"Sugar Is Very Much Like Alcohol" Says Dr. Robert Lustig

"sugar is the alcohol of the child". Interesting, I think hes right in the context we live these days where people have been raised on the thought of no limits at seeking non-stop dopaminergic stimulus, and where the food industry have take advantage with one of the most profitable tools to acomplish this, sugar.

My guess has always be like Peat still lives somehow in the 70's, where this was not such an issue, a age in wich sugar was consumed rationally, and people were not the sugar-junkies the food industry has promoted.

PhilParma

I don't think industry has turned people into sugar junkies. I look around (America) and I see fatties eating processed snack pastries as meals. Basically, soybean oil is the cause of what the current trend of Health Nuts are blaming on sugar. Sugar is the same as it ever was; what has changed is mechanically extracting the oil out of vegetables and injecting them into convenience foods. People don't the have the time to make their own foods out of butter and sugar, so they eat fortified flour mixed with soybean oil and HFCS because it's wrapped up in plastic and ready to go and they're too tired to care about where their foods comes from after working 40 hours a week just to pay rent, or after working 60 hours a week to get that promotion which will finally make it so that Daddy really loves them.

Ulysses

I don't think industry has turned people into sugar junkies. I look around (America) and I see fatties eating processed snack pastries as meals. Basically, soybean oil is the cause of what the current trend of Health Nuts are blaming on sugar.
This is the crux of the matter: sugar and PUFA are ingredients in all the same foods as a result of food manufacturers responding to economic incentives: the sugar is there to make the food as tasty as possible; PUFA is there to make it as cheap as possible. Thus, when examining health outcomes of the Standard American Diet, nothing is easier than to conflate the effects of sugar with the effects of PUFA. It's really astounding to me that the ancestral health types aren't savvier about this, considering how much they've written about the "inflammatory" nature of w-6 fatty acids.

Whenever Lustig comes up, I'm always reminded of his online debate with Alan Aragon, in which Aragon contended that there was no real evidentiary basis for Lustig's claim that fructose is an intrinsically and uniquely harmful carbohydrate. It ended with Lustig essentially rage-quitting, right after posting a long cover-your-**** appeal-to-authority diatribe about how Lustig is a doctor and Aragon is not. That was the moment, in fact, when I began to really question the received wisdom about sugar and fructose.

Last edited: