Sugar In Morning Coffee Difficulty Breathing?

domox

Ive noticed for years now that if i put sugar in my morning coffee (and this is only in the morning) i have to take deep breaths to feel like im getting enough air into my lungs to feel like im breathing normally. If i take out the sugar, i can drink as much coffee as i want in the morning without suffering this effect. Otherwise my lungs feel constricted.

Does anyone know what this is? Why does this happen?
Thanks

gaze

Ive noticed for years now that if i put sugar in my morning coffee (and this is only in the morning) i have to take deep breaths to feel like im getting enough air into my lungs to feel like im breathing normally. If i take out the sugar, i can drink as much coffee as i want in the morning without suffering this effect. Otherwise my lungs feel constricted.

Does anyone know what this is? Why does this happen?
Thanks

Is it pure white granulated sugar? If it has any brown color to it, it could be allergenic and a bit toxic. If it is indeed white, then my best guess is your slightly low in vitamin b1 or protein, and a little bit of the sugar is being turned into lactic acid instead of carbon dioxide. That’s just my guess though

yerrag

Can you try just taking the white sugar by itself and see what happens?

OP
D

domox

Is it pure white granulated sugar? If it has any brown color to it, it could be allergenic and a bit toxic. If it is indeed white, then my best guess is your slightly low in vitamin b1 or protein, and a little bit of the sugar is being turned into lactic acid instead of carbon dioxide. That’s just my guess though
Pure white sugar. Yes. Could mean im low in something. But what is the difficulty breathing about?

gaze

Pure white sugar. Yes. Could mean im low in something. But what is the difficulty breathing about?

I think it’s when your body can’t produce enough co2 causing slight hyperventilation. White sugar in small amounts shouldn’t do it, but coffee and white sugar might push your metabolism enough to where you respiratory system can’t keep up at your current metabolic rate. Are you hypothyroid? Also when it happens, bag breathing is probably your best bet to catch a breath from retaining co2

yerrag

Same thing but only in the mornings
Try taping your mouth before you turn in and see if that makes a difference.

OP
D

domox

Try taping your mouth before you turn in and see if that makes a difference.
Are you thinking that i may be a mouth breather? Waking up with lower levels of oxygen blood levels?

You would be right. I do and always have mouth breathed allot.

I feel sickly when i wake up. As soon as the light hits my eyelids. A reslly pronounced dawn phenomenan. Possibly linked?

OP
D

domox

I think it’s when your body can’t produce enough co2 causing slight hyperventilation. White sugar in small amounts shouldn’t do it, but coffee and white sugar might push your metabolism enough to where you respiratory system can’t keep up at your current metabolic rate. Are you hypothyroid? Also when it happens, bag breathing is probably your best bet to catch a breath from retaining co2
Thanks. Thats really interesting. I'm definitely not hypothyroid, but as mentioned in my comment about mouth breathing, higher morning cortisol could be a trigger. High levels of cortisol reverses T3 hormone i believe. That in turn impacts the metabolism at a celular level.

I had suggested that higher morning cortisol could be a product of lower levels of oxygen in the blood, possibly from mouth breathing. I'm assuming thats why taping my mouth was suggested. Nose breathing corrects this from what i understand. Possibly all linked?

R J

Are you thinking that i may be a mouth breather? Waking up with lower levels of oxygen blood levels?

You would be right. I do and always have mouth breathed allot.

I feel sickly when i wake up. As soon as the light hits my eyelids. A reslly pronounced dawn phenomenan. Possibly linked?

For sure mouth tape. The cloth or nylon type sticky bandage rolls from drug store first aid section are comfortable compared to using masking tape.

Jessie

Caffeine powerfully stimulates the glucose metabolism, thus it will naturally burn through the liver's glycogen much faster. By difficulty breathing, I'm assuming you mean hyperventalation? Playing on the assumption that you don't have asthma or some other breathing condition, it's likely that coffee has tapped your glycogen stores empty, and induced a switch to increased FAO.
Increasing fat oxidation will certainly make breathing worse, particularly in hypothyroid, diabetic, or cancer patients. The elevation of epinephrine causes a increased "need" to breathe.