Suet, how to?

mamakitty

Hi guys, can someone please tell me how to cook with suet? I know how to use it for pastry but not how to cook with it. Can I use it straight from frozen or I need to thaw it before cooking? Can I use it pure or do I need to mix it with some other fat? Does it smoke a lot?

Thanks

Nomane Euger

Okay, thank you!
If it’s grass fed grass finished it taste neutral,the fat that is the closest to the kidneys can have some kidneys flavors,bad in most cases because most kidneys I have experienced taste bad.if you want an animal fat that taste marvelous and make you feel good,try to find some grass fed grass finished young lamb subcutaneous fat specifically in spring summer,it taste marvelous only if the animal ate only grass

OP
M

mamakitty

If it’s grass fed grass finished it taste neutral,the fat that is the closest to the kidneys can have some kidneys flavors,bad in most cases because most kidneys I have experienced taste bad.if you want an animal fat that taste marvelous and make you feel good,try to find some grass fed grass finished young lamb subcutaneous fat specifically in spring summer,it taste marvelous only if the animal ate only grass
The suet i was able to get is in fact, grass fed but I’m not 100% sure if it’s grass finished.
I also happen to have lamb tallow that’s from summer lambs. Although, it definitely has a gamey taste and smell, albeit not unbearable.

Jinju

I render suet to make tallow. And I use the tallow for cooking/baking just like butter or any other fat.

Nomane Euger

The suet i was able to get is in fact, grass fed but I’m not 100% sure if it’s grass finished.
I also happen to have lamb tallow that’s from summer lambs. Although, it definitely has a gamey taste and smell, albeit not unbearable.
Grass fed grass finished lamb subcutaneous fat and grass fed grass finished lamb suet taste radically different and have a radically different texture from each other ,I don’t know from what you made your tallow exactly,ask your butcher the fat from just underneath the skin on the back and the chest/belly,these are the best part

OP
M

mamakitty

Grass fed grass finished lamb subcutaneous fat and grass fed grass finished lamb suet taste radically different and have a radically different texture from each other ,I don’t know from what you made your tallow exactly,ask your butcher the fat from just underneath the skin on the back and the chest/belly,these are the best part
Oh, now that’s gonna be a hard ask for my butcher, I live in a goshdarn city after all.
However, I do agree with you regarding the taste differences because I had eaten lamb chest fat at an ethnic place, and man oh man, it was delicious!

OP
M

mamakitty

I render suet to make tallow. And I use the tallow for cooking/baking just like butter or any other fat.
I have tallow as well as suet. I read that rendered fat is not good because of cholesterol oxidising or whatever. So I am thinking of cooking with suet straight up.

Jinju

I try and render it at a very low temperature in the oven. I think you can use suet straight up but it if is frozen it would be a pain to wrestle with it every time you want to use some...

OP
M

mamakitty

I try and render it at a very low temperature in the oven. I think you can use suet straight up but it if is frozen it would be a pain to wrestle with it every time you want to use some...
That’s a good point about wrestling with it! I will attempt rendering it on low heat.

aliml

Thanks! Do you think rendering can oxidise the cholesterol though?
No, rendering is safe.

Ruminant melted fat (such as render suet) intake improves gut microbiota, serum anti-inflammatory parameters and fatty acids profile.

OP
M

mamakitty

No, rendering is safe.

Ruminant melted fat (such as render suet) intake improves gut microbiota, serum anti-inflammatory parameters and fatty acids profile.

Wow, thanks for this! It’s a big help actually, because I had been so worried about using tallow ever since I heard it’s oxidised.

What do you think of cholesterol oxidising in cooked egg yolks?

aliml

Wow, thanks for this! It’s a big help actually, because I had been so worried about using tallow ever since I heard it’s oxidised.

What do you think of cholesterol oxidising in cooked egg yolks?
No worries, Egg yolks contain natural antioxidants such as vitamins E, Phosvitin, Phospholipids and Carotenoids that prevent lipids peroxidation (cholesterol oxidation).

OP
M

mamakitty

No worries, Egg yolks contain natural antioxidants such as vitamins E, Phosvitin, Phospholipids and Carotenoids that prevent lipids peroxidation (cholesterol oxidation).

Very good, thanks a lot again! I was quite worried about the yolks I just cannot eat them raw!

Nomane Euger

Very good, thanks a lot again! I was quite worried about the yolks I just cannot eat them raw!
The tastiest way is when the yolk is still liquid or jelly and not hard,you boil the water,you the eggs in the water and wait betweeen 4min50 and 5min20,the white will be cooked ,the yellow still jelly and taste awesome,exposition of flavor