Successful Methods, Strategies And Supplements To Combat The Coronavirus

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
It's a very thorough article. I like that it starts with giving a good rundown on what it is, and on what it's not. In so doing, laying the groundwork for meaningful action. There are many actions, foods, and supplements recommended.

Fortunately (as well as unfortunately), it's not Dr, Axe. As such, it's not meant for other people. Not a knock on you, but a knock on other people.

I once sent a Ray Peat article to my sister (and this is the smartest one of them all - I have 6 sisters). She sent me back a Dr. Axe article, and told me that is just right for her. She's just too busy with day to day distractions, and I can see her point. You're not writing at a Ray Peat level of where I have to read between the lines to understand his meaning, but including terms like 5-HT2B and some greek like B2-adrenergic would likely make her stop reading, even when you try very well to explain these. Again, it's not a knock, but saying I like it, but I can't send it to most of my friends and family.

It's very suitable for the Ray Peat Forum, as your articles do a lot to explain things that otherwise have to be mined from information buried in the many threads in the forum, interspersed with many a chatter too much of which strains the eyes.

Also adding this from Dr Wong, about the use of Robitussin and systemic enzymes on advanced cases already where the mucus is so thick:

Thanks for sharing that and appreciate your feedback. I do realize most of my articles are a bit too complicated for most. My content used to be even more complex so I tried to simplify it, but I realize that I'll have to simplify it even more to broaden my audience.

Anyway, nice article Hans. There was a good balance between "take this, trust me" and the reasons why (as yerrag already explained). My little 2 cents above made it sound like I was criticizing your article, but I wasn't.
Thanks man. No worries, I didn't take it up the wrong way. Really appreciate your feedback.

BearWithMe

Lithium:

https://f1000researchdata.s3.amazon...nalCollections=5&numberOfBrowsableGateways=23

Is lithium a potential treatment for the novel Wuhan (2019-nCoV) coronavirus?

Introduction
The current rapid spread of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) originating from Wuhan, China, calls for a rapid response from the research community. Lithium is known to exhibit antivi- ral activity, but the knowledge of its potential as a possible therapy for coronoviral infections has not been summarized yet. The aim of this brief report is to draw attention to lithium as potential 2019-nCoV treatment and prophylaxis.

Methods
On February 1st 2020 the following PubMed search was con- ducted with no language or time restrictions: (lithium and (coronavirus or *coronavirus or sarbecovirus or SARS or “severe acute respiratory syndrome” or MERS or “Middle East respiratory syndrome” or nobecovirus or merbecovirus or hibecovirus or embecovirus or andecovirus or buldecovirus or herdecovirus or moordecovirus or cegacovirus or igacovi- rus or “microhyla lentovirus” or milecovirus or alphaletovirus or tegacovirus or setracovirus or rhinacovirus or pedacovirus or “porcine epidemic diarrhea” or nyctacovirus or “nectalus velutinus” or myotacovirus or “myotis ricketti” or minuna- covirus or minacovirus or luchacovirus or duvinacovirus or decacovirus or “Rhinolophus ferrumequinum” or “transmissible gastroenteritis virus” or “feline infectious peritonitis virus” or “canine coronavirus” or “murine hepatitis virus”)). The search yielded 45 articles, of which all the abstracts were charted and reviewed by two researchers.

Results
Five studies reporting on the influence of lithium on coronaviral infections were identified (Figure 1).
In Vero cells, lithium chloride was shown to be effective in suppressing infection with the porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV), a member of the Coronaviridae family1. Not only PEDV entry and replication were inhibited in the pres- ence of LiCl, but apoptosis as well. In MARC-145 cells, LiCl reduced the production of RNA and proteins specific to the porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus. The authors, however, cautioned that the effect might have been
dependent on LiCl presence during the early stages of infection and the increase of tumor necrosis factor-α2. In vitro studies of another porcine coronavirus causing transmissible gastroenteritis indicated that LiCl acts on both early and late stages of infection and inhibits apoptosis3. The same research group from Harbin in China reported earlier that LiCl reduced the cytopathic effect of the avian infectious bronchitis virus (also a coronavirus) in primary chicken embryo kidney cells4. In Vero cells, African green monkey kidney-derived epi- thelial cells, and immortalized chicken embryo fibroblasts LiCl suppressed the avian coronavirus infectious bronchitis. The antiviral activity of lithium was ascribed to a cellular effect5.

Discussion
The possible molecular mechanisms of reduced apopto- sis include the inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase 3-beta (GSK-3β)6,7. Moreover, PEDV requires the PI3K/Akt/GSK- 3α/β pathway, which can be targeted at GSK-3β by lithium8. Curiously, GSK-3β is required for template switching, a proc- ess seemingly indispensable for the production of coronavi- ral genomic RNA. The inhibition of GSK-3β prevents longer viral subgenomic mRNAs and the genomic RNA from being synthesized9. Their production would require GSK-3β-dependent phosphorylation of the viral nucleocapsid and subsequent recruitment of helicase DDX1.
Lithium carbonate is an orphan drug widely used in the treat- ment of bipolar disorder. Its safety, when used correctly, is excellent10. The main concern in the setting of an infectious disease unit would be the potential for interactions with other medication, possibly leading to the elevation of lithium levels and acute toxicity, mostly renal. This may be prevented by monitoring serum lithium concentrations. To our best knowl- edge, no interactions between lithium carbonate and ribavi- rin, lopinavir or ritonavir exist. In unconscious patients lithium carbonate could be given via a nasogastric tube. In case of lithium carbonate unavailability, lithium orotate could be explored, which, however, remains much less known to medi- cal science despite being available as a dietary supplement.

Overall, we propose that in the case of urgent need lithium be explored by physicians as a potential treatment or prophylaxis for the novel Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV
Awesome find, thanks for sharing!

yerrag

Thanks for sharing that and appreciate your feedback. I do realize most of my articles are a bit too complicated for most. My content used to be even more complex so I tried to simplify it, but I realize that I'll have to simplify it even more to broaden my audience.
Glad to help by way of feedback.

I did mention Dr. Axe, and if I didn't say I abhor his style, now I'm saying it. He get a wide audience, but I doubt they really benefit much. A lot of what he recommends requires faith, as there is no worthwhile explanation that follows each recommendation. If he's wrong, there's harm. If he's right, I doubt people taking his advice would have the conviction to follow through with his recommendations. A little hiccup, such as a healing crisis, and his recommendations will be dropped.

Yet there's a segment that prefers it that way, and a much smaller segment that prefers the PhD version of it. Finding the middle, and which middle, is for you to find out as you go about it. Using this forum is a good way to go about it.

I personally think 5% is a high number for people that can be helped meaningfully. 0.5% is more realistic. The rest just prefer the sanctity and safety of delegating their health to an expert. I don't blame them. Learning about health requires the gumption to be confused and the road to healing is paved with disappointments.

GenericName86

Also adding this from Dr Wong, about the use of Robitussin and systemic enzymes on advanced cases already where the mucus is so thick:

So it is the Robitussin he recommends? saw he made a correction in the description, just got a bit confused by it - "CORRECTION; Mistakenly I said the name of the active drug was Dextromethophan when I actually meant Guaifenesin. Sorry about the mix up but the product name is correct, I meant the regular Robitussin syrup. All else is correct. Rerecorded this short in the wee hours, pardon my mixing up ingredient names. "

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

Dave Clark

What about good ol' olive leaf extract? Has shown good anti-viral effects according to what I read. Something I have used for years, stacked with oil of oregano, neem, garlic, etc. for any anti-microbial issue.

B

Braveheart

What about good ol' olive leaf extract? Has shown good anti-viral effects according to what I read. Something I have used for years, stacked with oil of oregano, neem, garlic, etc. for any anti-microbial issue.
Yes Dave....

whit

Great article!
Sound reason from a Peatish perspective.
Great solutions.
Really enjoyed it.
There is a small typo in the section on Iron however. Thought you might want to edit.
Thanks.

Lejeboca

@Hans ,
From your article "My personal dose is between 1-20mg daily. 20mg if I want to protect myself and 1mg for a maintenance dose."
How do you measure 1mg of MB? Thanks!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans ,
From your article "My personal dose is between 1-20mg daily. 20mg if I want to protect myself and 1mg for a maintenance dose."
How do you measure 1mg of MB? Thanks!
My bottle is a 2% concentration so 1 drop is more or less 1mg.

Grapelander

Good article. NAC should be kept on hand for acute lung detox.
"NAC inhibits expression of proinflammatory cytokines following exposure to bacterial cell components and infection with influenza A virus. NAC suppresses the “master signaling molecule” nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kB), which in turn prevents activation of multiple inflammatory mediators. NAC also regulates the gene for COX-2, the enzyme that produces pain- and inflammation-inducing prostaglandins in a wide array of chronic conditions."
"NAC has also proven effective against seasonal influenza and flu-like illnesses. In a large study of older adults who took 600 mg twice daily for 6 months, only 25% of those experienced influenza-like episodes, compared with 79% in the placebo group."

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

Grapelander

N-Acetyl Cysteine Saves Lives
Forty years of clinical research confirm the power of N-acetylcysteine to protect against various forms of pulmonary disease.
  • Acetaminophen toxicity and acute liver failure: the number one cause of acute liver failure in the United States.
  • Influenza: whose victims are primarily aging individuals—three quarters of all flu-related deaths occur in the elderly.
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the fourth-leading cause of death in the United States (includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis).
  • Helicobacter pylori: the bacterial culprit behind stomach ulcers, and a potentially lethal pathogen closely linked to malignant gastric cancer, the second most frequent cause of cancer death worldwide.
NAC has now been shown to protect laboratory mice from lethal influenza infection, synergistically enhancing the effects of several common antiviral medications. And a nutrient mixture containing NAC, green tea extract, certain amino acids and micronutrients had powerful antiviral effects in cultured cells, rivaling those of prescription flu drugs such as amantadine and oseltamivir (Tamiflu®). The NAC-based mixture actually affected viral replication for a longer period than did the drugs.

In the words of prolific medical theorist Mark F. McCarty, “The most foolproof way to promote survival in epidemics of potentially lethal influenza is to target… intracellular signaling pathways which promote viral propagation or lung inflammation.” McCarty goes on to cite NAC’s benefits as a multitargeted supplement with precisely those attributes. NAC at doses of 600 mg twice daily may significantly reduce the risk of a devastating bout of influenza.

Terma

(I linked Hans's article somewhere on faith before I'd had any time to read anything, so it was helpful, but I'd also leave a spot for NAC or NADPH promoters in there despite its unwanted effects on some bacteria/virus - note malic acid as well - but something I personally reserve for symptoms otherwise high protein fills in)
Finally, some studies suggested that monkey-AIDS induced mortality could be reduced by administering Sevelamer, which reduces LPS absorption. So activated charcoal may help.
Curious, anyone end up trying this? Seems like something that could pass: I drank activated charcoal for a week and this is what happened. Weak lines but regardless, if this is about comorbidities and you're told to stay at home for virus whose symptoms overlap with endotoxin and various poisonings (The endotoxin-induced pulmonary inflammatory response is enhanced during the acute phase of influenza infection etc)...

Forgot the lithium, convenient

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals