Sugar Without Adequate Nutrition = ?

skittles

This might sound like a stupid-basic question, but..

What happens if sugar intake is too high relative to the nutrients needed to support it?

Luckytype

Assuming your nutritive stores are intact, possibly nothing. If you are completely depleted it may cause further metabolic issues(depending on the individual issues from deficit). Basically it would "hurry" the deficiency and the issues it causes

Makrosky

= problems either in the short or long term.

Starting, for example, with b1 deficiency.

OP
skittles

skittles

Thanks folks. That was what I thought, but I just wanted to be certain.
I recently moved to a place where fruit is low-quality and expensive. I've been making up for it with extra sugar, but I just haven't been feeling as good. So I bit the bullet and started paying for overpriced frozen fruit, and I'm starting to feel better again..

Back in the early days of Peat-noobery, I was eating refined sugar with reckless abandon. It did me a lot of good, because I'm sure my body needed it. But nowadays, for a long time now, I just don't seem to do that great with too much refined sugar. Sugar in my coffee, the occasional coke, a candy here and there.

Avoiding the depletion of stored nutrients seems like a bigger deal to me than we make it out to be here on the Ray Peat Forum.
Are there any vitamins/minerals that sugar won't deplete over time? What about nutrients that the body doesn't 'store', like potassium?

Luckytype

With several mineral gradients, the elimination depends on the regularity and amount. So with sodium for example, higher intakes regularly over time can be just as healthy as lower intakes over time provided there is consistency. The body(assuming relative health) adjusts its mechanisms of retention based on intake. Similar happens to calcium etc.. different paths, similar retention mechanisms.

I would still maintain good mineral intakes, or at learn make efforts to. Flux is a big deal and can suffer in a compromised body

Makrosky

Incredible how we have to go over and over again about the same obvious things. Having big ammounts of refined sugar is not and never has been GOOD FOR ANYONE except for temporary therapeutical reasons.

Ray :
"Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic."
Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Cirion

Yeah I no longer use refined sugar for ANYTHING now. If I want to sweeten a drink I'll use maple syrup or something instead, because at least it has nutrients.

OP
skittles

skittles

Makrosky, get over yourself. I've been here for ages. I was just wondering what exactly happens when we don't have enough nutrients to support excess sugar consumption. And the correct answer was the one I suspected. That very quote you posted was what made me consider dialing up the refined sugar in the first place, because I can't get good fruit during the winter months here.

If it bothers you so much 'going over and over about the same obvious things', then maybe you should worry about your own damn life, save your precious brain power for more intellectually complicated things, and let other, more helpful people answer the obvious questions (which, by the way, I noted was an obvious question in the very first line of my post).

Luckytype and Cirion, thank you for your valuable responses. You guys rock.

Makrosky

Makrosky, get over yourself. I've been here for ages. I was just wondering what exactly happens when we don't have enough nutrients to support excess sugar consumption. And the correct answer was the one I suspected. That very quote you posted was what made me consider dialing up the refined sugar in the first place, because I can't get good fruit during the winter months here.

If it bothers you so much 'going over and over about the same obvious things', then maybe you should worry about your own damn life, save your precious brain power for more intellectually complicated things, and let other, more helpful people answer the obvious questions (which, by the way, I noted was an obvious question in the very first line of my post).

Luckytype and Cirion, thank you for your valuable responses. You guys rock.
Wow, that is hurting man, take it easy. Really. I friendly answered you in the first post and never said what I said in the second post with bad intentions or explicitly directed to you. When you write in a public thread you expect more people besides the OP will read it, specially in the future.

Waremu

I think it's good to look at sugar as a supplement, not a food. I think Peat once said that as well. In other words, I do not rely on sugar as my main carb source. Fruit is my main carb source to ensure adequate minerals and vitamins, but I will use sugar to sweeten my carbs at times. For example, I make a protein shake that consists of 2 parts mil and 2 parts OJ, and I add 5 TBS sugar (and some salt) to sweeten it up more. Or I will add some sugar to my stewed apples and pears. This general rule of thumb has worked well for me. If you can't get good fruit, then maybe maple syrup, molasses that has low iron, and cooked fruit is a good way to go. There is a brand of molases I love which is very high in magnesium and low in salt and high in calcium.

Vinero

I think it's good to look at sugar as a supplement, not a food. I think Peat once said that as well. In other words, I do not rely on sugar as my main carb source. Fruit is my main carb source to ensure adequate minerals and vitamins, but I will use sugar to sweeten my carbs at times. For example, I make a protein shake that consists of 2 parts mil and 2 parts OJ, and I add 5 TBS sugar (and some salt) to sweeten it up more. Or I will add some sugar to my stewed apples and pears. This general rule of thumb has worked well for me. If you can't get good fruit, then maybe maple syrup, molasses that has low iron, and cooked fruit is a good way to go. There is a brand of molases I love which is very high in magnesium and low in salt and high in calcium.
You CAN use sugar as a food. But supplementing with vitamins becomes mandatory. For example, you can eat eggs + coke for breakfast, with a B-complex.

Makrosky

You CAN use sugar as a food. But supplementing with vitamins becomes mandatory. For example, you can eat eggs + coke for breakfast, with a B-complex.
I think sugar uses other nutrients like Zinc just to metabolize itself and indirectly it will deplete everything else since you are increasing the metabolism and not providing adequate nutrients.

Vinero

I think sugar uses other nutrients like Zinc just to metabolize itself and indirectly it will deplete everything else since you are increasing the metabolism and not providing adequate nutrients.
Yes. So we can conclude that using Sugar as a food is ok, if you take B-vitamins and minerals like zinc, calcium, magnesium etc.

Makrosky

Yes. So we can conclude that using Sugar as a food is ok, if you take B-vitamins and minerals like zinc, calcium, magnesium etc.
I don't think it is ok but that is just my opinion :): Ray says what he says for a reason. Small ammounts like a coke every other day, using it for sweetening your coffee or desserts it is most probably ok if you also eat micronutrient rich foods. But more than that I don't think it is ok in the long run.

Cirion

Blackstrap molasses?

OP
skittles

skittles

Makrosky, sorry man. I overreacted.

I read your message as though you were being condescending to me. I see people doing that on this forum from time to time when someone asks a basic question, and I guess I registered it as an attack. I apologize for responding so harshly, and thank you for your response.

Makrosky

Makrosky, sorry man. I overreacted.

I read your message as though you were being condescending to me. I see people doing that on this forum from time to time when someone asks a basic question, and I guess I registered it as an attack. I apologize for responding so harshly, and thank you for your response.
No worries man,all Ok.:smokingsombrero

Waremu

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals