Sudden intolerance to honey after months of daily consumption. What gives?

username

I come from a strict raw carnivore diet. I began consuming honey alongside my carnivore diet. I would consume from 100-300 grams of honey per day. I did this for 2+ months without issue. All of the sudden I began having brutal diarrhea. 10+ visits to the restroom per day. After several days, I removed honey and things got back to normal after a couple of days. That was around a month ago. Today I put 50 grams of the same honey in my milk and I had diarrhea again within a few hours for the first time since the last time I consumed honey. I am not consuming any other food with fructose, so I do not know if my intolerance now includes all fructose. I will have to experiment to give more details to my question, but I am fearful and not ready to try anything else quite yet. I went carnivore in the first place because it helped my digestion so much. I have had terrible digestion (diarrhea, bloating, gas) my whole life, and after experiencing relief with the carnivore diet, I get very perturbed when digestion issues arise. PTSD almost.

So what could cause a sudden intolerance to the same honey that had been consumed for many months in large quantities without issue?

keytothecity

What do you mean? It is raw local honey from the same batch as before.
I know for a fact that many honeys have pesticide problems from the flowers on the fields where the bees go
Whether this is the case with ur source idk

i have heard people say honey shouldn’t be heated, too

otherwise no idea

Vileplume

Did you take your temp during that time with honey? How’d you feel?

When I was on carnivore, my list of tolerable foods shrank and shrank for months. I lost the ability to tolerate ground beef, butter, eggs, and brisket, each of which was fine at one point. I think it had something to do with my terrible metabolism at the time. The increasingly poor metabolism led to a growing list of trouble foods, even ones I had previously been eating on carnivore.

OP
username

username

Did you take your temp during that time with honey? How’d you feel?

When I was on carnivore, my list of tolerable foods shrank and shrank for months. I lost the ability to tolerate ground beef, butter, eggs, and brisket, each of which was fine at one point. I think it had something to do with my terrible metabolism at the time. The increasingly poor metabolism led to a growing list of trouble foods, even ones I had previously been eating on carnivore.
I was taking my temp, and I was around 98-98.5 most of the time. I was feeling a bit better with honey than without. I noticed an improvement in energy when going for long walks.

My experience with carnivore is a little different. I feel that the longer I stayed strict, the better my digestion became. So say that I went 3 months strict carnivore, when I came off and ate something wild with loads of ingredients (vege pizza for example), it wouldn't phase me, but if I continued to do it day after day my digestion would get worse and worse very quickly. When I am off carnivore, I have no tolerance for eating something like this.

dukesbobby777

Possibly a food you’re eating already that’s caused an allergenic reaction to the honey. Milk possibly.

Perry Staltic

Do you raise the bees or know what the bee keeper feeds his bees with? A lot of bee keepers use high fructose corn syrup during the times pollen is not available.

OP
username

username

Do you raise the bees or know what the bee keeper feeds his bees with? A lot of bee keepers use high fructose corn syrup during the times pollen is not available.
I do not raise the bees or know for sure what the bee keeper feeds the bees. They are local where I live in Costa Rica. I know they take pride in being raw and natural, but I can't say for sure what happens behind the scenes. I don't know if they have trouble with pollen here in Costa Rica.
Possibly a food you’re eating already that’s caused an allergenic reaction to the honey. Milk possibly.
I have been having milk in the same quantities all through the process without a problem.

jet9

I come from a strict raw carnivore diet. I began consuming honey alongside my carnivore diet. I would consume from 100-300 grams of honey per day. I did this for 2+ months without issue. All of the sudden I began having brutal diarrhea. 10+ visits to the restroom per day. After several days, I removed honey and things got back to normal after a couple of days. That was around a month ago. Today I put 50 grams of the same honey in my milk and I had diarrhea again within a few hours for the first time since the last time I consumed honey. I am not consuming any other food with fructose, so I do not know if my intolerance now includes all fructose. I will have to experiment to give more details to my question, but I am fearful and not ready to try anything else quite yet. I went carnivore in the first place because it helped my digestion so much. I have had terrible digestion (diarrhea, bloating, gas) my whole life, and after experiencing relief with the carnivore diet, I get very perturbed when digestion issues arise. PTSD almost.

So what could cause a sudden intolerance to the same honey that had been consumed for many months in large quantities without issue?
Did anything in your diet change besides the honey? (your regular staples). Do you eat exactly the same foods now as during your 2 months "good" period with honey?
Any supplements/lifestyle changes?

OP
username

username

Did anything in your diet change besides the honey? (your regular staples). Do you eat exactly the same foods now as during your 2 months "good" period with honey?
Any supplements/lifestyle changes?
I experimented with some supplements, but otherwise the diet was the same. I am very careful because I have had such a hard time with digestion in the past. I started taking thiamine hcl and was taking it for a few weeks before the problem arose. I am no longer taking thiamine hcl and I still reacted badly to a little honey today. There have been no other diet/supplement/lifestyle changes that I can think of.

lvysaur

I did this for 2+ months without issue. All of the sudden I began having brutal diarrhea. 10+ visits to the restroom per day.
Mast cell issues maybe?
I have COVID, and mast cells are implicated. I actually felt fine for 2 months straight, and then my symptoms came back.

A lot of people with Mast issues say how they'll have an allergic reaction one day, and then be totally fine another day. I've had this happen lifelong as well. Fresh shellfish sometimes gave me mild hives while touching them--other times nothing at all. Have you ever experienced any of the following throughout your life?

-Inconsistent hives (example: you handle shellfish fine, but sometimes touching it gives you itchy hives)

-Dermatographia (this is where you write on your skin and if puffs up)

-itching/tingling of hair follicles (especially with spicy food)

-soreness of hair follicles for no apparent reason

-random burning in the eyes, for no apparent reason

-regular nosebleeds, especially as a kid

-fainting/syncope

-very good teeth, lack of cavities, especially if your dental hygiene habits are poor

A lot of these symptoms are associated with Mast disorders, there are more but those are the ones I've experienced.

Vileplume

Mast cell issues maybe?
I have COVID, and mast cells are implicated. I actually felt fine for 2 months straight, and then my symptoms came back.

A lot of people with Mast issues say how they'll have an allergic reaction one day, and then be totally fine another day. I've had this happen lifelong as well. Fresh shellfish sometimes gave me mild hives while touching them--other times nothing at all. Have you ever experienced any of the following throughout your life?

-Inconsistent hives (example: you handle shellfish fine, but sometimes touching it gives you itchy hives)

-fainting/syncope

-very good teeth, lack of cavities, especially if your dental hygiene habits are poor

A lot of these symptoms are associated with Mast disorders, there are more but those are the ones I've experienced.
Hey fellow Pokémon.

This is a bit off topic, and I can imagine the answer may be more complicated that the question implies, but if you were given the opportunity to go back and choose between getting covid or taking the mRNA vaccine instead, which option would you pick and why?

PS—how is Ash doing these days?

lvysaur

This is a bit off topic, and I can imagine the answer may be more complicated that the question implies, but if you were given the opportunity to go back and choose between getting covid or taking the mRNA vaccine instead, which option would you pick and why?
I would not take the vaccine. I would also try not to contract COVID. The reason I did was because I live in the northeast, where they were covering up the outbreak back in February-March 2020.

I would wear a mask in public and try to limit going to public spaces. I'd also take prophylactic drugs like ivermectin among others. None of this was known at the time that I got sick.

Some here support the "virus as exosome" theory, which I think holds some merit. However, the illness which causes "viral exosomes" show evidence of contagion. So even if it's all from 5G induced cell water structure, I would still wear a mask. It doesn't really cost me anything.

I don't pay attention to pokemon anymore, lol. There's thousands of them and it doesn't interest me.

Vileplume

I would not take the vaccine. I would also try not to contract COVID. The reason I did was because I live in the northeast, where they were covering up the outbreak back in February-March 2020.

I would wear a mask in public and try to limit going to public spaces. I'd also take prophylactic drugs like ivermectin among others. None of this was known at the time that I got sick.

Some here support the "virus as exosome" theory, which I think holds some merit. However, the illness which causes "viral exosomes" show evidence of contagion. So even if it's all from 5G induced cell water structure, I would still wear a mask. It doesn't really cost me anything.

I don't pay attention to pokemon anymore, lol. There's thousands of them and it doesn't interest me.
I appreciate the reply! And I agree, way too many Pokémon.

OP
username

username

Mast cell issues maybe?

-fainting/syncope

I appreciate that you have taken the time to write this up, but no, I have never really experienced anything from this list.
What supplements beside thiamine?
-Armour thyroid
-aspirin
-activated charcoal
-vitamin k2
-zinc
-astaxanthin

Many of these haven't caused any issues before the bad reaction, but I stopped a lot of them around that time because the diarrhea was so bad and haven't reintroduced them. I can say that the activated charcoal was really weird for me. It didn't stop me up at all like a lot of people seem to experience. It seemed like it was loosening stools for me. Maybe it contributed, but I haven't tried it since (a month ago), and I still had a bad reaction to a small amount of honey yesterday.