnesium counteracts the hormone by stabilizing blood sugar levels, decreasing the possibility of insulin resistance and consequently preventing the body from weight gain."

i think estrogen is antagonistic towards magnesium, too.

i've noticed excessive thirst lately and perhaps magnesium is to blame.

Jez

@cfhunter Hi, My wife and myself come from a similar background, there are a lot of people here from the same VLC/keto background that have had amazing success in reversing all their health issues. @haidut is a great place to start all his article have been useful to me especially the one on glycine as that was instrumental in blocking cortisol whilst I was healing and now whilst I commence training again.

@tca300, @natedawgg, @tara, @Such_Saturation, @westsidePUFAs, @Blossom, @charlie @Dan Wich. Have all been a tremendous help to me – reading their posts, research and replies on these forums. I initially did Haiduts pufa detox on very low fat and I think this kick started the healing process. I’m not very scientific and I know this gets said a lot on here but I did the following:

Started as an adrenally wrecked high cortisol, insulin resistant, VLC Crossfitter/Olifter Male/34/5’9/171.6# - gained weight as expected on ray peat and when I jacked carbs up to 220# now on the way back down to 200# and in no rush to get to a goal weight of 187-198#

I feel great handle sugar well, sleep amazingly, hardly get sick now and if I do kick it in a few days.

Detox PUFA - 60/30/10 roughly

Improved insulin resistance with high dose B1 which haidut has a post about.

Ate an abundance of calories >3k initially to heal from peat foods (daily carrot, coconut oil as main fats, fruit, sugar, gelatin, some GF muscle meat, no starch, milk, OJ etc) in 50/30/20 and still playing around with this now. I focus on food volume for satiety. I did gain

Took Thyroid and still take NDT but mine was pretty bad compared to your by the sounds of it

Increased salt massively, take aspirin daily.

Tracked calories to ensure I didn’t under eat any macronutrient and always got in high cals.

Walked rode bikes and did relaxed exercise focussing on breathing and enjoying it, until felt ready to train and even now have changed my whole regime for more steady state relaxed exercise, swimming, occasional higher intensity, powerlifting/o-lifting sprints etc which is a total flip of my previous destructive training.

I’m sure there’s more but happy to answer any questions, all the best with it!

Jez

This is not an exhaustive list and everyone is individual with the starch/no starch, high sugar/high fructose, high/low fat so you will have to play around with things based on how you feel. I found blood tests were a good guide but I always went off how I felt. I still do have belly fat and I guess it will be the last to go but am a lot leaner in all other areas. I forgot to mention niacinamide was used everyday and still is to assist with damage as PUFA is liberated from tissue from all the storage in there eating it on paleo for years and years.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals