Sugar and polyuria

kiran

I'm trying to convince my mother to try a little peat, she wants to lose weight.
She's in her 60s.

She says she needs to urinate very often if she eats too much sugar. She also gets very lethargic if she eats too much sugar, that might be the cortisol drop from the sugar.

Her thyroid is "normal", she won't consider thyroid meds(yet), but seeing my weight loss from sitting on my **** for a few months is convincing her slowly I think.

So what do you guys think? All I can think of is supplementing potassium/sodium?

Mittir

In addition to potassium and sodium, eating sugar with protein and little bit of fat in small meals should
keep blood sugar level steady. Ratio of sugar to protein varies from person to person.
Casein in cheese is slow absorbing protein, more suitable for blood sugar control.
You can give her chicken neck soup or fish head soup. Amount of thyroid in these soups
can be quite high. RP mentioned calcium helps with weight loss.

aguilaroja

kiran said:
I'm trying to convince my mother to try a little peat, she wants to lose weight.
She's in her 60s....She says she needs to urinate very often if she eats too much sugar....Her thyroid is "normal"....

Tip of the hat to Mittir, as always.

Here's just a few guess based on trends in the general population:

(a) Unless a person is doing paleo/low carb/Atkins, the protein portion tends to be low. Carbs are just more profitable for the food industry. Increase the portion of safe protein. One sales pitch is that gelatin is good for the joints and nails.

(b) Many older people have problems with frequent urination. Some of the time it's part of depleted metabolism. Other times there's a more orthodox remedy, like untreated infection, medication side effect, etc. She might get this checked out. Sugar could be a non-causative association here.

(c) Coconut oil to the skin as a beauty aid is also an easy sell. Sometimes vitamin D as a nail beautifier is too. (Topical Progest-E, when indicated, has a persuasive "side effect" of often improving the skin.) There's no implication that she is vain–I am just mentioning what sometimes are persuasive arguments.

(d) You might find out when the exact TSH number is. That may give some clue about the extent of depletion.