Sugar vs fruit

skittles

So, hey. I'm pretty new and I apologize if this has been asked a zillion times already.
After a few days, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a big fan of sugar added to drinks. I dunno why, but sugar in coffee has no appeal to me. Orange juice is cool, but when it comes to coffee and soda especially, it passes the 'too much' threshold for me, and I can never get through it.

So, can I just eat a piece of fruit instead of adding sugar to everything? Instead of beef with coffee with milk and sugar, can I just have coffee with milk and a mango? Or a baked apple? Or like, any other fruit (except for oranges, because of the vitamin C making the iron more readily absorbed or something..? Again, I'm new to all this. And not particularly science-oriented. But I'm trying!)

Thanks!

J

j.

Sugar consumption should be regulated by appetite. If the sugar in the oranges feels like enough for you, it probably is. Regarding coffee and protein, I would try to add a little bit of sugar because coffee stimulates the utilization of glucose in cells, and adrenaline and cortisol might be released if there isn't enough sugar in the body. Same thing with protein. The body uses glucose to digest protein.

jyb

Syrup (sugar dissolved in hot water) added to milk goes down quite well. I wouldn't spoil a nice coffee with sugar, I would have a glass of sugared milk on the side.

The good thing about pure sugar however is that you can get a fair amount in relatively small volume. It's efficient. As a comparison, I'm not sure how much you'd really get with a piece of mango. To get the same of amount in fruit pieces, you would be eating large amount of fiber, whereas ideally you want to minimize that kind of fiber (get more from raw carrot salad).

OP
skittles

skittles

Separating the coffee and sugar-milk into 2 separate glasses works better for me. I dunno, just something magical about black coffee to me. lol

gretchen

I hope someone can clarify that sugar does not damage collagen. This is a common belief on skin care forums. Sugar boosts co2, so it has to be good for skin, right? A low metabolism = bad skin.

For fruit, I personally drink mostly orange juice but have some jello or ice cream pretty much daily also.

chris

Pure sugar is good as it is easy to use and get a lot of it however it has no nutrients so I wouldn't use it if I didn't feel my diet was nutritionally high.

Jenn

yes.

Just keep in mind, to prevent blood sugar spiking, 1 egg equals a full glass of OJ...however that translates into beef and coffee and a mango. (I always drink coffee with gelatin to avoid stressing the liver.)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals