Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Linked To High Serotonin

haidut

Forum Supporter
In one of his very early interviews Peat was asked about SIDS and its likely cause. He said he was not sure but given the occurrence of SIDS mostly during the night and winter months he thought a pituitary hormone or a neurotransmitter might be involved. I posted some preliminary studies on the forum almost 2 years ago linking high blood serotonin levels to SIDS. However, the pharma industry immediately responded with (possibly fake) studies of their own claiming that, just as in suicide victims, blood serotonin in SIDS victims was actually low.
This new study re-establishes once again ties SIDS to high serotonin levels and suggests that serotonin can actually be used as biomarker to distinguish SIDS from other causes of unexpected infant deaths.

High serum serotonin in sudden infant death syndrome
Blood of SIDS infants contains high levels of serotonin

"...Blood samples from infants who died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) had high levels of serotonin, a chemical that carries signals along and between nerves, according to a study funded in part by the National Institutes of Health. The finding raises the possibility that a test could be developed to distinguish SIDS cases from other causes of sleep-related, unexpected infant death. The study, led by Robin L. Haynes, Ph.D., of Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, appears in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. NIH’s Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) provided funding for the work.

"...SIDS is the sudden death of an infant under one year of age that remains unexplained after a complete autopsy and death scene investigation. In the current study, researchers reported that 31 percent of SIDS infants (19 of 61) had elevated blood levels of serotonin. In previous studies, the researchers reported multiple serotonin-related brain abnormalities in SIDS cases, including a decrease in serotonin in regions involved in breathing, heart rate patterns, blood pressure, temperature regulation, and arousal during sleep.

RealNeat

What are potential mitigation strategies for a baby? I understand serotonin antagonism for adults but I'm sure with infants there is a different method. Maybe in room negative ion generators?

RealNeat

Possibly avoiding bananas and pineapples etc for the breastfeeding mother would be good. Also avoiding gut irritating foods for the mother would also prevent high serotonin in the baby through breast milk

Peatress

mostlylurking

Avoiding vaccines would be very helpful

The vaccines block thiamine function, which results in autonomic difficulties which includes automatic breathing.

Waynish

The stats on serotonin are plentiful, but the precise methods for measurement in each case are hard to come by...
1) What tissue(s) or fluid(s) is the molecule retrieved from?
2) How deterministic is testing of such samples for serotonin?
3) Has actual science been done trying to falsify serotonin testing - like has been done with viral testing?

Serotonin is a lot smaller than viruses!

Peatress

The vaccines block thiamine function, which results in autonomic difficulties which includes automatic breathing.

Thank you. They also induce scurvy.

Vaccines - What are they good for? - Absolutely nothing :singing:

mostlylurking

The stats on serotonin are plentiful, but the precise methods for measurement in each case are hard to come by...
3) Has actual science been done trying to falsify serotonin testing - like has been done with viral testing?

High serotonin happens when thiamine function is blocked or there's a thiamine deficiency. Thiamine is known to clear serotonin from the brain.

"Serotonin turnover has been investigated in regional brain areas of rats made thiamine deficient by pyrithiamine (PT). Following intracisternal injection of [14C]5-hydroxytryptamine ([14C]5-HT), a marked increase in the accumulation of [14C]5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid ([14C]5-HIAA) was found in the medulla-pons, hypothalamus and cerebral cortex. [14C]5-HT levels were normal in all of the brain areas except the cerebral cortex which had an increase of 58%. The ratio of [14C]5-HIAA/[14C]5-HT was significantly increased in every brain region of PT-treated rats except the cerebral cortex. Part of this increase in [14C]5-HIAA was shown to be due to impairment of active transport of this 5-HT metabolite out of the brain. However, increased 5-HT synthesis in the cerebellum, hypothalamus, striatum, hippocampus and cerebral cortex was demonstrated by measurement of 5-HT accumulation after inhibition of brain monoamine oxidase. PT-induced increase in endogenous 5-HIAA in the medulla-pons occurred simultaneously with the onset of neurological signs and both parameters were reversible by thiamine administration. These results suggest that acute thiamine deficiency, induced by PT, both increases brain 5-HT synthesis and impairs 5-HIAA efflux from the brain. There is a close correlation between neurological manifestations and changes in brain 5-HT metabolism in acute thiamine deficiency."

mostlylurking

You see how that doesn't answer my question, don't you? I could ask the same 3 questions about thiamine.
This question??

Hey, I'm just going by my own personal experience and what I've read over the past 3 years. I am not a high tech biochemistry lab expert. I was very high in serotonin (based on my symptoms), then I took up high dosing thiamine hcl and now I'm not high in serotonin (based on my symptoms).