Sugar as antihistamine?

Peata

I've noticed lately when I eat a lot of sugar (a serving bag of candy, for example), I can feel my nasal passages clearing up. I can breathe so well, like the histamine is down. I also feel good, have more energy, and can think clearly.

Any ideas whether sugar is somehow reducing inflammation and helping my allergy symptoms, or do you think this is a coincidence?

Ben

Of course. Sugar not only reduces the stress hormones and shifts metabolism toward glucose oxidation (which produces more CO2 compared to fat oxidation), but fructose increases the metabolism itself and increases CO2 production. CO2 stores 5-HT in platelets and histamine in mast cells. Histamine is a major mediator of allergic and inflammatory responses. Thyroid and caffeine have the same effect if taken with sufficient nutrition.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10727752

Abstract

Caffeine is known to reduce evoked histamine secretion, but the effects of caffeine on anaphylactic shock have not been clarified. We have investigated the effects of caffeine on anaphylactic shock in rats. Systemic anaphylactic shock by compound 48/80 injection was monitored for 1 h. An IgE-dependent local anaphylactic shock was generated by sensitizing the skin with anti-dinitrophenyl (DNP) IgE followed 48 h later with an injection of antigen. Caffeine inhibited compound 48/80-induced anaphylatic shock to 40% with a dose of 1 mg/kg. Caffeine (0.1 mg/kg) inhibited to 56.4+/-0.4% passive cutaneous anaphylactic shock activated by anti-DNP IgE. Caffeine (5-20 mM) significantly inhibited histamine release from rat peritoneal mast cells (RPMCs) activated by compound 48/80 or anti-DNP IgE. Especially, caffeine (20 mM) inhibited by 96.7+/-0.5% histamine release activated by compound 48/80. Moreover, caffeine (1-20 mM) had a significant inhibitory effect on anti-DNP IgE-induced tumor necrosis factor-alpha production from RPMCs. The level of cAMP in RPMCs, when caffeine (20 mM) was added, increased significantly after 5-60 min compared with that of a normal control. These results indicate that caffeine inhibits immediate-type allergic reactions by inhibition of mast cell degranulation in vivo and in vitro.

SAFarmer

Peata said:
I've noticed lately when I eat a lot of sugar (a serving bag of candy, for example), I can feel my nasal passages clearing up. I can breathe so well, like the histamine is down. I also feel good, have more energy, and can think clearly.

Any ideas whether sugar is somehow reducing inflammation and helping my allergy symptoms, or do you think this is a coincidence?

Ray Peat cites a study by Adam Kiewicz often where allergy symptoms disappear in a linear fashion with increases of blood sugar.

Ben

Peata, this is kind of off-topic, but do you get itchiness when you are stressed out? I noticed when I am around people my skin gets very itchy. I thought this is because the stress increases inflammatory mediators.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you, Ben and SAFarmer, for your input. I want to read that study.

Ben, yes I do tend to get the itchiness then. And sometimes I get a cough.

There was a time in my mid20s that I was so chronically and intensely stressed that I broke out in exzema. All over arms and legs. It's a wonder I didn't scratch permanent scars into my skin. At the time I got treatment from derm.

OP
Peata

Peata

Ate a 2.17 oz bag of Skittles (I know, not healthy but..) and I wasn't very far into it when everything gloriously cleared up. I finished the bag. Nasal passages clear and fresh, and I just feel good.

Ben

Peata said:
Thank you, Ben and SAFarmer, for your input. I want to read that study.

Ben, yes I do tend to get the itchiness then. And sometimes I get a cough.

There was a time in my mid20s that I was so chronically and intensely stressed that I broke out in exzema. All over arms and legs. It's a wonder I didn't scratch permanent scars into my skin. At the time I got treatment from derm.
Would a doctor like a dermatologist consider my symptom of itchiness when I'm stressed out? Maybe I could get prescribed an anti-histamine.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Antihistamines are routinely used for itching regardless of the cause. You shouldn't have a problem getting a script for that as long as you have a reasonable doctor. The only problem would be if they wanted to give you something topical but you could just tell them you prefer oral medication. Urticaria is the reason I gave for needing cyproheptadine and it worked out fine.

SAFarmer

Blossom said:
Antihistamines are routinely used for itching regardless of the cause. You shouldn't have a problem getting a script for that as long as you have a reasonable doctor. The only problem would be if they wanted to give you something topical but you could just tell them you prefer oral medication. Urticaria is the reason I gave for needing cyproheptadine and it worked out fine.

My mother always used to itch and was scratching herself all the time. Of course, over the years, I never thought anything of it, except it suddenly made sense since I have read and studied the work of Ray Peat. She just have been diagnosed as Hypothyroid a few months ago. Ray Peat of course emphasized that being allergic and itchy was a sign of hypothyroidism. I just wish I knew these things many years ago, because it could also have prevented her osteoarthritis operation on her back a year ago .

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I wish that had known of Ray 's work years ago too! The suffering that could have possibly been prevented is endless. I say possibly because I honestly don't know one person that either really cares about their health or isn't blinded by mainstream dogma.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals