Sugar Feeds Viruses & Triggers Insulin Resistance?

I'm not necessarily "anti" or "pro" Peat. I have no dogma.

But I would love to see a hardcore Peatarian address the claims made here (at the time stamp I linked).

(It won't let me link the time stamp here. He talks about sugar at minute 36:52)

I find Dr. Sten to be very non-controversial, mostly non-dogmatic, and science based, and he brings up some points about sugar here (which many health "gurus" also have), that I would love to see addressed:

- Viruses feed on sugar
- Sugar triggers insulin resistance
- Ergo sugar is bad?

Vinny

But I would love to see a hardcore Peatarian address the claims made here (at the time stamp I linked).

(It won't let me link the time stamp here. He talks about sugar at minute 36:52)

I find Dr. Sten to be very non-controversial, mostly non-dogmatic, and science based, and he brings up some points about sugar here (which many health "gurus" also have), that I would love to see addressed:

- Viruses feed on sugar
- Ergo sugar is bad?

Does he have some scientific data, backing up the claim that viruses need sugar?
(btw, he didn`t say that viruses FEED on sugar, as in your post)

Tarmander

He is connecting the sugar you eat with your blood sugar level. Those are not necessarily connected in a linear way.

If you body is losing control of your blood sugar level, you are on your way to type 2 diabetes and are more susceptible to viruses and all kinds of bad things, so he is correct in that sense.

J

jb116

That was one of the funniest reductionist videos I've seen in a while. Thanks for the laugh :D

lvysaur

- Viruses feed on sugar
- Ergo sugar is bad?

Honestly his claim is not debunkable because he provides no evidence, or even reasoning.

"the virus is clever enough to manipulate your intracellular messengers, so those messengers bring in more glucose to turn into energy that the virus then uses for replication. so the virus tricks you into bringing in more glucose."

Is there any evidence anywhere, that viruses do this specifically with glucose, and not fat? Fat is energy, it's not some magical viricidal elixir. If the virus is doing this with sugar (and even that remains to be proven), then it would be intuitive to assume it does the same with fat.

Minimal

Well since glucose will always be available in the body, whether you consume it or not, it’s only logical that evolutionarily the virus has adapted to live off something that’s always at hand.

I suppose if it lived off of oxygen, then breathing restriction would be pondered as a treatment?

Vinny

the virus has adapted to live off something
Viruses don't LIVE OFF something. They neither release or consume energy, in contrast with all the other living things.

Whichway?

Viruses don't LIVE OFF something. They neither release or consume energy, in contrast with all the other living things.

Spot on. As far as I understand it viruses don’t have any of the enzymes or machinery required to utilize or generate energy from any food source. They are only able to survive by hijacking the cell replication machinery.

Peatful

opson123

I wonder why he provided no evidence. A certain member here is probably his friend.

OP
wealthofwisdom
I make no claims if this youtuber is correct or not. I don't actually know. But he is stating things that I've heard from other health "experts" so I just wanted to hear the counter-argument(s).

As for being his friend, no, but I do quite like his style, which to me seems non-controversial, level-headed, and science based. He at least appears to address both sides in many debates, which I do appreciate. Now his science may or may not be correct (I don't personally know yet), but he at least seems to attempt to back up what he says with what he believes is the correct science, which is more than a lot of people expounding their ideas on health.

I'm the type of person who likes to hear counter points to each claim I hear. So he made some claims that I know are anti-peat, and so I wanted to hear what the counter claims are. I don't know enough about either side to be pro or against anything yet.

OP
wealthofwisdom
Does he have some scientific data, backing up the claim that viruses need sugar?
(btw, he didn`t say that viruses FEED on sugar, as in your post)

I have no idea if these claims are correct or not (nor have I formed my own personal opinions yet) but I have read it in other more typical health articles. So I just wanted to hear what the Peat perspective is on it.

https://www.lundbeckfonden.com/en/sugar-detectives-get-their-hooks-into-viruses-and-bacteria/

Is Sugar Ever Healthy? How it Impacts Your Immunity | MaxLiving

Barry

I have been eating around 250 grams of table sugar everyday for months now. Generally my health has been very good. I am 52. I don't feel like superman, but I really don't have any health complaints. I can say that mentally I have been very sharp. A noticeable improvement. In cronometer, my diet is 90% carbs, 9% protein and 1% fat. My staples are skim milk, sugar, white rice, potatoes and OJ.

teds

Forum Supporter
@wealthofwisdom :doh
As you are new to the forum, I know a lot of the information here can be overwhelming. It can feel hard to counteract the learned helplessness. Part of your journey in Ray’s work, if you actually read it, is learning to think for yourself based on awareness of not only your body but the systems that you are living in- of which there are many facets.

it’s tempting to ask people to bundle up some “hard-core” arguments against a youtuber who’s style that you like. My feeling is, if you feel like sugar is helpful or unhelpful- do that. No one else can convince you if you don’t know your own feelings. What’s the point of everyone summarizing the deep and varied work of Ray Peat so you can turn around and get hooked on another YouTube catch diet ?

I always wonder how people arrive here if what they have been doing works so well? Low carb, high PUFA work for you then have at it. We’re all fine here and don’t actually need to argue with some random YouTuber..

wavelength123

Dietary sugar and blood sugar are 2 different things.

it always baffles me when guys like him (I’m assuming) will say dietary cholesterol isn’t like blood cholesterol, or dietary fat isn’t body fat or whatever.

Then they go on and recommend WhOlE GrAiNs with FibEr even tho it’s pure glucose and the evil SuGaR is their arch nemesis.

no wonder they’re all bald

OP
wealthofwisdom
@wealthofwisdom :doh
As you are new to the forum, I know a lot of the information here can be overwhelming. It can feel hard to counteract the learned helplessness. Part of your journey in Ray’s work, if you actually read it, is learning to think for yourself based on awareness of not only your body but the systems that you are living in- of which there are many facets.

it’s tempting to ask people to bundle up some “hard-core” arguments against a youtuber who’s style that you like. My feeling is, if you feel like sugar is helpful or unhelpful- do that. No one else can convince you if you don’t know your own feelings. What’s the point of everyone summarizing the deep and varied work of Ray Peat so you can turn around and get hooked on another YouTube catch diet ?

I always wonder how people arrive here if what they have been doing works so well? Low carb, high PUFA work for you then have at it. We’re all fine here and don’t actually need to argue with some random YouTuber..

Well I would counter that already I've gotten quite a few replies that have opened my eyes to a few things (or at least made me consider new things I hadn't considered before). So while it might not be the strategy that you yourself approve of, it has in fact served a useful purpose for me. Hopefully for others who find it in the future as well.

OP
wealthofwisdom
Dietary sugar and blood sugar are 2 different things.

it always baffles me when guys like him (I’m assuming) will say dietary cholesterol isn’t like blood cholesterol, or dietary fat isn’t body fat or whatever.

Then they go on and recommend WhOlE GrAiNs with FibEr even tho it’s pure glucose and the evil SuGaR is their arch nemesis.

interesting.

no wonder they’re all bald

lol :hilarious: