Successful Human Scar Regeneration By Topical Iodine: A Case Report: An Interim (3.5 Year) Summary

LeeLemonoil

This case report describes a rather unique mechanism of wound/scar-healing. There are some similar individula reports on the www from people who have obviously tried it accordingly to the method presented here.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987708006415

Control of regeneration and wound healing are scientific and clinical objectives. In 1997, topical Lugol’s iodine solution applied daily for 3 days to a 50 year old facial scar lead to hyperemic scar tissue. As a working hypothesis, the author proposed topical iodine could initiate, control and complete human scar regeneration. In 2005, after collecting three more surgical scars, topical iodine applications began. Within 3 days all four scars started regenerating. Stopping topical iodine halted the process. Within a week an appropriate adult scar formed. Digital cameras recorded events. Regeneration is complex and slow. Its appearance depends on whether scar is covered with plastic or open. Iodine’s chemical properties are discussed along with their reaction with epithelial cells. As there are no visible signs detectable changes from oral iodine on regeneration, details of iodine staining are more thoroughly described. Not all, but most important results are presented. Topical iodine induces hair growth in and around scars. Hair is regeneration’s workhorse, moving purposefully in all directions under arrector pili muscle power delivering regenate material accurately to scar tissues and coordinating centers. In addition, hair repeatedly self amputates possibly strengthening regenerating tissues. Two types of regenate material show under plastic wrap: white and globular. The white regenate appears and behaves somewhat like snow, but can be yellow, green or brown depending iodine content. The globular form of regenate material maybe derived from white regenate material with hair’s help. Globular regenate material is larger, nondescript, variable in size and color (depends on iodine content) and seemed usually associated with hair. There are two centrally placed coordinating centers 5 mm apart on major scars. Wrist centers have a palpable, but not visible ridge, between them whereas abdominal centers do not. Wrist centers lasted through all regeneration of the wrist scar, whereas abdominal centers were only present for about 18 months before falling off. This paper summarizes and adds to previous preliminary reports. The 50 year old scar regenerated completely 2 years ago. Small experiments on regeneration are possible because it is a slow process and more importantly can be stopped and started at will. These results support the proposed hypothesis topical iodine initiates, controls, and completes human scar regeneration.

tankasnowgod

Some of these threads have gotten me interested in Iodine once again. I'm still on the fence about oral supplementation, but have ordered some Lugol's and been using it topically on a few cysts and also scars. I did significantly regenerate a scar on my hand with iodine before.

This time, I'm going a bit more conservative. I am using 2 drops (maybe upping a bit) on a bandaid and covering cysts or scars. I used more previously, but that caused scarring and really dried out the skin. Not sure that is neccesary. I will report back. I have two scars on each ankle, so I might test Iodine against Methylene Blue to see which one works better.

Cirion

Yeah, Nathan Hatch (author of F*** portion control) who is coaching me currently recommends somewhere in the ballpark of 20 mg a day, because he says that is what the body uses up a day. Besides the fact that Iodine directly bonds to the thyroid gland, Iodine is also needed because it is a halogen on the periodic table, much like the other halides Bromine, Chlorine, Flourine. Chlorine is often seen in swimming pools. Bromine is in many pesticides and whatnot. Flourine is often in toothpastes and dentist treatments. All of these compete with Iodine for the thyroid gland, especially in an Iodine insufficient atmosphere, because Bromine, Chlorine, and Flourine are all also halogens on the periodic table and act as a "surrogate" for Iodine when the body can't find any Iodine to use. Unfortunately, even though they're also halogens, they are not proper replacements for Iodine, and in fact cause all sorts of derangements to the thyroid. Iodine must be supplemented to not only displace these toxic halogens, but to replace the supply in the body for use. The body is nothing more than a complex set of chemical reactions. When you consider this, and remember what you learned from high school chemistry, things start to make sense. As you can see, you need 4 atoms of Iodine to make a single molecule of T4 from the thyroid gland.

Nathan used to be a competitive swimmer. His health also started to really go down the toilet around this time frame too. I bet a large factor (besides the over - exertion) was probably all the chlorine that displaced the iodine in his system. If you go into a lot of chlorine treated swimming pools, eat lots of non organic food, and use a lot of inappropriate teeth cleaning methods, this is a quick way to get hypo.

Look at some of these pics and hopefully the light bulb will go off for anyone on the fence about Iodine like it did for me:

61pt2.JPG

Last edited:

Lolinaa

Great post. I might try some iodine topically.
@ Cirion: 20 mg seems a lot compare to Peat's recommendations. Do you take semenium with it?
What happened to Nathan happened to me as well. I used to swim a lot and absolutely loved it but it deteriorated my health really bad. I started to have anxiety and not feeling comfortable around people while I wasn't like that at all before.

tankasnowgod

Yeah, Nathan Hatch (author of F*** portion control) who is coaching me currently recommends somewhere in the ballpark of 20 mg a day, because he says that is what the body uses up a day. Besides the fact that Iodine directly bonds to the thyroid gland, Iodine is also needed because it is a halogen on the periodic table, much like the other halides Bromine, Chlorine, Flourine. Chlorine is often seen in swimming pools. Bromine is in many pesticides and whatnot. Flourine is often in toothpastes and dentist treatments. All of these compete with Iodine for the thyroid gland, especially in an Iodine insufficient atmosphere, because Bromine, Chlorine, and Flourine are all also halogens on the periodic table and act as a "surrogate" for Iodine when the body can't find any Iodine to use. Unfortunately, even though they're also halogens, they are not proper replacements for Iodine, and in fact cause all sorts of derangements to the thyroid. Iodine must be supplemented to not only displace these toxic halogens, but to replace the supply in the body for use. The body is nothing more than a complex set of chemical reactions. When you consider this, and remember what you learned from high school chemistry, things start to make sense. As you can see, you need 4 atoms of Iodine to make a single molecule of T4 from the thyroid gland.

Nathan used to be a competitive swimmer. His health also started to really go down the toilet around this time frame too. I bet a large factor (besides the over - exertion) was probably all the chlorine that displaced the iodine in his system. If you go into a lot of chlorine treated swimming pools, eat lots of non organic food, and use a lot of inappropriate teeth cleaning methods, this is a quick way to get hypo.

Look at some of these pics and hopefully the light bulb will go off for anyone on the fence about Iodine like it did for me:

61pt2.JPG

I did the high dose iodine protocol before, with mixed results. It was great at first, but I ended up experiencing some problems later, and discontinued it. Still been interested in it, but wary. Around the time I discontinued it, I was experiencing massive hypo symptoms, including the worst cold hands and feet of my life.

Although, that could have been due to other factors as well. I was paleo and doing A LOT of intermittent fasting at the time, as well as the fact that I was seriously iron loaded.

One thing that everyone admits on high dose iodine is that it can seriously spike TSH, into the range of 80-100 mU/L. I don't know if any of the companion nutrients necessarily stop this. However, thyroid, Vitamin D, Calcium (and possibly reduced phosphate) might. This TSH spike could indeed be the cause of any hypo symptoms while on the protocol, as well as a partial explanation for Wolf-Chaikoff. Peat is not a fan of high iodine, and the potential TSH spike is a good reason for that.

I know the Iodine docs say that the TSH spike is temporary (although can last for like 6 months) and generally don't worry about it, and blame most of the iodine symptoms on Bromine detox (very plausible).

Having said all that, I know a lot of forum members (including Burt Lancast and Captain Coconut) have great success and views on iodine.

Personally, I'm wondering if I might do better on it now that I've fixed a lot of problems, and if the high Vitamin D plan I'm on would prevent any hypo/high TSH symptoms.

Let me know any feedback you have on that level of iodine, because I'm chewing on this idea again.

tankasnowgod

@ Cirion: 20 mg seems a lot compare to Peat's recommendations. Do you take semenium with it?
What happened to Nathan happened to me as well. I used to swim a lot and absolutely loved it but it deteriorated my health really bad. I started to have anxiety and not feeling comfortable around people while I wasn't like that at all before.

Just adding that when I was a kid, chlorinated water really aggravated my skin. I always showered or rinsed off after swimming. One time, I got to swim in a pool cleaned with Ozone. THAT was awesome, and there was no need to rinse off afterwards. When I get a pool, I'll look into a system like that, or maybe use Iodine.

Cirion

Good points, I'm not the expert on this matter by any stretch of the imagination, so definitely supplement at your own risk & probably under the guidance of a Dr. (so no one sues me lol :p) I will definitely make a post in my log after I have some more time under my belt supplementing iodine.

Why is chlorine specifically used in swimming pools anyway? What is to stop someone from using iodine instead? Maybe I gotta refresh my chemistry, is it because Iodine is less reactive than the other halogens? This could also explain why the toxic halogens are so problemative (if they are more reactive than Iodine, I can see how they would compete and "beat" Iodine to bond with the thyroid)

The only way I personally can see too much Iodine being a truly bad thing is because I could see how it could make you hyperthyroid and use up too many nutrients (like you said, it can increase TSH, and if you get too much Iodine it could be kinda like OD'ing on caffeine or something). Still, I'd much rather swim in a pool of Iodine than I would of Chlorine.

just looked it up. I was right. Flourine is VERY reactive. 3.98 vs chlorine which is 3.16 vs Bromine which is 2.96 vs Iodine which is LAST PLACE at 2.66. Ouch, I can quickly see how having F, CL, and BR in the system can wreak havoc on the thyroid. In fact flourine is the most reactive element in the entire periodic table!!! I will never use flouride again on my teeth, ever.

pauling-scale.jpg

Last edited:

Cirion

Peat is a smart man and I agree with him on almost all things. I am not sure I agree with him on Iodine. You cannot manufacture Iodine (as far as I know), and most people get a very low amount of it every day, on top of the fact that the other halogens compete with it (like I mentioned), I can't see how you can possibly get enough without supplementation. Even Ray Peat takes thyroid (if I recall correctly) and I wonder if some of that would be mitigated if he took Iodine? If you can't make enough (and Iodine is one of the major building blocks) then you are forced to take thyroid meds.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and I'm always open to correction if I'm proven wrong, but this is my current stance. Good question on the selenium, as of now no but I do plan to start getting more selenium rich foods and I eat mushrooms every day. I am looking into brazillian nuts which are very high in selenium. When I ordered my lugols iodine off amazon I got a free E-book that recommended something like 200-400 mcg of selenium a day (which is pretty much impossible to do from food unless you eat brazilian nuts, hence why I want them) on top of 2-4 grams (yes grams) of Vitamin C, 400 mg magnesium, and some sea salt every day. They also suggested 50 mg iodine a day, which was recommended supposedly by a Dr. Abraham. That seems like a lot though, and I would definitely not take that much daily unless a Dr. recommends it to you. They even go so far as to say 300 mg a day if you have cancer. Again don't take 50-300mg iodine a day without the guidance of a Dr. I don't want anyone to do anything crazy because of my post. Just want to be clear lol

Lolinaa

Peat is a smart man and I agree with him on almost all things. I am not sure I agree with him on Iodine. You cannot manufacture Iodine (as far as I know), and most people get a very low amount of it every day, on top of the fact that the other halogens compete with it (like I mentioned), I can't see how you can possibly get enough without supplementation. Even Ray Peat takes thyroid (if I recall correctly) and I wonder if some of that would be mitigated if he took Iodine? If you can't make enough (and Iodine is one of the major building blocks) then you are forced to take thyroid meds.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and I'm always open to correction if I'm proven wrong, but this is my current stance. Good question on the selenium, as of now no but I do plan to start getting more selenium rich foods and I eat mushrooms every day. I am looking into brazillian nuts which are very high in selenium. When I ordered my lugols iodine off amazon I got a free E-book that recommended something like 200-400 mcg of selenium a day (which is pretty much impossible to do from food unless you eat brazilian nuts, hence why I want them) on top of 2-4 grams (yes grams) of Vitamin C, 400 mg magnesium, and some sea salt every day. They also suggested 50 mg iodine a day, which was recommended supposedly by a Dr. Abraham. That seems like a lot though, and I would definitely not take that much daily unless a Dr. recommends it to you. They even go so far as to say 300 mg a day if you have cancer. Again don't take 50-300mg iodine a day without the guidance of a Dr. I don't want anyone to do anything crazy because of my post. Just want to be clear lol

Lol, don't worry. If I use iodine I will just use it on my scar to see improvement. I don't like either taking too big dose of a new supplements and I do research a lot too to find the correct dosage. If one thing I have learnt is to take responsibility for our own health, and nobody has exactly the same problems. Thank you for sharing the protocole. It's a lot of vitamin c.
The brazil nuts are a nice option, I would favor selenium supplements instead just because of the pufas. I will read your log with great interests, and maybe start with a micro dose iodine as I still have swollen breasts before my period, even though most of my pms symptoms have vanished.

@tankasnowgod: apparently in the country where I live even in the swimming pool with ozone they put some chlorine. You dont smell it because the chloramine is inactivate (something like that). Yes me and my husband when we will have our swimming pool we will use salt and alga to disinfect it.

Cirion

I think small amount of PUFA is OK in a nutritious food, but yes, if I do get brazilian nuts I plan to limit my intake, and also probably take high dose vitamin E supplement with it to limit the damage. Also as long as your SFA/PUFA intake is at least around 10 it's not that bad. Yes it's a lot of vitamin C. I know one guy who takes 10 grams a day!

Iodine is certainly not the magic solution to cure all problems, it should be in the context of a healthy diet and lifestyle and used intelligently.

I am not surprised @ Taurine. Taurine facilities the GABA pathway which inhibits the anti-metabolic Melatonin, so it does not come as a surprise that it does other good things. Was just reading about this in Nate's book.

tankasnowgod

Okay, so I have been applying iodine to one scar for a couple days now, and applying methelyene blue to the other one. One thing I noticed for about an hour or so, the scar with the applied iodine will itch like crazy. There is no itch from Methelyene Blue. They are both long scars, and I am not trying to cover the entire scar at once, so each time I have applied iodine so far, it has been to a fresh part of the scar. I am applying iodine to a couple cysts too, and there is a similar itching/warmth the with the first application, not so much on subsequent applications. The itch from the scar was far more intense, however.

Both scars are about 4 years old, although they were on top of scars that were about 25 years old. I don't know it that makes a difference or not.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

Thanks for sharing @tankasnowgod , both agents interest me too very much for skincare/scar treatment. If you ever see results worthy of reporting pls do so

tankasnowgod

Thanks for sharing @tankasnowgod , both agents interest me too very much for skincare/scar treatment. If you ever see results worthy of reporting pls do so

I have faded a scar with iodine before. It was on my hand, and went from pink to normal looking skin, same tone as the skin around it. Only difference is that is does not grow hair, while the skin around it does. But i was using A LOT of iodine on it, and it scabbed over before it became more normal.

This time, I am applying two drops of 2% lugols to a band aid and keeping it on the area. Much less messy than the last time I did this, and I'm using fewer drops, but it is very effective at delivering to the skin, with both substances.

tankasnowgod

Could iodine protentially work for peyronie's disease?

Maybe..... but if you try it out topically there, be VERY careful. That's some super sensitive skin. I saw a quote on ever dubious Curezone that actually had a good suggestion-

"I have an important update to add to this thread on Paining the Testicles. Unfortunatly, the Iodine Thread was finally shut down at Marks Daily Apple for intense & inappropriate Troll Activity so I cannot update that thread anymore.

My update is counter intuitive, where Less is More. I had some worthless (clear colored) Iodine that I bought at the drugstore by mistake. It was 150mcg per 3 drops in a 2 oz bottle. Rather than throw it away, I decided to apply a dropperfull to my scrotum each evening = about 15 drops.

This Iodine is mostly water where the actual iodine content is only about 600mcg applied easily by cupping the iodine into the palm of my hand. The iodine concentration is so low that there is no burning the skin, and a carrier oil is not required. However the results are excellent. This recipe can be duplicated with Lugols 5% with 8 drops in a 1 ounce bottle or 15 drops in a 2 ounce bottle. (For 2% Lugols, simply double the number of drops.)

Older men like myself can now have a renewed sex life in a little bottle. Many thanks to T2T and the other pioneers for developing this fantastic procedure.

Grizz
"

Good luck, but proceed with caution.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

What do you think about Iodine-ethanlic tincturs instead of lugols watery solution for this purpose. In the phermacies in my country (and I guess many others as well) there are cheap iodinine-tinctures available comprised of for 100g: 2,5 g each of iodine and potassium iodide and the rest is a 90% ethanol. This should penetrate rather easily?

Dave Clark

I did the high dose iodine protocol before, with mixed results. It was great at first, but I ended up experiencing some problems later, and discontinued it. Still been interested in it, but wary. Around the time I discontinued it, I was experiencing massive hypo symptoms, including the worst cold hands and feet of my life.

Although, that could have been due to other factors as well. I was paleo and doing A LOT of intermittent fasting at the time, as well as the fact that I was seriously iron loaded.

One thing that everyone admits on high dose iodine is that it can seriously spike TSH, into the range of 80-100 mU/L. I don't know if any of the companion nutrients necessarily stop this. However, thyroid, Vitamin D, Calcium (and possibly reduced phosphate) might. This TSH spike could indeed be the cause of any hypo symptoms while on the protocol, as well as a partial explanation for Wolf-Chaikoff. Peat is not a fan of high iodine, and the potential TSH spike is a good reason for that.

I know the Iodine docs say that the TSH spike is temporary (although can last for like 6 months) and generally don't worry about it, and blame most of the iodine symptoms on Bromine detox (very plausible).

Having said all that, I know a lot of forum members (including Burt Lancast and Captain Coconut) have great success and views on iodine.

Personally, I'm wondering if I might do better on it now that I've fixed a lot of problems, and if the high Vitamin D plan I'm on would prevent any hypo/high TSH symptoms.

Let me know any feedback you have on that level of iodine, because I'm chewing on this idea again.
My wife uses two drops of Lugols/day, 5mg drops. Her TSH came back pretty decent, 1.6, maybe not optimol, but not bad either. Thought I'd give some feedback.

tankasnowgod

What do you think about Iodine-ethanlic tincturs instead of lugols watery solution for this purpose. In the phermacies in my country (and I guess many others as well) there are cheap iodinine-tinctures available comprised of for 100g: 2,5 g each of iodine and potassium iodide and the rest is a 90% ethanol. This should penetrate rather easily?

I would imagine it would work fine. It's about the same concentration as 2% lugol's, and ethanol is a great solvent.