Sugar Without Adequate Nutrition = ?

Waremu

You CAN use sugar as a food. But supplementing with vitamins becomes mandatory. For example, you can eat eggs + coke for breakfast, with a B-complex.

I am aware that you can use it as food. My point is, however, for those who want to rely on food over supplements, it is good to focus on fruit as a better carb source and treat refined sugar as a supplement to add to your food.

Aymen

White sugar is safe , yet it depletes the B vitamins that metabolise it , i eat liver twice a week so i don't worry much about eating 5 tbsp of sugar everyday with milk or orange juice or coffee , just for taste and for extra calories .

tonto

Roger that Aymen. Just to point out that your typical America super gulp soda drinker with pizza and hot dog often shows signs of low grade Beriberi. The group of the forum not this group. But thiamine is minimally stored so needs constant replenishment compared with other b vitamins with high sugar intake.

Because the body requires many nutrients for the correct oxidation of carbs, using only white sugar and not supplementing with anything can probably increase lactic acid a lot. Also, the lack of NAD+, which is made from niacinamide, will also mean that the electrons from the carbs that you eat won't be able to be directed to the electron transport chain, which is where a lot of ATP is produced. These electrons that weren't captured by the NAD+ will probably do damage to cell structures and also reduce iron, which may contribute to lipofuscin, since it is more reactve than ferric iron( not reduced iron).
Potassium is also very important, but many people don't supplement with it for fear of potassium overdose, but if one is using a lot of white sugar regularly, unless you eat a ton of veggies or drink and cook with mineral water that is high in potassium, supplementation becomes very important. Potassium bicarbonate and potassium citrate are good forms, and I think that the chloride form should be avoided, since salt already provides chloride and it would be excessive. I was looking at the ratio of sugar to potassium in some fruits and I think that ingesting at least 1 gram of potassium for each 100 gram dose of sugar is good. But some fruits have a ratio that is as high as 4,3 grams of potassium per 100 grams of sugar. And b- vitamins are very important too, as is magnesium.

sam7

Roger that Aymen. Just to point out that your typical America super gulp soda drinker with pizza and hot dog often shows signs of low grade Beriberi. The group of the forum not this group. But thiamine is minimally stored so needs constant replenishment compared with other b vitamins with high sugar intake.

What symptoms are you thinking of when you say low grade Beriberi?

tonto

What symptoms are you thinking of when you say low grade Beriberi?

"The symptoms of beriberi in its early stages of development are those of dysautonomia and can be used as a template in describing other forms of dysautonomia [24], particularly postural orthostatic hypotension syndrome [10]. Beriberi is now well recognized as due primarily to TD, though pure TD induced experimentally in human subjects produces typically diagnosed psychosomatic disease [25]. Although it is clear that thiamin is the major deficiency in beriberi, it probably involves deficiency of other members of the B complex [26]. TD in infancy can affect language development in childhood [27]."

- Derrick Lonsdale. The Role of Thiamin in High Calorie Malnutrition. Austin J Nutri Food Sci. 2015;3(2): 1061.

RWilly

However, the bun for one hot dog, and the crust on a serving of pizza, would almost cover the RDA for thiamine.

schultz

Can that happen?

According to Ray at least. I've never actually looked for the studies or books that talk about it, but he mentioned it in his iron article. Maybe I'll try to find papers talking about it, but I have several other things I want to look up first... Only so much time!

Iron's Dangers

"For example, studies of processed animal food had demonstrated that the addition of iron (as the highly reactive form, ferrous sulfate, which happens to be cheap and easy to handle) created disease in animals, by destroying vitamins in the food. You should read the label of ingredients and avoid products that contain added iron, when possible."

(Regarding iron pans)
"Yes, especially if the food is acidic, as many sauces are. The added iron will destroy vitamins in the food, besides being potentially toxic in itself."

RWilly

According to Ray at least. I've never actually looked for the studies or books that talk about it, but he mentioned it in his iron article. Maybe I'll try to find papers talking about it, but I have several other things I want to look up first... Only so much time!

Iron's Dangers

"For example, studies of processed animal food had demonstrated that the addition of iron (as the highly reactive form, ferrous sulfate, which happens to be cheap and easy to handle) created disease in animals, by destroying vitamins in the food. You should read the label of ingredients and avoid products that contain added iron, when possible."

(Regarding iron pans)
"Yes, especially if the food is acidic, as many sauces are. The added iron will destroy vitamins in the food, besides being potentially toxic in itself."

Thanks.

tonto

However, the bun for one hot dog, and the crust on a serving of pizza, would almost cover the RDA for thiamine.

RDA is too low for some people. Try 500 mg and if your deficient you'll experience well being in minutes. One clue is urine smelling of maple syrup - such people are extremely deficient in thiamine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals