Sugars From Fruit And Milk Vs. Starches

That intuitive but incorrect notion speaks to the hidden assumption that most of us come into Peating with: food alone should be able to restore and maintain a great metabolism.

It works both ways; they're intertwined: the state of the body affects what foods one can eat as much as the food affects the state of the body.

Yes the issue is that this invalidates the use of these arguments to prove that one food is better.

tara

Funny how differently our systems work.

and the hunger is gone for hours.
Meat and potatoes digest pretty quick for me. Nothing like a big pile of potatoes to make me hungry again in an hour or so. Haven't been doing such big piles lately though.
I think my stomach's shrunk with all the juice and sugar I've been eating. Can't fit in the volume of solids I used to eat. I noticed at holiday-time feasting.

One problem I have with that study is: there is no way I would get down that amount of fat in one sitting without my gut revolting.
My gut would say thank-you, any more of that? :) Not that I generally have that much cream in one go.

You couldn't get down 3/4 cup cream in one sitting? I was drinking a pint split up twice a day when I was really into my saturated fat thing. Pretty damn tasty.
:)

It works both ways; they're intertwined: the state of the body affects what foods one can eat as much as the food affects the state of the body.
Yeah.

Yes the issue is that this invalidates the use of these arguments to prove that one food is better.
Yeah. It means it depends on context.

sladerunner69

One such study is linked here https://raypeatforum.com/community/...ets-contain-higher-amounts-of-endotoxin.8709/.

They used 300 kcal drinks, 10 minutes to finish the drink. As "saturated fat" served heavy whipping cream (70% saturated).

One problem I have with that study is: there is no way I would get down that amount of fat in one sitting without my gut revolting.

Have you seen better designed studies than that one?

What biological mechanisms serve as the underpinnings o this audacious augmentation of malevolent gut flora? Saturated fat is known to aide digestion, no?

Emstar1892

Haha! I just ate a box of sweet potato on my lunch break and chased it with a box of oatmeal

sladerunner69

Yes, in fact I work at a bakery and eat a 6 pack of the oatmeal date bagels quite often.

good lordy lord!! that's bananas.

And no significant stomach discomfort from all of that heavy, brown, raw starch and gluten???

I'm fairly certain I wouldn't get out of a 6 pack of rasin bran bagels alive, or at least with my colon intact :0 (cereally)

Zachs

Haha, yea I definitely used to be that way with sluggish digestion. But no, starch has only had positive effects on my health. I helps to poop twice a day at least though to keep endotoxin in check. I also eat a good amount of fruit and veg to help add water and fiber. If I ate just grains I would not have good digestion.

sladerunner69

Haha, yea I definitely used to be that way with sluggish digestion. But no, starch has only had positive effects on my health. I helps to poop twice a day at least though to keep endotoxin in check. I also eat a good amount of fruit and veg to help add water and fiber. If I ate just grains I would not have good digestion.

Interesting. I have to say if I ate a 6 pack of raisin bagels I think i would be stuffed... maybe for life.

Could I ask how many carbohydrates you would say you are eating on a daily basis? Is it above 400g? Do you attempt to avoid fatty foods like cheese or cream?

I am trying myself to guuage the effects of starch, especially wheat and gluten, on my overall health and metabolism

Zachs

Interesting. I have to say if I ate a 6 pack of raisin bagels I think i would be stuffed... maybe for life.

Could I ask how many carbohydrates you would say you are eating on a daily basis? Is it above 400g? Do you attempt to avoid fatty foods like cheese or cream?

I am trying myself to guuage the effects of starch, especially wheat and gluten, on my overall health and metabolism

I used to aim for 500g carbs a day. Now I don't count but I'm sure it's close.

Yes I usually avoid fat, I'll eat some cheese or coconut or butter once in awhile.

sladerunner69

I used to aim for 500g carbs a day. Now I don't count but I'm sure it's close.

Yes I usually avoid fat, I'll eat some cheese or coconut or butter once in awhile.

500g of carbs is a bit voer what even Dr Peat does for himself. I assume you are eating not jsut little fat, but almsot no fat during the day? Are you of a very large stature? What is your protein intake like sir?

Zachs

500g of carbs is a bit voer what even Dr Peat does for himself. I assume you are eating not jsut little fat, but almsot no fat during the day? Are you of a very large stature? What is your protein intake like sir?

I did this to lose fat, deplete pufa and raise metabolism so yes I was almost no fat fir 4 months. Now I eat some fat, maybe 30g a day at most, rarely more. Protein is never very high, upper limit of 100g. I don't eat meat or use supps so it's mainly milk. I'm 5,11 165 lbs ond decent muscle. There's some pics of me somewhere on here after the pufa depletion.

Ulla

@Zachs
I remember from reading that thread (clear pufa in 30 days) where you were saying that you replaced starches with saturated fats. It was like best thing to do that time.

How come you lowered your fat intake again? I understand like now you are back to low fat, drinking fat free milk etc... Sorry if I misinterpreted :)

Zachs

Yea I tried something I'd never done which was a predominately saturated fat and sugar diet. It was really interesting but after a while I did not feel great and went back to high carb, low fat.

Ulla

Ok thanks.
I am doing pufa clear these days and feel very good.
Sugars, starches, proteins and fat from coconut oil only.

sladerunner69

I see... that is quite a lot of calories for a guy who's only 165lbs. You must be very lean with a high metabolism. Im standing at jsut over 200lbs but I have done quite a bit of weight training and eating over the years. I want to slim down to where I can see abs, maybe 8%bodyfat, which would be at 185lbs I think. I should give a very low ft diet a shot, although its going to be a trial of patience because so many things I love are high saturated fat like ice cream, pork skins, milk, beef, cheese yada yada

tara

I see... that is quite a lot of calories for a guy who's only 165lbs.
500g carbs
<100g protein
<30 g fat
~<2700 cals - this doesn't look like a particularly high calorie diet to me?

Ulla

Neither to me.
This is my diet for the last two weeks (doing pufa clear) Macros are almost just the same. I eat whatever I feel like and putting it in calorie count and by the end of the day is sth like that. Maybe someday more/less P,F,CH.

Despite Westside PUFAs misinformation here, Ray Peat in the recent years has made an effort to avoid all starches, replacing it with orange juice, fruits, milk and white sugar (coke I guess). He changed idea about starchy foods, and he considers them to be more inflammatory now than then.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals