Sucralose ( Splenda )

michael94

In animals examined for the study, Sucralose (Splenda) reduced the amount of good bacteria in the intestines by 50 percent, increased the pH level in the intestines, contributed to increases in body weight and affected P-glycoprotein (P-gp) levels in such a way that crucial health-related drugs could be rejected.

The P-gp effect could result in medications used in chemotherapy, AIDS treatment, and treatments for heart conditions being shunted back into the intestines, rather than being absorbed by the body.

courtesy of Dr. Mercola ( he is bashing "fake sweeteners" in this article )

Those sound like good things to me...besides maybe the weight gain but that might be an artifact of not adjusting the rest of the diet/lifestyle to different needs when doing the experiment like these idiots always do and they probably wouldnt even be able to if they were conscious of this concept... There lies the problem in reading animal studies without a heavy dose of malice.

I tend to trust artificial things more than "pure unadulterated nature", its time to take off the rose colored glasses when it comes to Nature...

Anyway, maybe Splenda could be useful every now and then.

SOMO

I've tried all the artificial sweeteners as well as the natural non-caloric sweeteners and have come to the conclusion that regular SUCROSE/FRUCTOSE are king.
The weight gain and/or "rebound" effect with sweeteners besides sugar (this includes non-caloric sweeteners like Stevia) is at least partially because artificial/natural non-caloric sweeteners provide:

1. Sweet taste and sweet "satiation". In other words, it can definitely satisfy a craving for something sweet.
2. But no caloric reward.
3. And no nutrients.
4. No insulin release (insulin is not a bad hormone, it has its place). A pro if you're diabetic possibly.

The calories, believe it or not, are FILLING and beneficial because calories trigger more satiety due to the primitive food reward system.
When you eat a piece of fruit, the sugar and nutrients are simply more filling than non-caloric sweeteners, even if you match the amount of sweetness.
Your brain is less confused after a piece of fruit than it is after Splenda+fruit flavoring.

I've personally experienced this myself, where Stevia lead to uncontrollable binging and inability to be satisfied even from very large quantities of high-fat+stevia-sweetened meals.
However, if I eat a small quantity of fruit, I do not have the urge to binge and I feel truly satiated.

Stevia if used as a mixture with sugar is probably good for reducing calories and losing weight.
Stevia/other sweetners used as a REPLACEMENT for sugar is likely to lead to binging and an inability to feel satiated/full/like you just ate a real meal.

Splenda/Stevia/Xylitol/etc. is great is you're obese and over-rewarding yourself with highly palatable foods (think yogurt + honey/sugar + chocolate) too frequently leading to weight gain.
Sweeteners that are artificial OR natural, if used as a sugar replacement, can help someone lose weight IF THEY HAVE THE WILLPOWER to overcome the inevitable "Rebound" effect from the fact that they were consuming something sweet but it didn't contribute nutritionally.

Highly-palatable foods that have a good "mouthfeel" (high fat + high sugar + soft/creamy/chewy textures) can trigger overeating, and often times these high-comfort foods don't have that much nutrition, so not only are you binging, but you're not getting much in the way of nutrition and thus these foods are highly-addictive, but low in nutrition.

Ella

Forum Supporter
No thanks, I would not touch it - organochlorides are estrogenic. I'll take my chances with real sugar.​

OP
michael94

michael94

xylitol and erythritol are incredible but too cooling to appropriate for most people, most of us are already lacking in vital energy. One has to be on fire, then can unlock the power of those sweeteners.

I dont know about stevia but I dont lump all no sucrose sweeteners in the same group. That is a huge mistake! And yes I like what you say though about these sweeteners not having to replace calories, they don't... Artificial sweeteners get a bad rap because theyre almost exclusively used in calorie restriction either chronically or acutely. Wouldnt you agree?

Sorbitol is made via hydrogenation of sugar, that's interesting dont you think. Sorbitol ( sorbus/rowan berries ) is associated with protection from malevolent beings. One has to be careful with sucre/sucrose, sucrose is an anagram for curse-Os ( curse You, curse Mouth ) as well cures-Os. So sucrose is a double edged sword. I will get more into the name "sugar" at a later time.

By the way I was watching Saturday Night Live this past weekend and there was a joke in one of their skits about putting household cleaners in your food and presenting it as some sort of ridiculous joke. Thats what"they" do sometimes. Present the truth as a jole. Yes "they" do that. A small anectdote: back when I was in uni and had my first experience drinking a lot ( alcohol is a decent solvent ) I began wanting to taste windex ( the window cleaning fluid ). Similar things have happened recently when in brief stints of high metabolic function as I began craving diesel/gasolina.

OP
michael94

michael94

No thanks, I would not touch it - organochlorides are estrogenic. I'll take my chances with real sugar.​
good to know, I think real sugar can be estrogenic long term not acutely. The accumulation of damage in the form of parasites or otherwise as a result of poor sugar utilization. Sucrose is a cure and a curse

Re.Generate

New poster

I realise this is very late to chime in - but I have been interested in this topic for a while - and found a study that seems to suggest that sucralose down regulates thyroid function - at least in this case study

- Autoimmune Thyroiditis with Hypothyroidism Induced by Sugar Substitutes

Now of course that could be a single person and not applicable to everyone....as is everything....but it definitely corresponds to how I feel when ingesting sucralose... especially if I'm having it on a daily basis...even if in small amounts

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals