Sugar Causing MAJOR Problems For Me

crusader

been battling with pretty intense dry eyes for over 5 years now (confirmed via testing, think it was called a "Schrimers test")

my dry eyes subsequently causes vertical ghosting vision, for example, say im watching a movie at night and there is white text on a black background, ill actually see a faint double image of the text directly above the original line of text; I see this everywhere at night, whether im reading a book, watching a movie, car lights and stop lights while driving, etc..

through significant and arduous trial and error and self-experimentation, I unfortunately came to the realization that sugar was the cause of my dry eyes I've t
ested and retested this maybe 3-4 times; if I cut out all sugars, my dry eyes/vision problems improves by 90-95%, though I still eat copious amounts of carbs via starch (white potatoes, oats, white rice, sourdough bread). I notice I get 100% symptomatic relief if I eat a low-carb diet, but that is unacceptable for me and causes other issues like fatigue and being cold, etc.. the sugar intolerance is so severe that I had a couple sweet potatoes the other day and noticed I started having ghosting vision, its just outrageous and literally unbelievable..

I've been reading forums and what not and things like "diabetes" and "pre-diabetes" keeps coming up, yet ive been gotten general bloodwork from my naturopath and evertyhign came back fine, except for mildly low-blood sugar a couple times ?

any other reason why I would be so intolerant to sugars?

CoolTweetPete

Not sure but low carbing caused me to have dry eyes and sinuses. If I'm not mistaken saccharides are required to make mucus / tears.

honeybee

Did you ever have Lasik or eye surgery-you didn't mention a cause- or did it just start happening randomly?
Do you have any other eye health issues such as eczema or blepharitis!
Any eye discharge?
Take any meds or vit bs in excess?

I'm asking because I was having severe dry eye issues late in the day and I have managed to mostly cure the problem. About 95 % better.

OP
C

crusader

honeybee said:
post 118332 Did you ever have Lasik or eye surgery-you didn't mention a cause- or did it just start happening randomly?
Any eye discharge?

I'm asking because I was having severe dry eye issues late in the day and I have managed to mostly cure the problem. About 95 % better.

I have mild/moderate case of blepharitis (Which I believe is caused by my pretty bad case of seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp/face)

I did/sometimes do have eye discharge and watery eyes upon wakening

what did you do to ameliorate your severe dry eye?

Last edited by a moderator:

honeybee

crusader said:
post 118512
honeybee said:
post 118332 Did you ever have Lasik or eye surgery-you didn't mention a cause- or did it just start happening randomly?
Any eye discharge?

I have mild/moderate case of blepharitis (Which I believe is caused by my pretty bad case of seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp/face)

I did/sometimes do have eye discharge and watery eyes upon wakening

Also I eat sugar both refined and fruit based. And avoid pufas. My health is fine otherwise.

what did you do to ameliorate your severe dry eye?

Over the past 2 years or so I had been having more and more dry eye issues in the evening. I've had blepharitis and eczema on both eyelids which makes the whole area - bit raw with lots of eye discharge. I tried a lot of things to help but nothing seemed to work except b vitamins helped a bit. Til I read a post here about demodex mites and acne, blepharitis and eczema. Gross right? I had nothing to lose So I tried the tea tree oil remedy of scrubbing the lids and then a lotion. After about 2 weeks of this my eyes were about 80% better. If I forget to use the tto cleanser and lotion the problems start again.
Also balanced biotin and b5 seem to help as well as the other bs to a lesser extent.
Mouth taping at night helped some too.

Now I no longer have to use a lot of eye drops in the morning to get my lids to open. And I can see much better at night And I no longer fear losing my vision or at least continual deterioration.

crusader said:
post 118282 been battling with pretty intense dry eyes for over 5 years now (confirmed via testing, think it was called a "Schrimers test")

my dry eyes subsequently causes vertical ghosting vision, for example, say im watching a movie at night and there is white text on a black background, ill actually see a faint double image of the text directly above the original line of text; I see this everywhere at night, whether im reading a book, watching a movie, car lights and stop lights while driving, etc..

through significant and arduous trial and error and self-experimentation, I unfortunately came to the realization that sugar was the cause of my dry eyes I've t
ested and retested this maybe 3-4 times; if I cut out all sugars, my dry eyes/vision problems improves by 90-95%, though I still eat copious amounts of carbs via starch (white potatoes, oats, white rice, sourdough bread). I notice I get 100% symptomatic relief if I eat a low-carb diet, but that is unacceptable for me and causes other issues like fatigue and being cold, etc.. the sugar intolerance is so severe that I had a couple sweet potatoes the other day and noticed I started having ghosting vision, its just outrageous and literally unbelievable..

I've been reading forums and what not and things like "diabetes" and "pre-diabetes" keeps coming up, yet ive been gotten general bloodwork from my naturopath and evertyhign came back fine, except for mildly low-blood sugar a couple times ?

any other reason why I would be so intolerant to sugars?

what was your blood work? look at prolactin, pth, vitamin D, serum calcium, maybe some other things. tsh too.

I guess I'm becoming a broken record on this, but after reading so much about thyroid I have to ask if you've checked your temperatures and heart rate after waking up and after breakfast? You may need thyroid supplementation. I have seen a lot of reports of all sorts of things going away and resolving when that is done.

M

marikay

I guess I'm becoming a broken record on this, but after reading so much about thyroid I have to ask if you've checked your temperatures and heart rate after waking up and after breakfast? You may need thyroid supplementation. I have seen a lot of reports of all sorts of things going away and resolving when that is done.

I second this. Ray mentioned in an email that dry eyes are caused by low T3. Thyroid should clear it up. And no, estatichamster, you are not becoming a broken record (more like a reliable mp3) :)

Koveras

]if I cut out all sugars, my dry eyes/vision problems improves by 90-95%, though I still eat copious amounts of carbs via starch (white potatoes, oats, white rice, sourdough bread). I notice I get 100% symptomatic relief if I eat a low-carb diet

Possibility of "high calorie malnutrition" / Thiamine & B-Vitamin intake insufficient for the amount of carbs eaten?

A review of the biochemistry, metabolism and clinical benefits of thiamin(e) and its derivatives. - PubMed - NCBI

"Thiamin(e), also known as vitamin B1, is now known to play a fundamental role in energy metabolism. Its discovery followed from the original early research on the 'anti-beriberi factor' found in rice polishings. After its synthesis in 1936, it led to many years of research to find its action in treating beriberi, a lethal scourge known for thousands of years, particularly in cultures dependent on rice as a staple. This paper refers to the previously described symptomatology of beriberi, emphasizing that it differs from that in pure, experimentally induced thiamine deficiency in human subjects. Emphasis is placed on some of the more unusual manifestations of thiamine deficiency and its potential role in modern nutrition. Its biochemistry and pathophysiology are discussed and some of the less common conditions associated with thiamine deficiency are reviewed. An understanding of the role of thiamine in modern nutrition is crucial in the rapidly advancing knowledge applicable to Complementary Alternative Medicine. References are given that provide insight into the use of this vitamin in clinical conditions that are not usually associated with nutritional deficiency. The role of allithiamine and its synthetic derivatives is discussed. Thiamine plays a vital role in metabolism of glucose. Thus, emphasis is placed on the fact that ingestion of excessive simple carbohydrates automatically increases the need for this vitamin. This is referred to as high calorie malnutrition."

Reversible vision loss secondary to malnutrition in a woman with severe anorexia nervosa, purging type, and alcohol abuse. - PubMed - NCBI

"OBJECTIVE:
To report a case of severe reversible vision loss in a woman with a 7-year history of anorexia nervosa, purging type, alcohol abuse and a severely restricted, vitamin-deficient diet.

METHOD:
Psychiatric, ophthalmologic, and medical records were reviewed, and a literature search was performed on visual complications associated with anorexia nervosa and malnutrition.

DISCUSSION:
Ophthalmologic complications of malnutrition are rare but include both oculomotor and visual sensory disturbances. Thiamine deficiency can cause both types of disorders. Vitamin B12 and folate deficiencies are typically associated with optic neuropathy. Clinicians treating eating disorders should be aware of the potential for vitamin deficiencies and associated visual loss in patients with anorexia nervosa. This case highlights the importance of a detailed dietary history to guide vitamin rehabilitation and to minimize or reverse nutritional visual loss.

Nutritional optic and peripheral neuropathy: a case report. - PubMed - NCBI

"INTRODUCTION:
The link between nutritional status and either optic or peripheral neuropathies is well established
with tobacco, ethanol, deficiencies in thiamine, vitamin A, B12, B3 and B6 and protein-energy malnutrition all being causative.

CASE PRESENTATION:
We describe the case of a 32-year-old Afro-Caribbean of Jamaican origin presenting with blurred vision and a painful burning sensation in his feet. The clinical features were consistent with optic and peripheral neuropathy.

CONCLUSIONS:
The patient followed a strict vegan diet and consumed no animal products. A review of the literature highlights similarities between this case and Strachan's syndrome, a combination of optic and peripheral neuropathy and cutaneous excoriation, providing further evidence for the association between this clinical presentation, dietary deficiency and, as recently postulated, previous residence in a tropical or sub-tropical climate.

Clues in the eye: ocular signs of metabolic and nutritional disorders. - PubMed - NCBI

"Ocular signs and symptoms provide clinical clues to many of the more common metabolic and nutritional disorders seen in older adults. Diabetes mellitus can affect all parts of the eye and orbit. Complications include refractive visual loss, macular edema, retinopathy, increased risk of fungal infection, and diplopia. In patients with gout, urate crystals may precipitate in the eye and cause conjunctivitis, uveitis, or scleritis. Other problems are seen with Wilson's disease, hyperlipidemia, and albinism. Nutritional disorders usually arise from malabsorption, gastrointestinal surgery, and alcohol abuse. Deficiencies in vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B12, and C may be manifest in the eye."

Visual loss and optic nerve head swelling in thiamine deficiency without prolonged dietary deficiency. - PubMed - NCBI

"Visual loss due to optic neuropathy is a rare manifestation of thiamine deficiency. We report a case of a 39-year-old woman with a body mass index (BMI) of 29 kg/m(2) who developed visual loss and bilateral optic nerve head swelling after a short, self-limited gastrointestinal illness. She was disoriented and inattentive and had absent ankle jerk reflexes, diminished sensation in both legs below the knees, and marked truncal ataxia. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) showed increased T2-signal in the medial thalami and mammillary bodies. The serum thiamine level was 8 nmol/L (normal 8-30). The diagnosis of thiamine deficiency was made, and the patient's vision and neurologic symptoms improved significantly with intramuscular thiamine treatment. Thiamine deficiency can occur in the absence of an obvious predisposing factor such as alcoholism or low body weight. The clinician must be aware of the factors that govern vitamin availability and maintain a high index of suspicion to make the diagnosis in such cases."

Last edited:
T

tca300

Possible nutrient deficiency. Eating starches over sugar would cause a lower metabolism, and low to zero carb diet would cause it to be super low, possibly seemingly fixing issues when in actuality just lowering the metabolic rate and therefore lowering nutrient needs. The example of the mice fed a fat free, high sugar diet and developing issues because of an unknown B6 deficiency comes to mind.