Sudden and Crippling Depression

ursidae

Im suddenly overcome by heavy depression, a negative outlook that I can't overcome and a daily need to cry. The main theme is loneliness, a lack of meaning in life and a lack of connection to humanity. I can't pinpoint a trigger for this extreme sadness. It is overwhelming

Obviously something is amiss biochemically. Im trying to increase GABA and taking glycine, taurine, valerian, mint and hawthorne as well as getting lots of sun and some exercise. Doesn't seem to be helping, getting worse by the day

redsun

Im suddenly overcome by heavy depression, a negative outlook that I can't overcome and a daily need to cry. The main theme is loneliness, a lack of meaning in life and a lack of connection to humanity. I can't pinpoint a trigger for this extreme sadness. It is overwhelming

Obviously something is amiss biochemically. Im trying to increase GABA and taking glycine, taurine, valerian, mint and hawthorne as well as getting lots of sun and some exercise. Doesn't seem to be helping, getting worse by the day
Are you taking any substances that deplete minerals from the body? I know in the past you have used histidine for digestive purposes. Do you still regularly use histidine? Regular use can cause zinc and also eventual copper deficiency. Either of which will cause bad depression when they are low in the body.

What's your diet look like nowadays? You may also have some major micronutrient gaps that can be contributing to your depression.

Taking GABA enhancing substances wont help they may even make you worse.

ThinPicking

Sorry to hear you're feeling low Paddington. Be careful not to overthink at first, try to cover the basics. I'd stop all those supplements until you've ticked off the basics and enough time's elapsed for several transit cycles of your intestinal contents.

Start here, water, salt and hearty meals. Give your avatar time to react. Don't dwell. Don't beat yourself up.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
It isn't a quick fix but maybe your gut health could be better. I know my mood is much better now that I have incorporated beans several times a day into my diet. There is plenty to be depressed about but if your body is functioning better it isn't so overwhelming.

BlackMolasses

Are you slim? do you eat a lot? I tend to be very negative and ruminate when I eat less, hypoglycemia is a powerful trigger.
The main/upstream problem seems to be psychological, redsun's advice just above seems good, he gives good advice, but honestly I don't think anyone goes into depression because they "lack copper", especially when they specifies that he suffers from loneliness.

laleto12

Supps can do that, if you have just incorporated a new one, try to stop that. For instance, I know that Agmatine makes me depressed swiftly and harsh although it supposed to help with mental issues.

TheCalciumCad

It's trapped energy that wants to be acknowledged. Sun and movement are great you can likely distinguish the energy by acknowledging it and letting it go in the space of about 15 minutes then feel far better shortly after. I've had a few heavy letting go sessions this week which unearthed a pocket of depression (low energy) as i'm making some major lifestyle changes so theres alot of resistance coming up. Tapping into the emotional state so you can FULLY FEEL IT and let it go is rejuvenating and works like magic, then obviously use that energy to improve your quality of life. Read this book.

1662058766728.png

-Luke-

Probably less severe and not all of a sudden - more like an ebb and flow, but I currently feel the same way more often than not. So I can't really sit here and tell you what works and what doesn't.

But from personal experience I would agree with @ThinPicking. When I had a phase like that in 2017 I tried to throw supplements at the problem which only made things worse. It slowly got better when I stopped all supplements and stopped trying to outsmart nature. Maybe you're trying too hard and your understandable desire to get out of this state does exactly the opposite. Keep getting natural sunlight and do things that reduce stress, spending time in nature, do some yoga, whatever you like. Eat some chocolate. If you have someone you can talk to, do that. Just being around someone can help. You could also try to drastically reduce the time you spend with news and forums and especially social media if you use that in the first place.

"The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris could be a book worth reading.

I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon.

OP
U

ursidae

Are you taking any substances that deplete minerals from the body? I know in the past you have used histidine for digestive purposes. Do you still regularly use histidine? Regular use can cause zinc and also eventual copper deficiency. Either of which will cause bad depression when they are low in the body.

What's your diet look like nowadays? You may also have some major micronutrient gaps that can be contributing to your depression.

Taking GABA enhancing substances wont help they may even make you worse.
Havent taken histidine in months. I take B complex once in a while and a bit of zinc during menstrual bleeding.
As much as I try to minimise supplements my ability to fall and stay asleep has been poor so to get myself to fall asleep I take inositol, magnesium, phosphatidylserine (supplement contains some choline too), melatonin and the GABA increasing herbs. Maybe one of these is causing issues

Diet was well rounded but I had to quit dairy and eggs due to acne.
To add to that, my digestion took a turn for the worse so I had to stop eating legumes. I stopped eating potatoes too because I don't crave them anymore

Now it's lamb, buffalo, fish, rice, oats, vegetables and fruit. Some olive oil

InChristAlone

Too much acetylcholine can cause depression. Taking an antihistamine can help you out of a bad funk.

redsun

Havent taken histidine in months. I take B complex once in a while and a bit of zinc during menstrual bleeding.
As much as I try to minimise supplements my ability to fall and stay asleep has been poor so to get myself to fall asleep I take inositol, magnesium, phosphatidylserine (supplement contains some choline too), melatonin and the GABA increasing herbs. Maybe one of these is causing issues

Diet was well rounded but I had to quit dairy and eggs due to acne.
To add to that, my digestion took a turn for the worse so I had to stop eating legumes. I stopped eating potatoes too because I don't crave them anymore

Now it's lamb, buffalo, fish, rice, oats, vegetables and fruit. Some olive oil
Yeh I didnt think you still were I was just making sure.

Your diet sounds pretty well rounded but the removal of dairy and eggs likely led to iodine depletion. Do you supplement iodine or use iodized salt? You dont have a significant iodine source except for fish. And like most people I doubt you consume a significant amount of fish daily. Occasional fish consumption will not be sufficient to maintain iodine stores in the body. Likely you do not get even the bare minimum RDA for iodine daily which is probably not even optimal anyways.

We can experience depression when something triggers it. But if it seems to be a sudden non-specific depression, then likely something nutritionally is to blame. It would be a good idea to either try supplementing some iodine or start incorporating iodized salt into your cooking and see if you perk up.

Last edited:

ThinPicking

Also miss Paddington, start drinking chamomile tea. I like to brew it strong with a level teaspoon of honey. Good for fluid balance and a potent mood booster.

Dean

A 5 mg. lithium orotate (KAL brand) for a few days to a week has helped me stop the freefall at various times in the past.

haidut

Forum Supporter
loneliness, a lack of meaning in life and a lack of connection to humanity. I can't pinpoint a trigger for this extreme sadness. It is overwhelming

Ahem...this....is basically how a healthy human being probably should feel at least every once in a while considering what is going on around us 24x7. We are in a state of civilizational (Western) collapse, so I don't think such moods are unnatural or even negative. Keep in mind that most "healthy" people you see on the street every day are on psychotropic drugs (often more than one) and that is the only way they can "handle" the insanity around them. To quote Krishnamurti - "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society", and if most people were not high on drugs (pharma and otherwise) all the time you'd see a lot more people around you be/feel/behave like you.
So...I, personally, wouldn't fight such mood swings, assuming they are not constant and do not cripple your daily life. If you get to the point of learned helplessness and don't feel like even getting out of bed then an antihistamine or even some aspirin can help, but such interventions should always be done with the realization that it is just a "patch" and that life currently truly sucks for most people and there is no point living in denial. Rather, we should probably look for people in a similar state (and not on pharma mental meds too) and try to connect with them. This winter will be really rough in Europe...and the rest of the West, so the sooner you can find at least one empathetic soul you feel a connection with, the easier it will be to make it through.

OP
U

ursidae

Sorry to hear you're feeling low Paddington. Be careful not to overthink at first, try to cover the basics. I'd stop all those supplements until you've ticked off the basics and enough time's elapsed for several transit cycles of your intestinal contents.

Start here, water, salt and hearty meals. Give your avatar time to react. Don't dwell. Don't beat yourself up.

thank you
coconut water is probably good for replenishment
Also miss Paddington, start drinking chamomile tea. I like to brew it strong with a level teaspoon of honey. Good for fluid balance and a potent mood booster.
thank you. I like that tea can try that

OP
U

ursidae

It isn't a quick fix but maybe your gut health could be better. I know my mood is much better now that I have incorporated beans several times a day into my diet. There is plenty to be depressed about but if your body is functioning better it isn't so overwhelming.
it's not good at the moment. It worsened around the time of the onset of depression.

how many beans? I used to tolerate red lentils and peeled thoroughly cooked chickpeas but now they're causing issues. But if it's a very small amount it's doable

OP
U

ursidae

Are you slim? do you eat a lot? I tend to be very negative and ruminate when I eat less, hypoglycemia is a powerful trigger.
The main/upstream problem seems to be psychological, redsun's advice just above seems good, he gives good advice, but honestly I don't think anyone goes into depression because they "lack copper", especially when they specifies that he suffers from loneliness.
yes I'm slim and I haven't been focused on eating lately. I don't care to eat much and to be as disciplined with this as I used to be

Vileplume

I agree that it's probably gut-related. Gut stuff always is behind my depressive spells.

I think the supplements are likely worsening or causing it. I have never taken a single supplement that didn't cause digestive problems.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom