Sugar Intake Reveal All

Herbie

Oi mate, I don't see many people writing about big intakes of cane sugar, are you as liberal as me with cane sugar intake? I eat about a cup per day (250grams), works great for me, who else is doing some of these numbers?

I think Soren Kierkegaard was onto something.

"Delightedly he seized hold of the bag containing the sugar and poured sugar into the coffee cup until it was piled up above the rim. Next came the incredibly strong, black coffee, which slowly dissolved the white pyramid.” Then he gulped the whole thing down in one go."

Granted the rock I live under has some carvings about mineral imbalances.

Ulysses

When I was tracking everything I wasn't really able to eat more than 50-60 grams a day without either going significantly hypercaloric or missing out on essential nutrients.

The dietary habits of Europe's 19th century intelligentsia are always fascinating. Balzac, for example, practiced semen retention, and would drink huge amounts of coffee while edging in order to inspire his writing. He probably died from one of the very few recorded caffeine overdoses. To wit:

This coffee falls into your stomach, a sack whose velvety interior is lined with tapestries of suckers and papillae. The coffee finds nothing else in the sack, and so it attacks these delicate and voluptuous linings; it acts like a food and demands digestive juices; it wrings and twists the stomach for these juices, appealing as a pythoness appeals to her god; it brutalizes these beautiful stomach linings as a wagon master abuses ponies; the plexus becomes inflamed; sparks shoot all the way up to the brain. From that moment on, everything becomes agitated. Ideas quick-march into motion like battalions of a grand army to its legendary fighting ground, and the battle rages. Memories charge in, bright flags on high; the cavalry of metaphor deploys with a magnificent gallop; the artillery of logic rushes up with clattering wagons and cartridges; on imagination's orders, sharpshooters sight and fire; forms and shapes and characters rear up; the paper is spread with ink—for the nightly labor begins and ends with torrents of this black water, as a battle opens and concludes with black powder.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

When I was tracking everything I wasn't really able to eat more than 50-60 grams a day without either going significantly hypercaloric or missing out on essential nutrients.

The dietary habits of Europe's 19th century intelligentsia are always fascinating. Balzac, for example, practiced semen retention, and would drink huge amounts of coffee while edging in order to inspire his writing. He probably died from one of the very few recorded caffeine overdoses. To wit:

" like a wagon master abuses ponies" lol

I just read the pleasure and pains of coffee, its funny.

Last edited:

ilikecats

@paymanz I dissolve it in milk or orange juice. I’ll put 4 tablespoons of sugar in a glass of milk with some salt. I’ll do the same with oj sans salt. I like Mexican coke a lot too so I get A decent amount of white sugar from there too. And total caloric intake is 6,000-7,000 last time I checked

tara

For a while I was probably having 100-200g refined sugars/day. I've backed down to much less. Doesn't feel good to me now.

nwo2012

We make a pot as needed, with 3kg white sugar in 6litres water as a syrup. Then just add as needed to sweeten milk and juices. Thats between 4 of us. Lasts 4 days to a week at most.
I think a kilo per day may be too much, at least for me. But if you are supplying enough nutrients and have a very robust metabolism whilst avoiding other sources and starches, it may be ok for some. Especially if near zero PUFA and low fat with adequate protein and not gaining weight.

Ras

Why would someone consume so much white sugar instead of nutritious foods comprising equivalent sucrose? It's akin to those that consume oil without consuming the thing that produced it, the thing having, besides the oil, nutrition.

ilikecats

@raypeatclips profound insight, I’ll stop right away. Can you explain why it “won’t end well”? Or is this based on your feelings instead of facts? What exactly do you think will happen? I’ve been eating around that much for almost 2 years now with steady improvements in my health (minus a recent minor bacterial infection ) and well being. When will things start to go down hill raypeatclips? I don’t need anyone to recommend it because I understand what white sugar is- a nearly perfect fuel source (no allergens, no starch, no contaminants, no PUFA, nice glucose:fructose ratio, no water to lower sodium levels) that’s only problem is that it lacks minerals and vitamins (which I get more than enough of from other parts of my diet and occasional supplementation. Any time I eat sugar I’m consuming potassium with it (even though that’s not completely necessary)). And what about all the people around the world getting a majority of their sustenance from rice? That’s basically the starch version of white sugar... oh wait hold the phone you get a whopping 26 mg of potassium per cup of rice... although I recall you referring to starch as “real food” so I guess your own personal biases come into play here.

I’ve never seen ray recommend that much sugar but I’ve seen quotes of him talking about eating half a kilo of sugar a day from 16 Mexican Cokes in one day when good oranges aren’t available. This statement might of been from when he was a little younger and he was running his metabolism higher though, I’m not sure. He’s also mentioned in the past drinking up to 1.5 gallons of oj which would be around 600grams of carbs and with the galactose from 1 gallon of milk that would put his carb intake at at least 800 grams not including the white sugar he eats. He speaks very favorably of the work of dr William Budd who used a quarter of kilo of white sugar a day to successfully help diabetic patients. I’ve also seen quotes of ray mentioning making a gelatin based snack with 1 cup of white sugar (225 grams) and lime juice.

Last edited:
We make a pot as needed, with 3kg white sugar in 6litres water as a syrup. Then just add as needed to sweeten milk and juices.

I don’t get the water part. Why not add the sugar to milk directly instead of diluting it with sugar water. The more water the less milk. Why?

Momado965

@raypeatclips profound insight, I’ll stop right away. Can you explain why it “won’t end well”? Or is this based on your feelings instead of facts? I’ve been eating around that much for almost 2 years now with steady improvements in my health (minus a recent minor bacterial infection ) and well being. When will things start to go down hill raypeatclips? I don’t need anyone to recommend it because I understand what white sugar is- a nearly perfect fuel source (no allergens, no starch, no contaminants, no PUFA, nice glucose:fructose ratio, no water to lower sodium levels) that’s only problem is that it lacks minerals and vitamins (which I get more than enough of from other parts of my diet and occasional supplementation. Any time I eat sugar I’m consuming potassium with it (even though that’s not completely necessary)). And what about all the people around the world getting a majority of their sustenance from rice? That’s basically the starch version of white sugar... oh wait hold the phone you get a whopping 26 mg of potassium per cup of rice... although I recall you referring to starch as “real food” so I guess your own personal biases come into play here.

I’ve never seen ray recommend that much sugar but I’ve seen quotes of him talking about eating half a kilo of sugar a day from 16 Mexican Coke’s in one day when good oranges aren’t available. This statement might of been from when he was a little younger and he was running his metabolism higher though, I’m not sure. He’s also mentioned in the past drinking up to 1.5 gallons of oj which would be around 600grams of carbs and with the galactose from 1 gallon of milk that would put his carb intake at at least 800 grams not including the white sugar he eats. He speaks very favorably of the work of dr William Budd who used a quarter of kilo of white sugar a day to successfully help diabetic patients. I’ve also seen quotes of ray mentioning making a gelatin based snack with 1 cup of white sugar (225 grams) and lime juice.

Haha that's cool I too eat "too much" sugar i te form of white sugar or coke when fruit is not available. Waht is your fat intake like?

raypeatclips

@raypeatclips profound insight, I’ll stop right away. Can you explain why it “won’t end well”? Or is this based on your feelings instead of facts? What exactly do you think will happen? I’ve been eating around that much for almost 2 years now with steady improvements in my health (minus a recent minor bacterial infection ) and well being. When will things start to go down hill raypeatclips? I don’t need anyone to recommend it because I understand what white sugar is- a nearly perfect fuel source (no allergens, no starch, no contaminants, no PUFA, nice glucose:fructose ratio, no water to lower sodium levels) that’s only problem is that it lacks minerals and vitamins (which I get more than enough of from other parts of my diet and occasional supplementation. Any time I eat sugar I’m consuming potassium with it (even though that’s not completely necessary)). And what about all the people around the world getting a majority of their sustenance from rice? That’s basically the starch version of white sugar... oh wait hold the phone you get a whopping 26 mg of potassium per cup of rice... although I recall you referring to starch as “real food” so I guess your own personal biases come into play here.

I’ve never seen ray recommend that much sugar but I’ve seen quotes of him talking about eating half a kilo of sugar a day from 16 Mexican Coke’s in one day when good oranges aren’t available. This statement might of been from when he was a little younger and he was running his metabolism higher though, I’m not sure. He’s also mentioned in the past drinking up to 1.5 gallons of oj which would be around 600grams of carbs and with the galactose from 1 gallon of milk that would put his carb intake at at least 800 grams not including the white sugar he eats. He speaks very favorably of the work of dr William Budd who used a quarter of kilo of white sugar a day to successfully help diabetic patients. I’ve also seen quotes of ray mentioning making a gelatin based snack with 1 cup of white sugar (225 grams) and lime juice.

