sudden alcohol intolerance

peatra

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this! For a couple of years at least, I have felt quite awful quite quickly from having even 1-2 drinks. I never had this issue before. It looks as though my liver may have stopped producing the enzyme needed to break down alcohol. I know the answer is stop, which I will - I never drank often, anyway - but I'm wondering if other have experience with this health issue and if anyone has ideas about what it could mean for my overall liver health.

tara

What form of alcohol? Alcohol is a burden on anyone's system, and stopping it looks like a good idea to me if you are after improving your health. But for some people other components can be a bit rough too. Eg some people react badly to compounds in red wine, or beer, but not so bad with a little vodka.

OP
P

peatra

It's as bad with vodka as it is with red wine, so it isn't sulfites. I think I can drink a low ABV beer without a reaction.

I never thought of it as a health issue because I drink infrequently and moderate alcohol is supposed to have health benefits. I certainly have to stop for now, but I think healthy would mean I was able to occasionally have 1-2 drinks, especially if it doesn't seem to be a genetic/lifetime issue.

Peata

How old are you? If you're over 30, it may be that you're developing some NAFLD.

Pet Peeve

The same happened to me. I used to drink several times per week and I just couldn't tolerate it anymore. Now I haven't tasted a drop in two months. I started to get some blood sugar issues after supplementing fish oil, some strange variety of insulin resistance i think. Alcohol supposedly lowers blood sugar and somehow this just makes me crash. I think you would need to rebuild your livers glycogen stores and possibly doing a lecithin detox for a couple of weeks. You can try to take one gram of lecithin and see how you feel, if you feel horrible this could mean you need it (and vitamin c 1-2 grams to overcome the detox reaction from the lecithin). Not very Peaty but it helped me lots. You could try chromium, biotin and lipoic acid - strangely enough they also helped me. Im not sure how this ties together but its my personal experience FWIW. I guess avoidance of sugar started a fat burning process that messed everything up.

BTW. When I drank just before I quit my reaction was pale face, social anxiety, facial and bodily "stiffness", mental slowness which came on with alcohol (which made me drink even more ironically).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals