Suddenly unable to tolerate coffee

lampofred

I usually drink 10 cups of coffee a day with no problems (dark roast, so caffeine content isn't that high) and have been doing so for a few years. But I suddenly have become unable to tolerate coffee the last few days, even a little bit makes me extremely nauseous. It is the same brand but a new bottle. But caffeine pills don't cause a problem.

Is it probably just a bad batch? Or could I have some nutrient deficiencies that are making it hard for my liver to metabolize coffee, hence the nausea?

Don't want to rely on pills so I want to figure out why I can't tolerate coffee all of a sudden. Without caffeine I have no life lol.

schultz

I get this occasionally as well. It's rare but I have noticed it as I consistently use 20-30g of instant per day and have so for years. I have never figured out what causes it exactly but I will get nauseau and a headache and need to lower my coffee intake for a few days. I've noticed orange juice fixes it for me. Could be low sugar, but could be endotoxin causing liver stress, or both, or something in the coffee aside from caffeine. I don't know lol.

TradClare

Try a new bottle, it seems like it's the new container of coffee. I am sometimes nauseated by coffee, which I think is migraine related, but you've been doing great for years. Perhaps more than usual mycotoxins in your current batch or something

Perry Staltic

I had something similar happen. I wondered if it was from the acrylamides. So I had to stop, but it was tough because I love the taste. Finally figured out I could take a sip and spit it out into a cup like chewing tobacco. Now I allow myself to drink one cup, but anything more than that gets spit out.

gaze

try light/medium roast but less cups so the caffeine evens out.

B

Blaze

Good advice----have less cups if you are drinking lighter roasts. That's a little known fact- many people are surprised to hear that a light or medium roast has more caffeine than the dark roast, not less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have this acute issue, but I used to drink a vast huge cup of coffee with no issues but now coffee keeps me awake, and even a moderate cup is something I really feel.

Birdie

I don't have this acute issue, but I used to drink a vast huge cup of coffee with no issues but now coffee keeps me awake, and even a moderate cup is something I really feel.
Does this happen when you just drink it in the morning? It sounds like even the morning dose keeps you awake. I have to stop with the caffeine around 1pm, but never even considered earlier doses could have that effect. Interesting,

Birdie

He said he uses dark roast and that it has less caffeine. I've not heard that before. I thought the medium would be weaker on the caffeine. Guess not?

Birdie

I usually drink 10 cups of coffee a day with no problems (dark roast, so caffeine content isn't that high) and have been doing so for a few years. But I suddenly have become unable to tolerate coffee the last few days, even a little bit makes me extremely nauseous. It is the same brand but a new bottle. But caffeine pills don't cause a problem.

Is it probably just a bad batch? Or could I have some nutrient deficiencies that are making it hard for my liver to metabolize coffee, hence the nausea?

Don't want to rely on pills so I want to figure out why I can't tolerate coffee all of a sudden. Without caffeine I have no life lol.
A similar thing happened to me, but it was the milk. I was using Maple Farms reduced fat and loving it for months. Then, it seemed to upset my stomach. Figured it was different seasonal grass like Ray talks about. So, I had to switch milk at least for the rest of the season or time period until the pasture might change back.

What kind of coffee is it I wonder if another brand could work.

B

Blaze

He said he uses dark roast and that it has less caffeine. I've not heard that before. I thought the medium would be weaker on the caffeine. Guess not?
If the coffee is a darker roast it will have less caffeine as long as the coffee was roasted at 455 degrees or more which degrades the caffeine. There are roasters that use lower roasting temps of 430 degrees and in those roasts the caffeine would be about the same regardless of the roasting time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Coffee is a thiamine Antagonist. I wonder if adding in some vitamin B1 HCl would make a difference.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals