Sudden Blurry Vision

catan

My 8 year old daughter told me yesterday she couldn’t make out words on a page, no matter how close she brings the page to her face. No other symptoms, she’s looking and acting as usual.

This past Sunday she was still reading and doing work that she couldn’t do yesterday. Monday morning I asked her to turn off the timer in the kitchen and she was not able to and I realized she wasn’t pushing the right button. She only mentioned she couldn’t read words yesterday when she had to read something for a presentation at school.

Her vision had always been fine, she can see words from a distance I can’t (I wear glasses).

The sudden onset is worrying and so far I’ve only been able to get an appointment at an optometrist earliest tomorrow. So I’m hoping others might have ideas what this could be?

achillea

I have experience with concussion and extreme onset of headache for 11 years. I now know I’ve had what is known as “word blindness”. As a child, I was slow to learn to read but I wasn’t low in intelligence. Helen Irlen discovered this sensitivity of light and contrast and it is now remedied with evaluation and custom colored and saturated layers to ease the brain in scotopic sensitivity. When I had my evaluation (age 62), I was rated as severe. While it is true that a concussion was involved, I had always struggled with fitting in, the stress of this condition is as if flashbulbs are going off in your brain, and naturally I was always trying to compensate but would find myself easily tired, dreading participation. The Irelen Institute is in Long Beach and there are practitioners everywhere. Well worth checking.
Also, I have been doing faithful Peating for over 4 years, but for me I wasn’t yet recovering (extreme head pain upon awakening, or just rolling over in bed due to an endocranial adjustment done by a chiropractor-changing my life forever) I am a retired certified Loomis practitioner and I remembered the one thing about the eyes and that they are Vit C intensive organs meaning they require a lot and there is a reflex point that shows if a person is stressed from a deficiency or not. One of my colleges proved I was deficient and much to my reticence, I did take Vit C as a trial but no symptom change. I was craving orange juice and so consumed much until I could find a solution. Recently, I stumbled upon Recverin on You Tube where Doug Kit demonstrates how to oxidize the Vit C to make dehydroascorbate (DHAA) and he refers to studies showing that lyposomal C is invalid (I attest) and sugar interferes with the so-called receptor sites of DHAA. I have been doing this type of C and so far, so good. My headaches have almost disappeared after about 2 weeks of dosing (separate from sugar intake which takes a little clock watching). This has been a breakthrough for me. I hope this helps you with your child.
Also, to get a handle on what was causing my problem, I consulted a Body Talk practitioner who consulted my body (over the phone-if you can believe) and my body told her that CFS fluid wasn’t getting into one of my brain’s vesicles. This helped me immensely to know. I use a vibrator on my head before the windup of pain starts and dose with the DHAA at bedside (on ice). I now go back to sleep without the flushing and heart racing that my body was trying to produce the surge of energy needed to get CFS fluid into the vesicle. Caffeine at 3am. Is hard to go back to sleep on. This is a long string of ideas, but I’ve suffered for many years and tried many things. I’ve found this works for me. We’ve got the best forum around and since we are all experimental and crowd brain-storming, our solutions may be novel, and artistic. After all, fun is the point of life, right?

Peatful

My 8 year old daughter told me yesterday she couldn’t make out words on a page, no matter how close she brings the page to her face. No other symptoms, she’s looking and acting as usual.

This past Sunday she was still reading and doing work that she couldn’t do yesterday. Monday morning I asked her to turn off the timer in the kitchen and she was not able to and I realized she wasn’t pushing the right button. She only mentioned she couldn’t read words yesterday when she had to read something for a presentation at school.

Her vision had always been fine, she can see words from a distance I can’t (I wear glasses).

The sudden onset is worrying and so far I’ve only been able to get an appointment at an optometrist earliest tomorrow. So I’m hoping others might have ideas what this could be?
I’m no expert - but I am a mom of girls.
What I noted was when there was a growth spurt there was a vision change - along with other maladies.
Especially my youngest was hyper aware.

Lmk if you have any questions.

Peatful

OP
C

catan

Hi Peatful,

Would you mind sharing what kind of vision change?

We are able to pinpoint that her vision was blurry when she woke up Monday morning. But she was fine all day on Sunday.

No headaches or dizziness or any trauma to her head. Her eyes look fine, no redness itchiness or anything. She did have eye irritation for awhile last month that last weeks and it went away.

I talked to a friend who is skeptical of all mainstream doctors, and he suggested perhaps it’s an infection or allergy reaction based on the sudden onset. He gave me some MSM drops to try.

My other family members I’ve talked to believe I should take her to urgent care or the ER. As of now I have an appointment with an optometrist tomorrow afternoon.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I’m no expert - but I am a mom of girls.
What I noted was when there was a growth spurt there was a vision change - along with other maladies.
Especially my youngest was hyper aware.

Lmk if you have any questions.

OP
C

catan

Achillea, thank you for sharing all this. It gives me something to think about and look into. That’s fascinating about the Body Talk practitioner. I need some time to digest other parts of your post.

I have experience with concussion and extreme onset of headache for 11 years. I now know I’ve had what is known as “word blindness”. As a child, I was slow to learn to read but I wasn’t low in intelligence. Helen Irlen discovered this sensitivity of light and contrast and it is now remedied with evaluation and custom colored and saturated layers to ease the brain in scotopic sensitivity. When I had my evaluation (age 62), I was rated as severe. While it is true that a concussion was involved, I had always struggled with fitting in, the stress of this condition is as if flashbulbs are going off in your brain, and naturally I was always trying to compensate but would find myself easily tired, dreading participation. The Irelen Institute is in Long Beach and there are practitioners everywhere. Well worth checking.
Also, I have been doing faithful Peating for over 4 years, but for me I wasn’t yet recovering (extreme head pain upon awakening, or just rolling over in bed due to an endocranial adjustment done by a chiropractor-changing my life forever) I am a retired certified Loomis practitioner and I remembered the one thing about the eyes and that they are Vit C intensive organs meaning they require a lot and there is a reflex point that shows if a person is stressed from a deficiency or not. One of my colleges proved I was deficient and much to my reticence, I did take Vit C as a trial but no symptom change. I was craving orange juice and so consumed much until I could find a solution. Recently, I stumbled upon Recverin on You Tube where Doug Kit demonstrates how to oxidize the Vit C to make dehydroascorbate (DHAA) and he refers to studies showing that lyposomal C is invalid (I attest) and sugar interferes with the so-called receptor sites of DHAA. I have been doing this type of C and so far, so good. My headaches have almost disappeared after about 2 weeks of dosing (separate from sugar intake which takes a little clock watching). This has been a breakthrough for me. I hope this helps you with your child.
Also, to get a handle on what was causing my problem, I consulted a Body Talk practitioner who consulted my body (over the phone-if you can believe) and my body told her that CFS fluid wasn’t getting into one of my brain’s vesicles. This helped me immensely to know. I use a vibrator on my head before the windup of pain starts and dose with the DHAA at bedside (on ice). I now go back to sleep without the flushing and heart racing that my body was trying to produce the surge of energy needed to get CFS fluid into the vesicle. Caffeine at 3am. Is hard to go back to sleep on. This is a long string of ideas, but I’ve suffered for many years and tried many things. I’ve found this works for me. We’ve got the best forum around and since we are all experimental and crowd brain-storming, our solutions may be novel, and artistic. After all, fun is the point of life, right?

Peatful

@catan

My youngest I will talk about exclusively here. I would like to add she is our child with seasonal allergies- ragweed. So that is something to ponder huh?

Around 4th and into 5th grade she was complaining of vision changes. Mostly far away vision- but her complaints didn’t accompany anything else rather than acuity. As she went into 6th grade this year- she complained of reading acuity- but no longer distance issues.

I noted at the time her two close friends also were getting fitted for glasses. Incidentally
girlfriend A doesn’t wear them anymore and girlfriend N had to keep going back to get the rx adjusted.

I just thought about it pragmatically I suppose. Her eyeball must be growing- And I assumed a growing eyeball would indeed cause acuity changes.

And the complaints passed.

Her vision is fine currently.
I will take her in if she continues to complain- or it’s accompanied by headaches. But it passed.

Lastly, maybe it’s not the growth of the eyeball- and I assumed incorrectly; maybe it’s hormonally driven.

OP
C

catan

@Peatful thank you for sharing. It gives me something to think about.

The optometrist did basic tests and they could see her right optic nerve mildly swollen. Initial theories are infection or inflammation. Otherwise her eyes look fine, and no other symptoms. They wanted me to take her to the Emergency department right away for blood work, MRI scan, and lumbar puncture. I declined, needed time to digest all this info. My daughter was inconsolable by that time, just wanted to go home.

Peatful

@catan

I was thinking of her today and was going to contact you regarding the diagnostic appointment.

I am sorry for her. And know this is probably enormously stressful for you too.

Always go with your gut as a parent right?
My gut knew to watch and wait and watch and wait...

I hope it’s simply a passing virus.

After everything passes- would love if you could post here what happened.

Regardless, I hope it resolves as quickly as it came on. And that other symptoms never arise.

Take care.

Last edited:
OP
C

catan

@Peatful

Thank you so much for your post. Yes my instinct is to wait and see. It’s hard though with others’ opinions, and also with my anxiety over this.

I felt harassed at the clinic yesterday, they would not let me leave until I gave them a good reason.

Still about the same or marginally better and she’s figuring out how to manage with such severe vision impairment. Her mind is just as sharp if not more so now in dealing with things.

I am wondering though if this is something it’s possible to get glasses for even temporarily? Otherwise she’s unable to do work closeup.

ALS

I had blurry spots in my left eye and apparently it was due to follicular conjunctivitis, which is aggravated by histamine. The cure was allergy (anti-histamine) drops and prednisone drops. Just putting that out there -maybe it's something similar - looks like they didn't see any growths on the inside of her eyelid - mine tend to come and go.

Last edited:

Peatful

@catan

You said severe vision impairment. I don’t think I understood the severity.
My girls in comparison were mild changes and complaints.

I’m happy @ALS chimed in.

During ragweed season my youngest does take an antihistamine. Low dose. Liquid.
And you mentioned rubbing and allergies- so have you tried an oral antihistamine?

ALS

If it has to do with histamine, as I recall Peat stated that sugar (fructose, sucrose) had anti-histamine effects. I rely on fruits like grapes to keep the histamine from getting out of hand. I've got a genetic glitch where I don't produce enough anti-histamine (aka DAO) and so the added fruit tends to help.

OP
C

catan

@Peatful

Yes, her vision went from perfect to blurry literally overnight. Now that she’s with me 24/7, based on my observations that’s the only symptom. So far every day there’s marginal improvement.

I have not tried an oral antihistamine. I’ll look into it, it does seem like she might have allergies. We moved here recently so I’m not sure what could be causing it.

@ALS
Thanks for that info re fruit sources having anti-histamine effects.

Peatful

@catan

“So far every day there’s marginal improvement”.

This is great to hear.

Meaning no headache or pain or nausea or loss of balance or change in affect or change in gait or change in appetite...

Please keep me posted as able.
Hang in there!
Thinking of you both.

Peatful

None of this at all.

What kind of liquid anti-histamine do you use?
Cetirizine Hydrochloride
Oral Solution
1mg/mL

I buy generic brand here in the US at CVS

OP
C

catan

Updating here— the diagnosis is optic neuritis. Unknown what causes it, isolated to her right eye, and most likely will resolve on its own without treatment.

My original plan to wait and see, and seek out a second opinion, resulted in the first ophthalmologist reporting me to child protective services for declining the MRI and not taking immediate action for what he deemed was life threatening, although his finding was ‘mildly swollen optic nerve’ in the right eye.

I had a visit from CPS and we went to emergency to get the MRI (they wouldn’t hear of another option). After a more comprehensive evaluation by the head of ophthalmology and neurology team, optic neuritis was the diagnosis and the MRI considered optional.

They are still doing the MRI but conceded the contrast dye was unnecessary (prior to the evaluation they cornered me to give my consent to give her the dye). Also without anesthesia. The purpose is to see if anything in the brain going on that’s causing this condition.

In the time I sought out a second opinion, bloodwork showed she has allergies to wheat, eggs, cow milk. The dr suggests she has systemic inflammation going on.

Last edited:

Peatful

@catan

I’m sorry.

Troubling to hear this.

Not regarding the ON, but of the stress on you and your daughter.

Have you ever heard of Guillian Barre?
It’s a syndrome driven by a bacterial or viral infection- no know etiology and no known treatment.
It resolves on its own.
That’s what comes to mind with your daughter.
GB comes on suddenly; like her ON.

Hang in there.
I can’t imagine how stressful this has been.
You have a safe place here.
Take care.

OP
C

catan

@Peatful

Thank you for your words and support.

I’ve never heard of GB but it is a relief to know some conditions can come on suddenly and just resolve.

The ER ended up injecting the contrast dye without my consent and it was reported as medical error... at least a few doctors agreed it was unnecessary. MRI confirmed the diagnosis and did not show anything else. I think it was done mainly because of the CPS case.

It has been so stressful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals