Sudden Blurry Vision

@Peatful

Thank you for your words and support.

I’ve never heard of GB but it is a relief to know some conditions can come on suddenly and just resolve.

The ER ended up injecting the contrast dye without my consent and it was reported as medical error... at least a few doctors agreed it was unnecessary. MRI confirmed the diagnosis and did not show anything else. I think it was done mainly because of the CPS case.

It has been so stressful.

hang in there.
keep us updated.

OP
C

catan

I’m very angry. The report to CPS included findings and diagnosis not said to me, and said I was told it was likely brain tumor and life threatening. And forced us to get this MRI done. So now I have a record that I was reported for medical neglect.

Also the issue of injecting the dye without my consent when the procedure hadn’t been necessary.

Trying to decide now what to do. Friends have told me to call a lawyer. One nurse friend told me that she’s seen ON in older people with MS but not children, but doesn’t make sense to her that the ophthalmologist had never seen it. Also she added the eye clinic my daughter was seen at was a teaching hospital and does push testing.

The anxiety is through the roof. I’m exclusively nursing a four month old and hardly slept or ate in weeks.

On the vision front, my daughter is showing significant improvement this week. Her left eye is actually perfect, they told me this in the ER when they finally did a comprehensive exam.

Peatful

I was going to private message you. But I might as well process and support you here publicly.

I’m angry too; and deeply troubled. At several levels.

First and foremost-
I am thrilled and celebrate your daughters healing.
Kids are resilient. She cleared up in no time.
Grateful.

Now for you...
I get it; boy, do I get it.

A lawyer and lawsuit is another level of stress.

However, what I would fight for, however you do it- is a addendum or a clearing of the ignorance they attached to you in the medical records.
This has incompetence all over it - hence my hesitation to take my child to even a simple eye exam. Plus, legally, they will never admit or take blame.
It would be quite a fight ahead for you. But getting your name cleared is important I believe.

Please please keep me posted.
Are you in the US?
Which state if so?

Hugs.

LucyL

Do you homeschool? If so, and you're not already a member, consider joining HSLDA pronto. Irregardless, here is their general advice for dealing with CPS:

If you are unable to call HSLDA, consider the following guidelines. The guidelines do not constitute legal advice from HSLDA; you must call us and speak with an attorney to receive specific advice for your situation.

1. Be courteous and respectful at all times. Don’t lose your temper. Getting angry will not help resolve the situation and will probably result in more officials being called to the scene.
  2. Never touch or physically resist a police officer. You will likely be arrested and taken to jail.
  3. Ask what the allegations against you are. Don’t settle for a vague response, such as “physical abuse.” Once you understand what the specific allegations against you are, you may be able to clear them up quickly. If the official refuses to say what you are specifically alleged to have done wrong, it is probably best for you not to answer any questions.
  4. Bring your children to the door so the official can observe that they are safe and well cared for. This should remove any concern that they are in danger or suffering from maltreatment.
  5. As a general rule, don’t let an official talk with your children alone (unless the official has a court order). Important factors to consider include the nature of the allegations against you and the ages and maturity levels of your children. Remember, it is best to speak with an attorney for advice about your particular situation.
  6. Generally speaking, don’t let the official into your home unless he or she has a court order. The 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects against unreasonable search and seizure. However, consenting to entry is sometimes a good strategy for quickly resolving an investigation. It is best to speak with an attorney for advice about what to do in your particular situation.
  7. You might wish to make an audio or video recording of your conversation with the official. Doing so provides a record of events that could later be helpful in court. It could also encourage the official to remain calm and professional. However, if your first response to a CPS worker, police officer, or other official at your door is to shove a camera in his or her face, this may escalate the situation unnecessarily. If you choose to record, keep the camera in plain view and politely advise the official that you are recording.

OP
C

catan

@Peatful

Thank you for your support and for understanding.

We are in Michigan.

She was seen initially at a reputable eye clinic/hospital, and so in my attempt to seek a second opinion, I was told as she was already seen by the best and therefore should just do what they request. When the head ophthalmologist showed up at Emergency I asked why they didn't know what it was, as apparently it's seen in adults with MS, and why did we have to go to Emergency Dept, he said inexperience and 'sometimes people get excited when it might be a rare brain disease.'

He examined her himself, the finding was a 'mildly swollen optic nerve' which he rated 3 or less from a scale from 1-10, and tested all her reflexes and reaction time, etc., in front of a team of doctors to show how its optic neuritis. He further said the only known treatment is IV steroids which research has not shown to be effective, and it's up to me whether or not we wish to treat.

The CPS allegation stated the finding was 'elevated optic disc' and diagnosis 'optic disc edema, a serious vision threatening infection/inflammation or brain tumor' and 'the infection can cause permanent brain damage and brain tumor can cause death.'

I am not sure how far this can go legally... but yes I do want to clear my name and file a complaint against that doctor that reported me.

OP
C

catan

@LucyL

We did join HSLDA and I've been in touch with someone.

The investigator talked to my daughter alone, and she checked to make sure there's food, running water, and place for kids to sleep. I didn't want to escalate further and figured being cooperative would be in my favor.

She would not let me record her. However, she was willing to give me the allegation over the phone some days later so I would have it to discuss with the hospital.

LucyL

catan, thank you for sharing your story. Did you get any paperwork from the ophthalmologist at the initial visit, stating the diagnosis and recommendations? What about insurance filings?

OP
C

catan

catan, thank you for sharing your story. Did you get any paperwork from the ophthalmologist at the initial visit, stating the diagnosis and recommendations? What about insurance filings?

She was not diagnosed at that initial visit. The only finding I was told was ‘mildly swollen optic nerve’. I’m in the process of getting all her medical records.

revenant

I had blurry vision for a few months, accompanied by eczema. Not sure what caused it all, except that I was feeling pretty bad in general at that time. I think sunlight helped. Also stopped eating chicken, rice and broccoli at every meal and switched to more Peaty foods.

All I know is that it wasn't completely age-related and turned out to be temporary, which was a relief.

OP
C

catan

I had blurry vision for a few months, accompanied by eczema. Not sure what caused it all, except that I was feeling pretty bad in general at that time. I think sunlight helped. Also stopped eating chicken, rice and broccoli at every meal and switched to more Peaty foods.

All I know is that it wasn't completely age-related and turned out to be temporary, which was a relief.

Thanks for sharing. Did you ever see a doctor about it? How did you manage with blurry vision?

Interesting about the eczema. My daughter has a rash on her arm and also itchy eyes. I’m thinking she must have inflammation but because we’ve been under so much stress she gets quite upset at the idea of radically changing her diet right now so taking that slowly...

OP
C

catan

She was not diagnosed at that initial visit. The only finding I was told was ‘mildly swollen optic nerve’. I’m in the process of getting all her medical records.

The paperwork I was given did not list a diagnosis, but today I logged onto the online portal and it stated the finding was bilateral vision loss and optic nerve edema. I’m 100% sure he didn’t say ‘edema’ that day or I would have been much more worried.

I also got a call from neurology dept requesting a new patient appointment with her. They want to do further testing as this is uncommon in children. In order to get discharged that day from emergency (we were there 8am till near midnight), I had to agree to follow up with head ophthalmologist or let neurology do more tests. Neurology wanted to see her before I saw the head ophthalmologist (who diagnosed her with ON and said no treatment needed if I didn’t want it). I was firm about no further testing but I’m afraid they’ll just find excuses to do so.

LucyL

Why would you have been more worried about edema? It just means swollen (fluid retention), and that's what you were told. Do you have a pediatrician you trust and have some history with? If so, I would get a recommendation from them as to proceeding with further testing, or at least get a recommendation for a neurologist from someone you trust, and fulfill the agreement to see a neurologist, but on your own terms. BUT far more important than what I think of course, is whatever a lawyer you can get help from would recommend. It's tricky territory to be sure, with government involved.

revenant

Thanks for sharing. Did you ever see a doctor about it? How did you manage with blurry vision?

Interesting about the eczema. My daughter has a rash on her arm and also itchy eyes. I’m thinking she must have inflammation but because we’ve been under so much stress she gets quite upset at the idea of radically changing her diet right now so taking that slowly...

I tried to rest my eyes as much as possible and just kind of waited it out.

Maybe try sunlight, or if not available, a red light lamp? Also, baking soda is worth a shot, as blurry vision can be caused by reflux (pepsin) as well.

OP
C

catan

@LucyL

Honestly I don’t know. I felt they were pushing more invasive tests than necessary since my daughter has no other symptoms, no change in behavior etc. and they did basic tests only.

LucyL

@LucyL

Honestly I don’t know. I felt they were pushing more invasive tests than necessary since my daughter has no other symptoms, no change in behavior etc. and they did basic tests only.
Fwiw, that is completely reasonable approach among normal people :-D . If the child is acting normally, not distressed by the symptoms, eating/drinking/pooping, and precursory exam reveals nothing, then there is usually no huge rush to do a lot of invasive tests. That is the approach all the pediatricians my kids have visited have used.

HeartGold

If it has to do with histamine, as I recall Peat stated that sugar (fructose, sucrose) had anti-histamine effects. I rely on fruits like grapes to keep the histamine from getting out of hand. I've got a genetic glitch where I don't produce enough anti-histamine (aka DAO) and so the added fruit tends to help.
How do you figure something out like a genetic glitch?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals