Successful Human Scar Regeneration By Topical Iodine: A Case Report: An Interim (3.5 Year) Summary

tankasnowgod

Quick update.... I used a fair amount of iodine on my one scar last night. It did itch like crazy like before...... but my entire foot started to itch like crazy as well. It was fairly intense, and lasted about 45 minutes or so. This scar was from a surgery, and in that surgery, there was some nerve damage in my foot. Nothing too severe, but there has been a slight numbness on the top side of my foot since then. This may be a sign of the the nerve healing or reconnecting. I also noticed a stiffness in this area when I started high dose vitamin D. Anyway, something I thought deserved mention.

SOMO

Literally ANYTHING that irritates the skin causes more skin shedding/peeling and increasing cellular "turnover" (too much cell division is generally considered a bad thing though.)

High-Acid Peels are very popular in beauty spas/beauty salons.
Salicylic Acid, Lactic Acid and TCA all (and all are sold as beauty treatments.) cause the skin to shed, revealing the fresh skin underneath.
maxresdefault.jpg

61xz7TwM09L._SL1500_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Anything that is on the skin, INCLUDING MOLES, will be sloughed off/removed along with the upper layers of skin.

I was able to fade acne spots within 24 hours by using high doses of topical salicylic acid.

Iodine does the same thing - irritates the skin enough to cause skin shedding.

OP
L

LeeLemonoil

Will use the ~2% ethanol/water solution on two litlle scary spots on my belly. Very old scars from a little accident. One is hypo-, the other hypertrophic.

Makrosky

Quick update.... I used a fair amount of iodine on my one scar last night. It did itch like crazy like before...... but my entire foot started to itch like crazy as well. It was fairly intense, and lasted about 45 minutes or so. This scar was from a surgery, and in that surgery, there was some nerve damage in my foot. Nothing too severe, but there has been a slight numbness on the top side of my foot since then. This may be a sign of the the nerve healing or reconnecting. I also noticed a stiffness in this area when I started high dose vitamin D. Anyway, something I thought deserved mention.
Any updates on this ?

tankasnowgod

Any updates on this ?

I did the iodine pretty consistently on the one scar, and it faded a few shades compared to the other. I was not consistent with the Methylene Blue, mainly because IT GETS EVERYWHERE. And it stains. So, that one is not very practical.

I have pretty much stopped the iodine on the scar. Its a large area, and it itches like crazy if I put too much on (which seems easy to do). Basically.... not worth the effort, at least for the scars on my heal.

Iodine on moles, however? Man, it was excellent at fading those. Might continue to do that, cause it's easier to control (with bandaids).

For the one scar, I am trying urea crystals on it, now. Maybe a bit for the cosmetic, but I think Urea can help even old scars to regenerate and heal.

Makrosky

I did the iodine pretty consistently on the one scar, and it faded a few shades compared to the other. I was not consistent with the Methylene Blue, mainly because IT GETS EVERYWHERE. And it stains. So, that one is not very practical.

I have pretty much stopped the iodine on the scar. Its a large area, and it itches like crazy if I put too much on (which seems easy to do). Basically.... not worth the effort, at least for the scars on my heal.

Iodine on moles, however? Man, it was excellent at fading those. Might continue to do that, cause it's easier to control (with bandaids).

For the one scar, I am trying urea crystals on it, now. Maybe a bit for the cosmetic, but I think Urea can help even old scars to regenerate and heal.
Thanks for the update.

Which kind of iodine are you using? Lugol, povidone, iodine tincture, etc... never seem to stain or create a mess for me. If I apply them topically they stop to stain in less than 5 minutes. No need of bandaids or anything. Although I never used it for scars.

tankasnowgod

Thanks for the update.

Which kind of iodine are you using? Lugol, povidone, iodine tincture, etc... never seem to stain or create a mess for me. If I apply them topically they stop to stain in less than 5 minutes. No need of bandaids or anything. Although I never used it for scars.

It was Lugols. Usually, that's not even usually an issue, but the scars on my ankle are about 2 inches long..... So, I was using significantly more than what I use for cysts and moles. It was basically risking socks, or sheets depending on when I would apply it. Methylene blue is for worse in that department, however.

For the ankle scars (and the tissue around it), I think Urea might have a lot more upside. And "cosmetic apperance" there isn't really a concern for me, at all.

Philomath

It was Lugols. Usually, that's not even usually an issue, but the scars on my ankle are about 2 inches long..... So, I was using significantly more than what I use for cysts and moles. It was basically risking socks, or sheets depending on when I would apply it. Methylene blue is for worse in that department, however.

For the ankle scars (and the tissue around it), I think Urea might have a lot more upside. And "cosmetic apperance" there isn't really a concern for me, at all.
How did the urea work for you @tankasnowgod ?

lacelane

Were you taking the 2% iodine on your scars? You said it went a few shades less than before. I'm trying to get rid of some scars that I've had for almost 20 years. I used the 5% iodine and it did not itch or burn at all when the iodine is just on the scars. It shedded twice, both times it was so thick it was like a leather handbag. I think it is getting less and less, but it's on top of my head, so I can't really tell like if it was on the hand. I'm just going to keep at it over and over. I mean if it made a scab and shedded twice, I'm thinking the scar will go with the scab right? At least a layer of the scar will go with the scab, so make it scabby sever times and hopefully it will fade away out of existence.

Some of these threads have gotten me interested in Iodine once again. I'm still on the fence about oral supplementation, but have ordered some Lugol's and been using it topically on a few cysts and also scars. I did significantly regenerate a scar on my hand with iodine before.

This time, I'm going a bit more conservative. I am using 2 drops (maybe upping a bit) on a bandaid and covering cysts or scars. I used more previously, but that caused scarring and really dried out the skin. Not sure that is neccesary. I will report back. I have two scars on each ankle, so I might test Iodine against Methylene Blue to see which one works better.

tankasnowgod

Were you taking the 2% iodine on your scars? You said it went a few shades less than before. I'm trying to get rid of some scars that I've had for almost 20 years. I used the 5% iodine and it did not itch or burn at all when the iodine is just on the scars. It shedded twice, both times it was so thick it was like a leather handbag. I think it is getting less and less, but it's on top of my head, so I can't really tell like if it was on the hand. I'm just going to keep at it over and over. I mean if it made a scab and shedded twice, I'm thinking the scar will go with the scab right? At least a layer of the scar will go with the scab, so make it scabby sever times and hopefully it will fade away out of existence.

I've used 2% for everything, from the mole removal to when I've faded scars. If 5% isn't irritating, I assume it would work just as well or better.

The scar on my hand went from pinkish/reddish to normal skin color. It's still noticeable, because it doesn't have any hair follicles, but its the same color as the skin around it. I was mainly experimenting when I did it originally, as the scar didn't really bother me. So in that sense, it was quite a success, looks 90% more "normal."

That scar was from when I was a kid, so it might have been 20-25 years old as well, at the time I faded it.

lacelane

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! The one on your hand, did it form a scab, then you peeled it off, rubbed more iodine, then peeled off, rinse repeat until you say the scar is about 90% faded? The one on top of my head was thick, it could be a couple of millimeters above the normal skin. I'll post an depth explanation of it in another post. But I'm thinking that if it peeled off several times, a piece of the scar gets removed along the way with the old scab. The paper mentioned from the OP, Dr. Derry, somewhere in that paper I think he said it took 4 months to heal one particular scar, but the paper wasn't very detailed on that part.

I've used 2% for everything, from the mole removal to when I've faded scars. If 5% isn't irritating, I assume it would work just as well or better.

The scar on my hand went from pinkish/reddish to normal skin color. It's still noticeable, because it doesn't have any hair follicles, but its the same color as the skin around it. I was mainly experimenting when I did it originally, as the scar didn't really bother me. So in that sense, it was quite a success, looks 90% more "normal."

That scar was from when I was a kid, so it might have been 20-25 years old as well, at the time I faded it.

tankasnowgod

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! The one on your hand, did it form a scab, then you peeled it off, rubbed more iodine, then peeled off, rinse repeat until you say the scar is about 90% faded? The one on top of my head was thick, it could be a couple of millimeters above the normal skin. I'll post an depth explanation of it in another post. But I'm thinking that if it peeled off several times, a piece of the scar gets removed along the way with the old scab. The paper mentioned from the OP, Dr. Derry, somewhere in that paper I think he said it took 4 months to heal one particular scar, but the paper wasn't very detailed on that part.

It did scab over, and I did it a few times. I can't really remember details, as I did it a few years back.

Hugh Johnson

I did the high dose iodine protocol before, with mixed results. It was great at first, but I ended up experiencing some problems later, and discontinued it. Still been interested in it, but wary. Around the time I discontinued it, I was experiencing massive hypo symptoms, including the worst cold hands and feet of my life.

Although, that could have been due to other factors as well. I was paleo and doing A LOT of intermittent fasting at the time, as well as the fact that I was seriously iron loaded.

One thing that everyone admits on high dose iodine is that it can seriously spike TSH, into the range of 80-100 mU/L. I don't know if any of the companion nutrients necessarily stop this. However, thyroid, Vitamin D, Calcium (and possibly reduced phosphate) might. This TSH spike could indeed be the cause of any hypo symptoms while on the protocol, as well as a partial explanation for Wolf-Chaikoff. Peat is not a fan of high iodine, and the potential TSH spike is a good reason for that.

I know the Iodine docs say that the TSH spike is temporary (although can last for like 6 months) and generally don't worry about it, and blame most of the iodine symptoms on Bromine detox (very plausible).

Having said all that, I know a lot of forum members (including Burt Lancast and Captain Coconut) have great success and views on iodine.

Personally, I'm wondering if I might do better on it now that I've fixed a lot of problems, and if the high Vitamin D plan I'm on would prevent any hypo/high TSH symptoms.

Let me know any feedback you have on that level of iodine, because I'm chewing on this idea again.
For what it's worth, when I used iodine, I had nasty symptoms and my urine took on a horrid metallic taste and smell. The only explanation I could find was bromide in the urine. I used a lot of iodine to detox and now I notice nothing from it so I stopped. I would recommend anyone getting the symptoms to consume lots of saltwater and see if it helps.

GorillaHead

I read this study and I am confused isnt this bad. Regenerating scars? Wouldnt that mean the scar gets bigger? We dont want that?

Jam

Anyone know why my scalp skin starts to itch when i apply iodine on it. ?
Well, what form of iodine and in what concentration is it??

Jam

lugos 2.5 percent. it’s interesting because I don’t get this itch on my hands I tried it on a scar tho and i got itching
The elemental iodine in Lugol's is probably irritating the skin of the scalp, I would try diluting it in a bit of coconut oil.

GorillaHead

The elemental iodine in Lugol's is probably irritating the skin of the scalp, I would try diluting it in a bit of coconut oil.
Maybe u are right. . But I also suspect healing. When skin stretched or heals. itching is a symptom. I am curious if others also know more about this.