Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Sugar Consumption Down 34% Since 1970

Discussion in 'Macros & Micros' started by Such_Saturation, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

2. YuraCZ

YuraCZ Member

Well it's clear enough that saturated fats and sugar isn't really problem. ******* PUFAs...

3. jyb

jyb Member

Explosion of pufa oils since 2000? Seems like the party is just getting started then ;)

That said, the study about sugar is dishonest. To get an idea of "pure carb" intake (as opposed to nutritious carbs), they should have looked at various syrups rather than just sucrose, as we could expect pure corn syrup or other refined products to have similar problems (or benefits) to sucrose.

4. Tom

Tom Member

Interesting rise in canola oil. Do you have the figures for soybean oil? I think this accounts still for 2/3 of the vegetable oil intake in the US. But overall it should give a very good omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, if this is beneficial.

5. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Uh yeah, we are talking about the supermarket definition of sugar here :mrgreen:

This is for almost every sweetener that has real calories in it:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the witch hunt is pretty dumb even for nasty syrups. The same website wrote about it here http://www.sugar.org/americans-are-cons ... weeteners/ . They only show from the peak onwards, so clearly they are a lobby :cool: but some poor intern probably had to make these and they have no hope of salvaging the industry anyway...

6. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

No there aren't, I agree it should still be a big player in food manufacturing but there seems to be a price increase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They reflect the price increase but maybe it's simply more companies reporting to the Bureau.

7. tara

tara Member

Am I reading this right? 60 lbs soybean oil per capita per year? Ie ~70g per person per day?
    Wow. And for all the people who eat much less than this, there must be many who eat more. And that's just the soybean oil, not counting the canola, corn oil, etc.

8. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

I think that indicates the amount that "disappears" at the end of the year after you subtract exports, etc.

9. tara

tara Member

Ok, that makes sense. So maybe more than half of it gets discarded as waste etc, and not so much gets eaten.

10. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

I'm pretty sure they invented that term, all the tables are pretty odd anyway... some data is "withheld to prevent disclosure" :confused

11. schultz

schultz Member

I love graphs!!! :shock:

Attached Files:

12. XPlus

XPlus Member

Very interesting.
    Was looking at of photos of my family, including extended family and friends, from 60s, 70s and 80s. Wedding photos, town crowds.
    Comparing these photos to how most people of similar age look now, those trends say a lot.

You bet it's not just correlation.

13. Tom

Tom Member

Very interesting charts. But also confusing.

There is some good information on statista.com suggesting that soybean oil is still the most widely used edible oil in the US, accounting for over 60% (4 x higher than canola oil).
    http://www.statista.com/statistics/3010 ... s-by-type/

On a side note, observe the much higher life expectancy in Israel than in US despite a higher linolic acid intake and poorer n6 to n3 ratio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_paradox

14. jyb

jyb Member

You only need to watch an old movie. Preferably a documentary, so the movie doesn't introduce a bias into who is in society is filmed. Then you can only be astonished by how good an average Joe looked back in the days compared to now.

15. jyb

jyb Member

So much paradox. Isaerli paradox, French paradox... If the whole world is a paradox, then its not a paradox anymore :lol:

16. XPlus

XPlus Member

Now we know what the decline of modern civilization looks like.

17. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Sorry, I don't have the premium account, what is the source? Is there conflict with the posted information?

Check out:

18. Tom

Tom Member

You might be able to see the charts in full if you get to the website via a google search

Attached Files:

19. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Yes that is quite in line with the first charts, but no files on the USDA website seem to list soybean oil when it comes to oil comparisons.

20. jyb

jyb Member

I am very surprised to see coconut oil as high as this. And also higher than sunflower and olive. I had really never heard of it before caring about diet nor saw anyone using it.