Peat only ever talks about that amount of white sugar in short term doses, for example when he couldn't get oranges like you mentioned.

Of course my personal biases come into play, although I would call it personal experiences. I used to eat tons of sugar like that, and then ran into worse health problems than I had before starting eating sugar. Am I not allowed to dissuade people from literally eating 1kg of white sugar? One of the most basic mistakes people make is seeing Peat speak positively about white sugar then start pounding it and make their health worse.

Of course I can't tell you when your health with suddenly deteriorate, I cant see into the future with a crystal ball . People go to extremes on this forum and then wonder why their health isn't improving.

So you have eaten a kilogram of refined white sugar a day for 2 years?

Last edited:

nwo2012

I don’t get the water part. Why not add the sugar to milk directly instead of diluting it with sugar water. The more water the less milk. Why?

It was a typo. its 3kg in 3 litres.
Reason is it is has a poor solubility in milk at least in the amounts I would like to add. Stirring 4 glasses over over and still having some residual sugar at bottom of the glass is annoying at best. Making the syrup in advance then keeping in glass bottles is convenient. Do you have children?

raypeatclips

Why would someone consume so much white sugar instead of nutritious foods comprising equivalent sucrose? It's akin to those that consume oil without consuming the thing that produced it, the thing having, besides the oil, nutrition.

Because people misinterpret Peat saying when he can't find good fruit he drinks coke and think he has said "eat as much white sugar as you possibly can as fast as you can"

nwo2012

For ease of digestion would be one thing. Low allergenicity would be a second.
Lack of good foods such as ripe fruit at certain times of year would be a third.
Define nutritious, perhaps full of glyphosate, or other chemicals, or fungi etc would be a fourth.
Cost would be a fifth, white sugar is still very cheap.
Convenience would be a sixth reason.
Enough reasons for you? Why would anyone waste time typing a reply to someone about why they waste their time when you could be spending the time doing something more useful?

"Why why why, Delilah!" :p:

Waremu

Peats main argument for not relying heavily on sugar over the long term is because it displaces minerals which would otherwise come from fruit, etc. There is definitely truth to this, and my experience matches that. However, I do believe there is a way one can play this right. If one wants to still rely on a large portion of their carbs coming from pure sugar, if one is getting enough minerals from organ meats, coffee, and at least some fruit, then they may be able to swing it. I make about a cup of coffee, made from half a cup of ground organic French roast coffee mixed with organic ground light roast coffee. The minerals and vitamins in it will help cover some of the minerals and vitamins in fruit being displaced. Some have argued that the minerals in coffee deplete the body of minerals, but upon further investigation I arrived at the conclusion that this is incorrect and that it's actually the increase metabolism from coffee that increases the need for and use of said minerals and vitamins. I did a year long experiment with this in 2013 to prove to myself the opposite as well. Well, after doing large intakes of sugar and coffee and some fruit for my carbs, I did almost a year of most fruit and caffeine pills or little coffee for caffeine and noticed my hair shedding increased much more drastically. More coffee and sugar with a healthy amount of fruit rather than all fruit actually worked better for me, keeping my hair, etc. It seems that if I go too high with fat, eat more than 3-4g of sulfur amino acids per day, and be far more conservative or strict with my pure sugar and coffee intake, my hair suffers, and so does mental clarity/energy. I eat liver, kidney, and even heart organs, and make some cucumber and sprouted lentil and lettuce juice for some minerals, etc. The organ meats are high in b vitamins and folate. Quality liver should be enough for most people as far as organ go though. Lentil sprouts are high in folate, magnesium, molybdenum. If you get plenty of organs and maybe some fruits and Peaty greens, then mineral/vitamin displacement isn't an issue, really. The only fruits I really eat are oranges, pineapple, and ripe bananas. Oranges and pineapple are not always in season so using sugar and getting minerals elsewhere can work just fine from a Peat perspective --- at least for me. But just liver, coffee, and lentil sprout juice will likely make up for everything nutrition-wise if one decides to eat little fruit and more pure sugar. Maybe just keep some tropical fruit for potassium, like some fresh orange juice or bananas (if you handle them well).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom