Sugary Drinks Correlated With Increased Risk Of Cancer

Tenacity

Another correlational study. Correlations are almost meaningless at this point. Mechanistic explanations are more important.

associated with a 3 times greater risk

OP
E

ejalrp

associated with a 3 times greater risk

Yes, the "causes" was click bait, but I have to wonder how if sugar is so protective that it can even be associated with a 3 times greater risk. Correlational studies are a poor substitute for causes, but with human studies it's morally difficult to use anything but correlational studies.

Tarmander

What does it even mean that my risk goes up? Like if I'm walking down the street and cancer sees me its going to be unusually attracted to me?

These models are based on cancer being a random thing that can happen to you, like quantum tunneling or something.

PakPik

Perhaps there's a real correlation there because people usually drink sugary beverages to accompany PUFA+Carragenan (read: carcinogenic) laden pastries, junk food, etc?

Yes, the "causes" was click bait, but I have to wonder how if sugar is so protective that it can even be associated with a 3 times greater risk. Correlational studies are a poor substitute for causes, but with human studies it's morally difficult to use anything but correlational studies.

Yeah but you saw just switching to fruit you actually saw a reduction in risk... and burgers doubled the risk... really how can this be about sugar at all I don't know.

They so readily give you the "it's just association" speech but they don't talk about the fact that there's a million other things than sugar in those foods.

Relative risk is usually meaningless anyway. If 30 out of 1 million die of cancer vs 100 out of one million die of cancer is this significant statistically ? In any way?

supernature

The simplest connection i can think of is that processed sugar could deplete mineral content of the body in order to process it and maybe if that can be used as a cause to initiate, aggravate stuff and cause long term disbalance (cancer etc.), but the end product pretty sure its all quite individual.