Sugar Causes SEVERE Oily Skin/seb Derm

leaf-erikson

I just want to preface this by saying I have irrefutably confirmed this, a process of elimination and testing and retesting has confirmed that sugar, regardless of its form (processed/natural) is the cause of my severely oily skin and seborrheic dermatitis (entire face/scalp/facial hair area)

I've had this for almost 7 years, but I actually just realized this a few days ago..I felt incredibly stupid for not seeing how obvious it was all along- even a few sweet potatoes and a glass of orange juice will cause seborrheic dandruff all over my forehead, eyebrows, hair and facial area to erupt the very next morning. it's absolutely crazy, I can feel my face produce ungodly amounts of oil within hours of eating sugar.

cutting out sugar completely has reduced my symptoms by about +90%

what is the hell wrong with me? I ate a typical SAD diet for my 20 years of existence before all of a sudden one day I can't even eat a few sweet potatoes without my face erupting in oil and Seb derm?

wtf is going on?

Richiebogie

Some people have cured the dermatitis with saltwater or garlic. This author avoided all soaps, shampoos and lotions for a few weeks to restore a "natural skin balance" of microbes:

How I Cured My Seborrheic Dermatitis

Sweet potato is high in beta carotene, and OJ has a small amount of this chemical. Do you get the same reaction with just eating raw, ripe bananas? Bananas are low in beta carotene.

Perhaps avoid starch which could cause an insulin reaction and just stick to fruit for a while.

Maybe you could try 100mg aspirin each day or some brewer's yeast like vegemite which is high in B group vitamins to assist your body in digesting the fruit sugar...

DrJ

Maybe you have SIBO. If so, sugar feeds the bacteria that have made it to your small intestine, further burdening your liver and digestive system, and then skin gets bad. You can't absorb vitamins b/c the bacteria get them all and you get mad dandruff. Just an idea in case you're looking for some.

beta pandemic

yeah clearly you have some kinda microbial overgrowth. i would start with 200-400 mg doxycycline/day (my favorite antibiotic). You should see results within a week. If nothing changes it might be fungal and you can try fluconazole.

OP
L

leaf-erikson

yeah clearly you have some kinda microbial overgrowth. i would start with 200-400 mg doxycycline/day (my favorite antibiotic). You should see results within a week. If nothing changes it might be fungal and you can try fluconazole.

How would bacterial overgrowth lead to sugar causing oily skin?

DrJ

If bacteria have made it to the small intestine, then sugar feeds bacterial overgrowth, overburdening the liver. Liver regulates hormones which determine level of sebaceous gland secretion. So if liver is having problems, hormones aren't right and skin oil levels aren't well-regulated. It may not be the cause here, but something to check. If liver is okay, then thyroid should be okay (unless thyroid gland isn't producing T4) and sugar should only boost metabolism. But you seem to say sweet potatoes are involved, which are actually a starch. Starch can cause bacterial overgrowth (burdening liver), but that tends to happen lower in the intestine. You might try raw carrot salad, or activated charcoal to try and fix it. If it's not bacterial overgrowth, another possibility (especially since you are young) might be that the sugar or starch boosts your metabolism so much that you need more vitamins and minerals in proportion to your metabolism, especially vitamin A, to support hormone production at a higher metabolic rate and keep hormones in balance.

EIRE24

You have experience with this?

beta pandemic

You have experience with this?

yeah something similar. are you still dealing with acne?
How would bacterial overgrowth lead to sugar causing oily skin?

i dont know exact mechanism. no one knows all the answers. skin issues are complex. its up to you to try (within reason using logic) what has the potential to work and antimicrobials are a good place to start.

EIRE24

yeah something similar. are you still dealing with acne?

i dont know exact mechanism. no one knows all the answers. skin issues are complex. its up to you to try (within reason using logic) what has the potential to work and antimicrobials are a good place to start.
Yes I am. Its not major but definitely suffering with some skin issues. Mainly dry skin, not oily. I get like a mask of dead skin which I need to exfoliate every so often. Its weird but vitamin A or D and red light havent helped. I've tried lots of other things too and nothing has really made a major difference

beta pandemic

Yes I am. Its not major but definitely suffering with some skin issues. Mainly dry skin, not oily. I get like a mask of dead skin which I need to exfoliate every so often. Its weird but vitamin A or D and red light havent helped. I've tried lots of other things too and nothing has really made a major difference

look into prescription antibiotics/antifungals and diet. like i said in previous post sometimes vitamins are not enough skin issues are complex etc. something in your diet may be causing chronic inflammation leaving you less able to deal with pathogens. many many possibilities but definitely look into those two things. dietary protein is extremely important as well aim for 100-200g/day from a source (animal) you enjoy.

SamYo123

Sugar spikes IGF-1. IGF-1 activates SREBP-1. SREBP-1 increases viscosity of sebum leading to the oily skin you’re experiencing.

Nothing to do with SIBO.

IGF-1 induces SREBP-1 expression and lipogenesis in SEB-1 sebocytes via activation of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway. - PubMed - NCBI

@Travis has talked about it in more detail.
Sugar spikes IGF-1. IGF-1 activates SREBP-1. SREBP-1 increases viscosity of sebum leading to the oily skin you’re experiencing.

Nothing to do with SIBO.

IGF-1 induces SREBP-1 expression and lipogenesis in SEB-1 sebocytes via activation of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway. - PubMed - NCBI

@Travis has talked about it in more detail.
Wheres his topic? and how do you fix the problem?

ursidae

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals