Sugar-Sweetened Beverages and Risk of Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes

BingDing

That study doesn't distinguish between sucrose and high fructose corn syrup. They are very different. I believe some people have been "cured" of type 2 diabetes following RP's ideas.

Staying away from HFCS and not worrying about sucrose is my take on the whole thing.

schultz

I gave a read an will give my opinion (whatever that's worth :shock: )

Actually, a quote from the article sums up (almost) my thoughts on it...

"Higher levels of SSB intake could be a marker of an overall unhealthy diet as they tend to cluster with factors such as higher intakes of saturated and trans fat and lower intake of fiber. Therefore, incomplete adjustment for various diet and lifestyle factors could overestimate the strength of the positive association between SSB intake and risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes."

Just replace the word saturated fat with PUFA and it's exactly what I was thinking. People who drink pop and other drinks like that tend to also eat fast food, chips, etc. These sort of association type studies are very difficult to get right because they cannot control for everything. It becomes very complicated. They need full control over people for it to really mean something.

Animal research very clearly shows that PUFA causes diabetes so it seems reasonable to me to conclude that pop drinking people are typically getting a bunch of PUFA along with their sugar and that it's really the PUFA that's causing the problems. Poor sugar is the one taking all the abuse though :cry:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals