Sugar on its own

Shrimp

Just a quick question re: sugar, soda etc. Is it ok to eat on its own, like say a soda in between meals with nothing else? Or would this effect blood sugar negatively? I know that orange juice is ok alone because the vitamins/minerals help stabilize blood sugar, but I'm wary of eating sugar on its own because I'm not sure what the effect is.

J

j.

Shrimp said:
Just a quick question re: sugar, soda etc. Is it ok to eat on its own, like say a soda in between meals with nothing else? Or would this effect blood sugar negatively? I know that orange juice is ok alone because the vitamins/minerals help stabilize blood sugar, but I'm wary of eating sugar on its own because I'm not sure what the effect is.

if i ate an egg, and have nothing else sweet except pure sugar, then i have some pure sugar.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It needs to be balanced with protein. Sugar drives sugar up, protein down. If sugar goes up too much, some kind of stress response occurs, like it sends adrenaline or something like that to bring you sugar down. Same for protein, sugar goes down, a stress response brings it up. Just gotta find that balance for less stress.

nwo2012

Charlie said:
It needs to be balanced with protein. Sugar drives sugar up, protein down. If sugar goes up too much, some kind of stress response occurs, like it sends adrenaline or something like that to bring you sugar down. Same for protein, sugar goes down, a stress response brings it up. Just gotta find that balance for less stress.

Yes I agree but its very individual and depends how long since the meal, digestion rate etc. So just experiment yourself. Have one in between a meal and see. That said in between the meals you should really be drinking something like milk (sugar and protein) or a piece of cheese with OJ. I find that with this now much faster metabolism, if more than an hour passes and Im not taking in sugar and protein then I start to feel a little hypoglycaemic (and yes it is as proven with a low blood sugar). You can not have a fast metabolism and only ingest protein and sugars every 3 hours and feel ok. Fasting is for hypothyroids! :P

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well the way I understood it from the beginning of learning Ray Peat is that there needs to be a balance of sugar and protein. To minimize stress. But like you said, all in context.

Ray-Z

While we're on the subject of eating sugar by itself...

In another thread, someone (maybe Ann?) said that simple syrup is easier to digest than sugar alone. Does anyone know why? And does eating sugar rather than simple syrup cause any harm to the digestive tract?

Thank you, Peaty peoples.

Birdie

Ray-Z said:
While we're on the subject of eating sugar by itself...

In another thread, someone (maybe Ann?) said that simple syrup is easier to digest than sugar alone. Does anyone know why? And does eating sugar rather than simple syrup cause any harm to the digestive tract?

Thank you, Peaty peoples.
I can't really answer, but I would think that since RP has advised using sucrose in emergency situations, such as when fruit is unavailable, we can infer that sugar does not harm the digestive tract.

kiran

Ray-Z said:

I'm guessing it's because the sugar has to be dissolved before it gets digested, which can take a bit longer, and perhaps allow bacteria to feed on it before you can absorb it.

Ray-Z

kiran said:
I'm guessing it's because the sugar has to be dissolved before it gets digested, which can take a bit longer, and perhaps allow bacteria to feed on it before you can absorb it.

Thanks, Kiran. Assuming you're right, chewing sugar thoroughly and allowing it to mix with saliva might be a little better than just pounding back dry sugar... [Insert drooling smiley.]

nwo2012

Charlie said:
Well the way I understood it from the beginning of learning Ray Peat is that there needs to be a balance of sugar and protein. To minimize stress. But like you said, all in context.

Yes and I do agree. Not sure if my reply suggested this but I do also believe they should be taken together. However if someone were to not have enough sugar with their protein and then go hypo, sugar alone is a good idea. ;)

I believe the syrup is just absorbed more rapidly so easier on the digestion. I dont think that sugar crystals will cause harm though. Sure chewing in the mouth will almost turn it into syrup.

ARK

I have heard that for some people not dissolving the sugar completely can cause some endotoxins. Also, some people find they can only do a certain amount of sugar and then they push it higher and they just don't feel very well.. So for one person a half a cup may be perfect.. go higher and they don't do as well. Other people need a whole cup..everyone is different. However, it does seem that the sugar is most effective if it is made into a simple syrup. Some people do not do well with sugar that is not dissolved.
I guess this comes down to finding the right amount that works best and knowing it is a moving target. I find this to be true of many things..

nwo2012

ARK said:
I have heard that for some people not dissolving the sugar completely can cause some endotoxins. Also, some people find they can only do a certain amount of sugar and then they push it higher and they just don't feel very well.. So for one person a half a cup may be perfect.. go higher and they don't do as well. Other people need a whole cup..everyone is different. However, it does seem that the sugar is most effective if it is made into a simple syrup. Some people do not do well with sugar that is not dissolved.
I guess this comes down to finding the right amount that works best and knowing it is a moving target. I find this to be true of many things..

Yes good points. Very individual thing as with many Peat things and life in general.

Ray-Z

ARK said:

Thanks, Ann.